Sign in to follow this  
Erwin_Br

New Playstation 2

So two days ago the new PS2 was released here, and my brother bought it. It's twice as small as the original PS2, it's got some new hardware and has built-in Internet support. You can't really put it vertically anymore, though. Because it's too small and the CD tray is located on the top. (Or side, if you turn it vertically, heh.)

I've been playing some GTA San Andreas on it, and I'm hugely disappointed by the graphics quality, compared to the PC version of Vice City. Small lines (powerlines in the street, for example) are incrediby pixellated.

--Erwin

I love the new PS2. It's so tiny so I always carry it around in my pocket.

I played ICO and Katamary Damacy on it. They're both extremely short games. grrr

i already own a ps2 so i wont be getting it, but it does look nice. it can stand vertical but you need to by a special stand for it. kinda pointless though as mentioned above because of the top loading. the only draw back is that you cant get a HD for it. not that big of a deal because not many games would use the HD.

I've been playing some GTA San Andreas on it, and I'm hugely disappointed by the graphics quality, compared to the PC version of Vice City. Small lines (powerlines in the street, for example) are incrediby pixellated.

Perhaps. But you forget about them (or at least don't care) after about 10 seconds when you realise that SA is the best game ever.

You know, after some soulsearching, I suddenly realised that if I were to get a second console (next to my trusted Gamecube), it would be an Xbox.

It kind of stumped me. A year or so ago I hated the machine. But now that I've experienced it a lot up close, I can't help to love it. Yes, even more so than the PS2.

Strange how things change in your head over time, don't you think?

(not that I'm getting a second console, because I can't afford it)

i already own a ps2 so i wont be getting it, but it does look nice. it can stand vertical but you need to by a special stand for it. kinda pointless though as mentioned above because of the top loading. the only draw back is that you cant get a HD for it. not that big of a deal because not many games would use the HD.

You Americans and your hard drives! Feel the might of us Europeans, who...um...can't buy them...

Seeing as space is becoming quite a consideration, I'm highly tempted to buy this, just for San Andreas and Ico and that turd-rolling game, if it ever happened to come out in the UK (hint: no). MUST! RESIST!

What do games use the hard drive for anyway?

You know, after some soulsearching, I suddenly realised that if I were to get a second console (next to my trusted Gamecube), it would be an Xbox.

It kind of stumped me. A year or so ago I hated the machine. But now that I've experienced it a lot up close, I can't help to love it. Yes, even more so than the PS2.

Strange how things change in your head over time, don't you think?

(not that I'm getting a second console, because I can't afford it)

Same here. When it first came out, I hated the x-box, but after shrinking the controller and getting some better games, I now own one.

And Katamari Domacy is incredible, my favorite game for the ps2 (because I buy GTA for PC, not ps2) and one of best games this year. If you have a ps2, you must buy it.

San Andreas really impressed me. I wasn't expecting it to... it is like GTA meets The Sims meets Morrowind...

You Americans and your hard drives! Feel the might of us Europeans, who...um...can't buy them...

I live in England, and stuck my old PC's 80Gb hard drive inside my un-modded PS2, allowing me to install and play games with greatly reduced loading times and no need for disk swapping, via a nifty lil' thing called 'HD loader'. If anyone's interested, it's only available from online stores, and has recently stopped being manufactured, so don't leave it till too late as they'll only get harder to find. There's a good FAQ here...