Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

College

If it's any consolation, IMO everything and almost everyone in Texas sucks. :oldman:
Hey, dude, you're an Okie. It doesn't get worse than that. :fart:

Actually, I had never heard of Art Institute affiliates until after I got my BFA. Isn't the one in Houston related to the one in San Fransisco, and some other U.S. cities? The Art Institute Of Chicago is on its own (not affiliated with other schools), and it was one of only two on my list. It just happens to be one of the top art schools in the world and I picked it because it was in my hometown and because I used to take high school summer studio art courses there (which were what turned me on to it).

I was interested in fashion design and fine art, the other school on my list was the [back then] Ray-Vogue College Of Design. I was so dumb then, I didn't know Ray-Vogue was a cheap ass trade school for talentless fashionista wannabes that doesn't even offer a full 4 year degree program, just an associate's degree (I'm such a fucking snob), and I'm glad I literally chickened out from applying there. Instead, my sister (god I love her!) pestered me until I applied to SAIC - and I got accepted!!!

I'm so glad for that, because it turned out that many of the world's top contemporary artists actually go there to teach classes, and I got to take some with them. One time I even got to see Andy Warhol in person some time before he died (he looked so surreal, like a waxy department store mannequin in a bad white wig, fragile and all). In the Fashion Department my sketches were critiqued by Gianni Versace and someone took a picture of us and gave it to me later (Versace was so fucking sexy in person), and there were days when artists like Twyla Tharpe, Ed Paschke, or even film directors like Jim Jarmusch would show up to give lectures. Usually I couldn't attend because I was too busy with projects. Oh, and Hugh Hefner ended up donating his Chicago mansion to the Art Institute, so some of my classes took place there, and they even turned part of it into dormitories for the students. Unfortunately it got too expensive for the school to keep up so they had to sell it.

Man, those were some of the best times of my life. :woohoo:

We had our share of dumbasses at SAIC, too. Most of them were spoiled rich kids who were goth or punked out or wore expensive clothes with obscure labels. They were not talented, but they were excellent at posing and making it known that they were in the program of a top art school. The talented ones were those who rarely ever peeked outside their studios and were on grants and scholarships. They worked their asses for the money.

Some of my greatest times were spent going to starving art student parties in Pilsen, Bucktown, or Wicker Park, where The Smashing Pumpkins came from. One of my erstwhile schoolfriends, Christine, was a painting major and was at the time lead singer Billy Corkin's girlfriend, and we would occasionally go to one of their local concerts (usually at the Metro in Lakeview, near Wrigley Field). This was before Smashing Pumpkins got famous and big. I didn't go out all that much because I had to work on my projects, but I always had an awesome time when I did. Usually there would be a local gallery or co-op space showing grad student work and we'd go there for the free beer. But most of the time I was stuck in the studios late at night working. In the other departments - photography, painting, filmmaking, video, performance, etc. - there were also students doing 'overnighters', we all lived off the vending machines near the Film Center, and bummed cigarettes off each other and drank cold stale coffee with No-Doze to stay awake. Twas a great time of bonding, yeah.

Are you taking any Asian art history? Good stuff! Especially if you got a great professor. It's good to take 'cause there are influences and parallels with some contemporary western 'isms' and individual artists. I love comparing Agnes Martin's stuff to ancient Chinese landscapes, for example.

No... although I did accost the curator of the SA museum of art, the ancient oriental department, with some random L5R* questions once...

*) Tabletop RPG set in an pseudo mythical orient that I sadly never played.

I've been trying to get some pictures of this place up but I haven't been able to for reasons way too boring to go into. I noticed a few days ago that on the crack den-side (I'm seriously not exaggerating with this) there appears to be bullet holes in the windows, I assume from when they pinned down that drug lord last year.

Spaff: yeah, actually my place is a hall of residence. I just say dorm because it's not quite as lame. I don't know if there's any substantive difference. Also, what do you mean what's with the number? All the lectures have numbers, man.

Also today was kind of weird because when I was coming home at about 7:30 I saw this group of maybe twenty people gathered facing each other on opposite sides of the street. And I thought maybe they were in gangs and were going to start singing and dancing like in West Side Story or something. Which would have made me happy because, for no real reason, I love it when people spontaneously break into song. So I walked through one of the crowds and there was no singing. There was, however, an old guy lying behind a parked car, completely still, with another car parked just in front of him in the middle of the road. There wasn't any blood or any apparent way that he could have been hit by a car, but regardless there he was just lying there, face down. And there was another guy, who I think was homeless, standing next to him screaming at people and using the word fuck a lot. And everyone - I mean, apart from that guy, was just standing there quietly.

Anyway, that doesn't have anything to do with college, but it was pretty disturbing nonetheless.

I was the world's worst roommate in college, with 13 roommates in 4 years (I stayed for the summer semesters, hence the high number). After my first year with the same roommate, I decided the only way to live comfortably would be to assert my ownership over the room. So every other roommate I was stuck with learned quite quickly that he was a guest in my living quarters for a semester.

I had some pretty wacky rommates. There was Ubek the Uzbek (he was from Uzbekistan), who was an okay roommate during a summer semester until he was deported (he was in the US on a government scholarship, when his government ran out of money...doh!). But my favorite roommate was the guy who slept all the time.

I mean all. The. Time. There was a five day period when I never saw him awake. He make have gotten up at some point, but he never did it when I was around. I used to watch loud movies with friends over in this tiny, tiny little room we shared, and he'd sleep straight through it. He was great because he slept so much that he never bothered me. He moved out at the end of the semester so he could live on the "quiet floor". His reasoning? "I like to sleep."

I also smoked out a few roommates...I only got smoking roommates, but even they weren't prepared for my chain smoking habits from those days. When you're trapped in a room the size of a closet with someone who smokes over two packs a day, it can be tough to handle if you're not used to that sort of thing.

Generally however, I loved college. Aside from the fact that I met my wife and several of my closest friends there, I was able to study at length what I wanted to (philosophy and religion), something I haven't had the luxury to do since. Plus because of my wacky major, I never had to take math. w00p.

I also smoked out a few roommates...I only got smoking roommates, but even they weren't prepared for my chain smoking habits from those days. When you're trapped in a room the size of a closet with someone who smokes over two packs a day, it can be tough to handle if you're not used to that sort of thing.
Ahahaha! Ohhhoohhooo! Oh man, that makes me laugh... Ahahhehhahahahehhaa! Hah ahhh aahhh aahhhh hhhaaaahh! Hohoho hohooohhhhooooo! :woohoo:

My halls rocked. All I did for a year was drink vodka, snort far to much charlie, get naked with chicks and do some fucking stupid shit. best friend nearly died because of it and I ended up seeing a "head doctor" to get my life sorted afterwards, but hey, it was fucking fun at the time.

At least he never masturbated to pr0n on your computer and left the used towel on the keyboard. :deranged:;(:nuts::fart:

That is the most disturbing thing I've ever heard.