z_bill

[Dev Log] Power Wizard 3d: A 3d Story

I'm going to try and make something in 3D!!! Yay!!

....In Gamemaker 2! Boooo!!

So yeah it'll be a challenge and I'll see if I can get anything done at all. What I wanna do is sorta ambitious and probably not gonna be called what I titled this thread.

If I get anything playable I'll release it, but I'm thinking this may be a mad longer-term multi-jam project...like something I only mess with when jams be jammin'.

Stay Spicy JamsPersons!

Okay! Here's some kinda gross concept art....

fhnBznH.png

(spot the reference!)

I've got the mouselook and 3d movement in. I even got some models in the game for walls. I'm doing the kinda hacky deal of making the level walls imported 3d models.

8T9PaS6.gif

I'm using MagicaVoxel which is cool. I haven't gotten the textures to work properly yet. But that might be okay as I'm not against the glitchiness thing (as players of my old games may know).

It seems to want square texture files at 64x64 or 256x256. But MagicaVoxel's deal is that it's just a png palette 256 colors (x 1 pixel). If anyone knows a solution here, please let me know.

Things I'm NOT going to put in checklist:

• Jumping
  • Any varying heights for the floors or ceilings at all really
  • Shooting
  • um..anything besides walking around and collecting things and activating gates
  • I kinda wanted you to be able to pick up things and throw them
  • er...I just messed up this list

I need to figure out how to do billboard "player-facing" sprites next I think.

I tried real hard to get this working the past week. Here's what I wrote on Twitter:

My exploration for a 3d first person game in GMS2 has hit a brick wall. Just so many problems with this POV in GameMaker.

Any 3d model you look at that's at a higher "depth" than the viewpoint of the camera has flipped/weirded-out faces. Also, it has no idea it has to draw further models first. So you'll often have far away objects seen, as if by x-ray, thru nearer ones.

These things could be fixed if I knew what I was doing...not hacking this together w/ a bunch of other people's code. (I've noticed all the successful examples of 3d in GMS are top-down, not 1st person)...but then I arrive at "other engines just do/fix this junk automatically."

At first I was like "cool if it's glitchy, it'll suit my game anyway." But, you know, I'd like to be able to make it look right if I wanted it to. So I'm back goofing with Godot, but postponing this for now.

That's where I'm at then. I'm going to post some gifs that illustrate the issue I'm having later. Maybe some dudes here can help. Otherwise, I'm likely back to scratch in an engine I don't know unfortunately.

Here is a gif of my problemo:

WgFiaQu.gif

That blue/yellow guy is a default model from MagicaVoxel. 

Notice that when the camera is along the ground the faces above the guy's legs are weirded out/probably flipped. When floating higher and looking down everything looks great.

(also at the beginning you can see how the guy draws through the "grass" gray blocks. This is a problem I think I can fix however, but haven't put in the time yet.)

I'm going to consult reddit for a maybe solution. Cuz I'd like to salvage this and still use GMS if at all possible. 

I'm super impressed with this! I don't know how to fix the problems tho. Hope you find a solution!

Thanks!

I now have a skybox (sorta, not really) and I'm really happy with the models grayed-out and dithered before you can see them.

BIIdQpn.gif

What I won't have, sadly, is anything to play tomorrow...

Echoing eronin's sentiments that this is super impressive with GameMaker as the engine! You can always PM the itch admin (dino) and he can submit stuff for you after the end date. :)

Here's a final not-final gif for this thing as I'm putting it to rest until (likely) the next wizjam when I intend to finish(?) it!

bLMl2TT.gif

I am very happy with the progress I made.

And though I'm not as much in this event/community anymore as I'd like to be, I'd like to thank every one of you! Thank you! See you in Wizjam Land 2019.5!