Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Spoiling the Beyond Game

Man that would be fucking crazy, and kind of awesome if in fact intentional. I'm not sure though. But it would be crazy.

Damn, I've read the spoiler and now I'm really intrigued. I never really considered this game before, but if I see it somewhere cheap I think I might have to buy it.

*Trying to forget spoiler* :frusty:

Start considering it immediately and then conclude the considerations with the intent of purchase.

a) What's with the two recent BGAE threads?

B) The sequel?

I think she does touch Double H's neck when she gets him out, but I can't really remember (very frustrating, considering I just played through that part the other day...). However, I don't think you can argue that everyone she touches gets infected after the first Domz encounter, because she touches Pey'j several times from then up until the point where he gets captured by the Alpha Sections and he never gets infected until the very end.

:shifty: And I don't think you need to use spoiler tags in a thread that says spoiler in the title.

I think Jade is a Domz.

I don't think she's a DomZ at all. I think she is the physical vessel for what the Domz had been after all along, that her parents passed her on to Pey'j because they knew the power within her. Jade is something akin to The Force in the Star Wars universe, a kind of neutral source of power that could be used for both benificent or malignant purposes (hence 'beyond good & evil'), and that in the course of the game's story she instinctively comes to realize that.

As far as Pey'j's 'infection', that may have more to do with the DomZ themselves rather than Jade. After all, it was the Domz's intent to kidnap and drain the population of Hillys, the DomZ are a nomadic alien species, travelling to various parts of the universe to corrupt and harvest the life energies of whoever are unlucky enough to be discovered by them.

I'm not going to respond because I just finished a sort of long post on the AG forums and I'm out of practice writing absurdly long posts so it has exhausted me. But I would like to say that I don't see any reason not to read into this stuff. God knows we're starved these days for games with stories that even CAN support this kind of discussion, honestly.

Yes, please, no "Dude, it's just a game." Whenever I hear that I want to kill something.

I didn't really understand the end because my audio kept cutting out for no apparent reason in the final cutscenes. :frusty:

I didn't really understand the end because my audio kept cutting out for no apparent reason in the final cutscenes. :frusty:
My version did the same. I let the computer chill when it happened and came back later. The problem was only with the voice channel, however, and only happened twice so I don't know what that was all about...

Ok then, here's my input:

1)People read too much into things that are left somewhat open like this (eg the matrix, half life, vanilla sky, evangelion)

2)BG&E is somewhat open (incomplete in fact)

3)The most obvious conclusion is probably the correct one. Here are the different points which I figure to be obvious conclusions based on things in the game(YMMV):

The Name:

The "Boss" refers to Shauni as "Shauni Ur Domz" during the fight in those chants he makes in the background. This would imply that Jade's proper name would be Shauni, and her choice of this as a codename is probably subconcious.

"Everyone you loved is dead: the children, the pig. "

This could be a read a couple of ways: He's lying to Jade to break her spirits or he really thinks that those people are dead (and is mistaken). I don't think either one has any significance.

The Alpha lead guy's use of the name "Shauni" isn't very significant either; Either he knows that Jade is the reporter codenamed Shauni or as a servant of the Domz he would have been instructed by the Domz Boss guy to track down Shauni/Defend against Shauni/whatever. Either one is inconsequential.

"If the boss lied, then Jade is just a normal human"

Well this is clearly impossible as Jade proceeds to go all Kwizatz Haderach in the end sequence. She's clearly some sort of special being prophesied to be able to control the Matrix according to her will.

On to the interpretations!

There are a couple of possibilities here, I think.

One is that Jade is a powerful being that the Domz wanted to control (and probably at one stage did control). This holds up with the things he says about having to subsist on inferior regular-humans.

Another is the Jade was created by the Domz in a Lord of the Rings style setup (eg that the Domz Boss put a lot of his power into Shauni).

Anything else is conjecture (hell, this stuff is conjecture too) and while entertaining, isn't really anything we can resolve without Ancel here or a sequel to refer to (dream on, you crazy cats).

Ok then, here's my input:

1)People read too much into things that are left somewhat open like this (eg the matrix, half life, vanilla sky, evangelion)

No they don't.

Well, they can, but that doesn't mean they do by definition.

No they don't.

Well, they can, but that doesn't mean they do by definition.

