Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

IGDA anounces GDCA nominees

over at gamespot They have the nominees of the GDCA.

Some noteworthy things on the list: Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude gets a nomination in the writing category :crazy:. Half-life 2 unsurprisingly gets 6 nominations :shifty: and there is only one EA game on the list: burnout 3, which gets a grand total of 2 nominations.

The winners will be announced at the GDC march 9

I voted for half-life2 and gish, and sanandreas for technical innovation. Seamless driving a round a whole state is difficult to implement. Even if the flying looks crap.

Seamless driving a round a whole state is difficult to implement. Even if the flying looks crap.
All too often I turn around a corner sharply to encounter an extremely low-res world. Still, it is ok. The shaders are sexy.

For Character Design

Prince Of Persia: Warrior Within (Ubisoft Montreal / Ubisoft Entertainment)

- Nicolas Bouvier, Mickael Labat

Wholy jebus and Mariam and Moses. What crack are they smoking.

prince-of-persia-warrior-within-20041206042610583.jpg

Best new studio award definately goes to

Crytek (Far Cry)

- Avni Yerli, Cevat Yerli, Faruk Yerli

For Character Design

Prince Of Persia: Warrior Within (Ubisoft Montreal / Ubisoft Entertainment)

- Nicolas Bouvier, Mickael Labat

It appears game developers themselves don't necesserily have more taste than gamers or game journalists. :shifty:

To be fair, SoccerDude's picture fails to show the backside of the character, which is a feat of minimalist clothing engineering. They even have a close-up to show it off.

And since Redwall has brought it to my attention,

Doom 3 for any award at all?

Shouldn't there be a 'Night of the Golden Thumbs' ? In order to give a meaning to the expression 'game awards'

You know, a fake ceremonial in which the Idle Thumbs Staff would give some prizes like :

- Thumb of Main Character going to the voice actor, the dialog writer and the character designer

- Thumb of 'Get Yourself Some Coders' game going to Vampire - Bloodlines

- Thumb of the Most original gameplay

- Thumb of the best Mainstream Game

things like that... Yeah one can find that stupid but I had to say this.

Thumb gives away the prestigious Polished Turd award. That is the end all be all of awards for the game industry awardsmiting.

my opinions ...

Best Game

Half-Life 2 -- theres simply no competition!

New Studio

The Behemoth (Alien Hominid) -- for being an awesome indy developer ... i havent played hominid yet, but i respect them for having the balls to self-fund the whole project

Audio

Doom 3 -- i quite liked doom3, and after the wow-factor of the graphics went away, the sound still got to me time & time again.

Character Design

Half-Life 2 -- without a doubt. excellently crafted characters, who seem as real as you and I, not because of the graphics, but because of their stories, emotions, etc.

Game Design

Katamari Damacy -- i've only played it briefly, but its the most original thing i've played in a long time.

Technology

Doom 3 -- the only REAL next-gen graphics engine. Source is still very much in leauge with Q3A when it comes to graphics rendering and stuff. the D3 engine is truely innovative programming by the only man who can pull off more-or-less making a full engine single handidly ...

Visual Arts

Half-Life 2 -- ... having said that, hl2 made up for that by having an awesome and coherent world, which is great!

Writing

Half-Life 2 -- wins by default, the only game on the list i played :) ... although the writting was great anyway.

SiN

I'm sorry sin, but Doom3 is anything but a single man project ;)

But yes, it's one neat bit ot technology.