Salka

Random people discuss Psychonauts

Today I purchased Halo 2 and a Crystal Xbox. On the whole, I give that experience a 5.843 out of 10. I also went to a lecture on Genetics and many pictures of George Bush and Apes were shown by way of demonstration, which is sad because even highly paid University Lecturers are going out of their way to laugh at the US now. I also went to another lecture on dead bodies. That was pretty gross, especially the part with just the heads. I am now an expert on dead people.

Here was the coolest part though; At work, I forced a co-worker of mine to buy Full Throttle and he totally digs it. However, he is stuck (something to do with bunnies) and was asking for hints. He is now in love with the game. Then, another co-worker came up and said, "Speaking of games, have you guys heard of Psychonauts??? I downloaded the trailer for it yesterday and at first I thought it was a pixar movie! And it looks hilarious!" at which point the other guy goes, "Oh, yeah, I think I read about that. The little bug-eyed kid with psychic powers."

It's weird because it's the first time I've heard people talking about Psychonauts (and Tim Schafer) that aren't, you know, us.

It almost brought a tear to my eye.

Almost, but not quite, because I am a heartless saleperson with a heart of stone. Or at least, it WOULD be a heart of stone, if I even HAD a heart. But since I don't, it's just an empty hole in my chest, carved of pure marble.

To be perfectly honest, I was actually more than a little jealous. I mean, I have followed Psychonauts from it's conception, right through the pregnancy, and that one time there was complications and it had to go into hospital for a while, and I'll be there when it's born. But now there's all these people and they're all like, "Man, Psychonauts, blah blah blah!" and that sucks, because it's like Psychonauts is a cheap tart that's sleeping with everybody in town and isn't my special baby any more.

But there is a little echo of sadness that murmers in that cold, dark marble cavern, and it cries, "I miss the days when Psychonauts was unknown but to me! And everybody else from Adventuregamers, IdleForums and AGSforums and also LucasForums but other than that pretty much nobody!" It's like, all this time that Psychonauts has been UNKNOWN, and NOT sitting on shop shelves, there has been a little hole in my heart. But now, that hole is being filled in with the soil of COMPLETION, slowly but surely. I should be happy, and yet I grew used to that little hole. I had become attached to it. I had planted little Forget-me-knots all around the outside of it, and lined it with one-thousand-gauge-plastic, put pebbles in it, and filled it with water. Then I'd put little goldfishies in it, and this one fish that looked like Dori from Finding Nemo, and I called her Dori, too. And there was all this pond weed in the corners, and a couple of lillies. And every day I'd go and sprinkle a little Fish Food on the top.

How can fish live in a filled hole? How can Lillies float on stuff that ISN'T water? How can Forget-me-knots --oh, alright, they're still there because they weren't technically IN the hole to start with. But whatever. Now the hole is simply part of a huge meadow filled with grass and forget-me-knots, and dead worms and shit like that. Oh well. They say if you love somebody, you let them go.

Or whatever. I don't know. To be perfectly honest, I'm slightly drunk. Hurray for Psychonauts!

Now the hole is simply part of a huge meadow filled with grass and forget-me-knots, and dead worms and shit like that.
:finger:

Deadsie Sweetyhunnypies is not shit.

But on the other hand I'm not on a meadow either, so I don't care.

It's way, way, way, WAY better that more people know about Psychonauts. Things that would be totally lame include the game being released and only the Internet Adventure Community buying it.

I've still yet to hear anyone else in real life talk about the game, with the obvious exclusion of the many people I rant about it to every day.

It's way, way, way, WAY better that more people know about Psychonauts

No it's not! Things that would be COOL would be if it was released and only I bought it!!!

Seriously though... I was surprised to hear people talking about it. He's bringing me in the full trailer today which I was too lazy to download myself.

It's not that I don't LIKE people knowing about Psychonauts... I am just going to miss the hole.

I'll also miss the fact that it was our little special game. but just remember, all the people that'll buy Psychonauts won't really understand it. Only we will. Because we're op the same wavelength as Tim.

:gaming:

I guess it's natural to be a bit resistant to something you really dig becoming popular, and everyone and their grandmother knowing about it. In the past I've had pangs of 'But it's my object of obsessive fandom!' over various things.

But I talk to people about Psychonauts all the time, I really want the game to be recognised for its almost-certain excellence and fun. I just know a lot of gamers I know will love it for so many reasons, but they might not have come across it just yet.

It's kind of like a favourite underground band, which we'll call The Xenophonic Headcrab Juicers. If only you like them, as your little secret, they'll probably become disheartened, broke and give up eventually, never to make their uniquely hypnotic badass grooves again. It's much better for The Xenophonic Headcrab Juicers to ascend into the stadium-filling, platinum-selling bloated rock gods you know they're capable of being. Share the love, go Double Fine!

It's kind of like a favourite underground band, which we'll call The Xenophonic Headcrab Juicers. If only you like them, as your little secret, they'll probably become disheartened, broke and give up eventually, never to make their uniquely hypnotic badass grooves again. It's much better for The Xenophonic Headcrab Juicers to ascend into the stadium-filling, platinum-selling bloated rock gods you know they're capable of being.

They were way better before they sold out.