It's an observation, not a definition. The observation is that little mistakes or omissions on the part of the creators lead to wild speculation among the people who are paying attention to that sort of thing. A decent example is the February 30th sticker in vanilla sky, which had nothing to do with the directors or writers but spawned all kinds of crazy theories. That's what I mean by reading too much into the thing.

It also doesn't help that Vanilla sky is a fairly rubbish movie, but that's a different kettel du pisca

Of course, since it's all speculation anyway, it's very difficult to actually judge that somebody is reading too much into something.

Bah, I think it's healthy. Since we're not ever likely to have a sequal to this game, why don't we just interpret and discuss our own.

As far as I'm concerned, the sign of a good game is one that has you talking afterward, and Beyond Good and Evil is a good game, great even!

Reading all this has inspired me to pick up and play again. I had a great time playing the game, and would like to go back over and see things again. Maybe it will enlighten me some. :)

Twilo said - "Shauni Ur Domz"

U do releise, that in n00b spk, u jst gav us the plot 2 seqel...OMGWTF!!!

Twilo, you still messed up the Shauni reference. I don't see how it would be insignificant at all. In fact, if she's going to pick that out as her IRIS codename for no solid reason, except that the alien called her Shauni in the very beginning, then putting that aside as trivial is foolish.

You're misreading me. I don't think she picked it because of what that alien said at all. I think she picked it because subconciously she knows that it is her "proper" name.

When I talk about insignificance (and granted, I didn't make it clear) I mean that it doesn't have a significance that would change what the interpretation we have of the game (ie he is lying or he is wrong but in either case the story is the same, it's a minor point)

Hey, here's the information on the sequel someone posted:

http://img258.echo.cx/my.php?image=bge22xe.png

May I say that THIS is totally irrevelant ? Yeah, I think I can: the Jade we're shown in this small article is the first version of Jade that was turned into the model we know like three months before the actual release of BGE.

Beside, one can state that the condition for Ancel to be able to make these sequels is the success of the King Kong game he's involved in at the moment.

Regarding the title of the game, I must say that it has always puzzled me.

At first, when what I only knew about the game was the fact that we would play a journalist, I though that Beyond Good & Evil was refering to the position of war journalists who are witnessing the Evil but can't do a lot against it themselves.

Then, as I played through the game, I was always expecting a plot twist involving the IRIS network, making it less righteous.

When the children were kidnapped, I though we would discover it would be IRIS doing;like, it was the only they found to make Jade discover the ship and go to the Moon. Same thing when the final boss is faced.

But in the end, the title doesn't seem to have anything to do with the plot of the game : we know the side we're on in the very first minute of the game, there is no doubt about that and no ambiguity about the righteouness of our actions during the game[ note : that disppointed me a lot]... sooooo, if anyone can see an explanation apart from the Green Color Conspiracy thing, I'll welcome it gladly.

I agree, I was also a bit disappointed by that as I was expecting there to be a choice between sides (KOTOR style) though I put that aside while playing the game because it's just too good and over-rode my expectations with tenfold awesomeness.

I do realize that, but its supposively from XBOX magazine in the UK about a month ago. God damn, I know it's just speculation, but you could fucking pay attention first. Ugh.

Perhaps, surely even. But you might also want to consider that this news isn't saying anything new or different from the various rumors which have spread since the game launched.

Yeah, anything BUT THAT conclusion, you fucking cunt.

I don't know why you guys have to try to make me out as an idiot for starting a thread that is completely plausible

Wow, easy. First the 'Green Color Conspiracy thing was an attempt to include a slightly humorous note in an answer I found a bit too coldhearted. Don't go 'fucking cunt' for that. That is what might make you look like a complete idiot.

Secondly, I'm not closed to any conclusions based on more or less solid facts but the use of colors is a very basic way to convey latent discourse ( geez) so the fact you put that in spoilers and everything made me smile. I am sorry to have offensed you, but not that sorry.

Anyway, I think that Ancel is a smart guy - not the smartest guy around judging on what he delivered story-wise in BGE - and he must have included clues for the sequels. However, I think they might appear in the secondary story or in some small details (i.e. like the guy rumbling lots of things about "Illuminati" at the very beginning of Deus Ex) rather than in the main plot.

Holy crap, both of you chill out. I don't care who started it, but both of you look stupid for being in an arguement like this over a game.