jokemaster

Which games should be released for free?

Anyone else think that game companies should start releasing old games for free? Here are some I'd like to see. And let's be reasonable, don't ask for HL2 or GTA III or some other game that's recent or doing extremely well sales-wise. Also, in their entirety, not

Pre-CMI LEC games

Pre Quake III id games.

Unreal 1

Duke Nukem series

Pre Red Alert 2 C&C games

Warcraft 1 and 2

The Police Quest series

Most of those are still for sale, very few companies release their old games for free, unless they are making a sequel and hope to attract more costumers, like that Tribes game...

Isn't Rockstar the only company that releases it's old but not prehistoric games for free?

The other companies either put them on sale in packs or budget priced...

The there the companies that release for free 15 year old games or more, like Infrogames releasing their old C-64 games for free...

It's more likely that companies release their old games are payed downloads than giving them away for free...

:oldman:

Free, yes, but legal? No way!

Softdisk still sells most of Id's old games so those aren't legal abandonware links! :oldman:

@Eproxus : Old ID games had their source code released, but none of the graphical material from any of their games are legally distributed for free. So basically you can run Doom, but only with homemade maps and models.

Anyway, I'm not sure games should become free xx years after their release. If the game is good, you will still appreciate it the same way 5,10 years later. I'd rather buy 4 good old values for 15$ each than a steamy Half-Life 2 for the same price.

Most of the old Id Software games are free.

id software still sells all its games in the company's store.

As McChicken said, only the source codes have been released.

I would argue that a good game is a good game, and that if you want to play something old because it will offer you an excellent and rewarding experience, the creators of the game are in no way obligated to release it for free. Sure, it'd be nice, but it would also be nice if I could get diapers, wool sweaters, and large sunglasses for free :oldman:

Yeah, besides, every game is released for free. Its just if you want to take it or not....thas the question. And one thats been beaten to death, so don't even think about it.

This got off topic pretty fast!

I'd like to see a bunch of the old Adventure games (like Legend of Kyrandia, Maniac Mansion, Discworld etc) released for free since: They were done when the PC made them best and the "adventure genre is dead" (LucasArts spokesperson).

I'd rather buy 4 good old values for 15$ each than a steamy Half-Life 2 for the same price.

You know, that would be a lot more effective if you mentioned a recent, much-hyped game that was actually bad. One with a 3 in the title, maybe, but I'm not going to make suggestions.

And there is other companies that has released old games for free (e.g. Bungie)

You know, that would be a lot more effective if you mentioned a recent, much-hyped game that was actually bad. One with a 3 in the title, maybe, but I'm not going to make suggestions.

Well, it's just my point of view, but I already know that I will absolutely enjoy re-playing Doom 3 in five and more years. The game has such a solid engine (like every ID games) and feeling that it will still be great. However, I already bet in 5 years everyone will be bored by a game which gameplay is only based around its physic engine.

Personally I think MMORPGS should be free at the software level, or at least available at a lower price.

You mean to tell me I'm going to pay you 10-15 bucks a month AND pay $50 for the game? Hell, the longer I play the more screwed I get.

Well, it's just my point of view, but I already know that I will absolutely enjoy re-playing Doom 3 in five and more years. The game has such a solid engine (like every ID games) and feeling that it will still be great. However, I already bet in 5 years everyone will be bored by a game which gameplay is only based around its physic engine.

I was bored by Doom 3 (admittedly, what little I played of it), but I have already played HL2 twice through completely. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, because this is so way off topic.

Honestly, I can't imagine myself spending any money on a game that is more than 5 years old! Sometimes I do like to have a look at some of the old stuff, but those would be games I already own and cherish....

I would argue that a good game is a good game, and that if you want to play something old because it will offer you an excellent and rewarding experience, the creators of the game are in no way obligated to release it for free. Sure, it'd be nice, but it would also be nice if I could get diapers, wool sweaters, and large sunglasses for free :oldman:

I love your nickname and your avatar.

You know what I loved? I loved the way in DOTT, you could play Maniac Mansion on the computer in Ed's room. That was a great idea.

I'd like to see all of the Commander Keens released for free. Let's face it, iD refuses to acknowledge the existance of the franchise anyway.

"Commander Keen?! No way man, we make clever, edgy games like Doom, Quake...and....LOOK PENTAGRAMS! AREN'T WE SPOOKY!"

*sigh*

I miss Robo Red. He always scared me much more than any pixalated mess of brown and red in Doom did.

I'd like to see all of the Commander Keens released for free. Let's face it, iD refuses to acknowledge the existance of the franchise anyway.

"Commander Keen?! No way man, we make clever, edgy games like Doom, Quake...and....LOOK PENTAGRAMS! AREN'T WE SPOOKY!"

*sigh*

I miss Robo Red. He always scared me much more than any pixalated mess of brown and red in Doom did.

They released a Commander Keen for the Game Boy Color, but it was mediocre... ;(

Both Id and 3D Realms have the Commader Keen games for sale and you can get Keep Dreams from Softkey, the only one hard to find is Aliens Ate my Babysitter... :oldman:

Well, that's mostly because of Adrian Carmack.

He always despised the cheerful Keen games and has always wanted to make gory&dark themed art.

Do you know that Tom Hall wanted to make Keen's 7-9 and was "promised" that those would be made.

He kind of left id soon after when they said to him that Keen is over.

I played a couple of the old Commander Keen games recently. Then I wondered to myself... WHY. It was the saddest point of nostalgia.

I think that anything around 5 years old or more should really be released for free... because how else is anyone going to play it? Occassionally you find it in a bargain bin or on a dusty shelf somewhere... about a week ago I picked up an original copy, box and all of Secret of Monkey Island at a garage sale for $1. Otherwise you're never going to be able to find the damn thing.

I mean honestly, unless you manage to download it illegally, you won't be able to play games that old. They're impossible to buy and find, so just give them away for free on the official websites. At least it will give the companies a chance to promote their new games through advertising by downloading their old games for free.

It's either that, or sit on e-bay and hope.

Defeatist... :mock:

Unless we are talking about TSR-80 games they will always show up on Ebay, and some companies sell their old games, I got Commander Keen from the Apogee store and I even got ZZT and Jill of the Jungle from Epic Classics...

I'm all for releasing games for free (or at least as pre-order bonuses, like Sam & Max for Armed & Dangerous, or as part of a CE like Pirates Gold in the Pirates CE) but sadly, publishers balk at it most of the time.

There are a lot of problems...who's going to support a free game is a big one, but also legal issues pop up often with the developer. That's what prevented EA from releasing System Shock 1 for free...which I *almost* had happen back at Blue's News. It killed me when that fell through. :sad:

As always, blame the lawyers. :legalese:

There are a lot of problems...who's going to support a free game is a big one, but also legal issues pop up often with the developer. That's what prevented EA from releasing System Shock 1 for free...which I *almost* had happen back at Blue's News. It killed me when that fell through. :sad:

aw jeez. Thanks for trying. Truly a philanthropic endeavour. :opa:

I think I got it on underdogs.org

...or maybe suprnova...

aw jeez. Thanks for trying. Truly a philanthropic endeavour. :opa:

I think I got it on underdogs.org

...or maybe suprnova...

I have an original CD version, but even though I tried my damndest, I couldn't get it to work under XP in a satisfactory manner (IE: with movies and full audio at full speed).