Sign in to follow this  
Kolzig

Flatout

Heh. I looked at the site again and found the scrollbar in the downloads page. It was not very noticeable so previously I thought the Ragdoll Trailer was the ONLY trailer. But it doesn't change much.

Yeah, I must admit I did the same thing. That's why I thought the marketing was focusing solely on the ragdoll stuff, so apologies to Kolzig for the misunderstanding.

Even so, Jaero's points still stand. :)

Thank God someone noticed that it's called the RAGDOLL Trailer. As in, this is the trailer they made to showcase the ragdoll physics. If you want to see something else, watch something different. For fuck's sake.

That trailer was positively gruesome. It looks like they may have crossed the line from comedy pain ragdoll tumbling to horribly real shrieks of pain and cracking bones and blood trickling from mouth in painful awkward silence. The physics look cool, but if it's going to be all about the corpse being mangled underneath passing cars (in other words, a Horrible Car Accident Simulator!), I don't see much of a game.

Finns seem to love the 'gruesome injury simulator' premise for their games, don't they? ;)

Does this game have irritating repetitive music ala Stair- and Truck-Dismount?

Jesus christ. The game is not about killing ragdoll 3D models, you just happened to watch a trailer that was all about that one feature. Calm. Down. What is this, a forum for disgruntled mothers?

Does this game have irritating repetitive music ala Stair- and Truck-Dismount?

Flatout will feature 11 tracks from relatively unknown rock bands, so I think that answers your question.

Flatout is a *little* bit different league than the one man made Dismount games.

I love when they enter the thread long after the real discussion is over to let everyone know that their thoughts on the matter are worthless because it's "just a game". I could be senselessly extreme and say that Hitler was just a politician.

Snubs, Lindset... The comments in this thread were not solely about this game of the 'ragdoll' feature. Some were about violence in games in general. Regardless, it's called the expression of opinion. This thing we're on right now, it's called the internet. Put two and two together. And shit. People are going to express their opinions whether or not you like them, so it's a bit futile (not to mention rude) to come in after the fact and say something to the effect of "chill out, your opinion is stupid".

For the record, I am not a disgruntled mother. In fact, I'm likely the target audience for most games of this kind; a young male, old enough to play and not violate the ESRB rating. God forbid someone other than a parent looking out for their children have an opinion such as this. From my posts in other threads, one should be able to guess that I'm opinionated and mildly cantankerous (and often tangential). One feature of one game is allowed to piss someone off, cochise(s), whether or not you like it. If you actually give reason enough as to why you don't think we should say what we think - please, join the actual conversation and tell us why. You can see what good the snide comments do in the aftermath.

:deranged:

Oh, sorry, I didn't know there was a time limit I had to abide to. I just thought slamming the game just because of that one feature was overreacting, and you blew the thing out of proportion. Wait, am I allowed to write this? After all, the discussion is over ;(

Edit: Btw, I said that mothers thing jokingly... I guess it's kinda hard to express without a smilie (why doesn't this forum have a tounge-out-of-mouth smilie?)

Yeah everyone, the game is out on friday, shut yer trap and go buy it. :innocent:

Lindset: yep, but not in the U.S. I might make an order online if this gets good reviews.

"Regardless, it's called the expression of opinion. This thing we're on right now, it's called the internet. Put two and two together. And shit. People are going to express their opinions whether or not you like them, so it's a bit futile (not to mention rude) to come in after the fact and say something to the effect of "chill out, your opinion is stupid"." -Jaero

This seems a little hypocritical to me. What made Lindset's post into anything other them some guy expressing his opinion, just like you were? I think it's funny - I see it all the time - when some guy bashes what some other guy says on the internet, and then the other guy fires back saying something corny like, 'it's called an opinion, look it up.' Was the first guy, the guy who 'disagreed' with the other guy's opinion, stating a fact? Oh well, you get my point (or probably not).

Now, not to be an ass here, Jaero... Scratch that, this is pretty assinine but I'm just stating my opinion here on the internet: How is it, exactly, that you can justify even making the statement about expression of opinion and how stupid it is to bash it on the internet when A: I wasn't bashing it, merely stating the obvious that it is, in fact, the ragdoll trailer and henceforth kinda lame for bashing the game for showcasing that little adventure in physics when it was clearly labeled as such and 2: Your entire post contradicted itself, in a way, by critiquing two peoples' opinion-posts when your post argued that critiquing opion-posts is stupid/worthless/not worth the pixels the words take up on the monitor? (Maybe I stretched the bit about the pixels out of proportion/invented it but hey, this is fun) Oh oh! And I never said the entire thread was about the ragdoll bit. And if I recall, Lindset did not say that it was either. But I won't defend him because people need me defending them like Ghandi needed liposuction. Moving on.

...Actually, I'm done. I've forgotten what most people said and I'd rather study for my flight review than re-read. So there's my opinion, feel free to tear it apart, piece by piece, maybe even turn my words around and use them against me. S'all good fun.

All I gotta say now though is, wait until they make a new Carmageddon with that puppy. That'll pucker some politician buttocks.

Or has my sarcasm been a little thick?

God dammit Fum, could you not have waited 5 minutes? Everyone always beats me to the punch.

Little bastard. :mock:

Sorry man, my bad. ;)

Umm, oops. :blink: Didn't know the general populous of the world had forgotten the ways of satire and subtle sarcasm. I'll try not to blow minds from now on.

:benstein:

Umm, oops. :blink: Didn't know the general populous of the world had forgotten the ways of satire and subtle sarcasm. I'll try not to blow minds from now on.

Hear that, Snubs, we're the general populous of the world! Awesome. :clap:

By the way, Jaero, you made allot of good points, I just was dragging into the open a small inconsistency that jumped out at me. I don't really see, though, how your response was satirical or subtly sarcastic...but maybe my sense of humor is just too simple.

(I'll see your Ben Stein and raise you a Mr. T: :benstein::mrt: )

LOL! It scares me that for half a second, I considered the offer, Lindset.

Fum, I made that post at 9:30 this morning. For me, that's dangerous. I had intended it to be funny... but given that I was comatose... um, not so much. But I did address the fact that I judged inconsistently, without having seen the whole site. So, my bad, but that is why I said "after the fact", since I'd already said it.

Now I'm just confusing myself. Hmmm... I'll see your bet, and raise you the pot.

:wtf:

That thing stole five minutes of my life as I stared at it. Drooling. Kind of cross-eyed. I will never have those five minutes back. My life to me will be five minutes shorter. I'm going to die five minutes sooner. I feel violated.

No way my :poring: can match that. I fold.

Your order for FlatOut (Flat Out) has been posted.

Please allow 3-5 days delivery.

Please check the following order information:

Title: FlatOut (Flat Out)

Price: # 17.99

Delivery Cost: FREE

Woohoo! :woohoo::clap::tup:

Sweetness. I should have this by morning. Meanwhile, those of you on broadband, please let me (and me alone) know what you think.

(I don't quite have enough balls to call your green llama-dick. I fold.)

I downloaded the demo, the car physics are nice, the damage model looks sweet, there's two demo tracks and one ragdoll playground track.

Everything seems great and nicely done, except the ragdoll thing, it's a bit overdone, I don't know yet if it can be adjusted customly in the full version but here's hoping.

It's a full on arcade racing game, just what I expected. :)

EDIT: It has come to my attention that there most likely is a on/off switch or a adjusting thing for the ragdoll feature.

The physics are great, best I've seen in a game so far. Amazingly detailed, everything reacts realistically, especially all the bit and pieces of the car. Graphics are real good too. But yeah, the rag doll that jumps out of the car every time you hit something too hard seems unrealistic and over exaggerated. They really need to have an option to strap a seat belt on, because the novelty of flying out the window dies fast (like, before I even saw it). It's not in anyway offensive to me, just somewhat annoying. But overall a real fun game, I'll definitely consider ordering this puppy.