Jake

Tone Control 24: Bennett Foddy

Tone Control 24:

Tone Control 24

Bennett Foddy
Some games love you. Some games are indifferent to you. Some games fucking hate you. Some game DEVELOPERS fucking hate you. Bennett Foddy, by god, fucking loves you. He believes in you. He knows you can do it. And also he'll be there, laughing, every time you fail. Get to know one of modern game design's uncompromising masters of the absurd and the sublime in this installment of Tone Control. And also try to figure out what the fuck cricket even is.

Sports Baffled By: Cricket

This was one of the best episodes of Tone Control. The part when Bennett talks about "the moment" is very interesting (* this sentence makes no sense out of context, just trust me). I've never heard someone explain it like that. I'm sure 5 years from now we will have developed the language to describe more succinctly that feeling, but until then we have this. 

Oh shit, I forgot about Mega GIRP! RIP 285 Kent.

The whole Babycastles crowd was obsessed with Bennett’s games. The word QWOP just became like a generic greeting or interjection for a while. I think if someone streetpasses my 3DS right now, they’ll be greeted by my Mii just saying QWOP!

My meager contribution to the culture:

Excellent episode.

It took me a while to find this. At 1:33:25 on he talks about his student “Nina from Fullbright” making a game called Cibele, about how she’s putting herself in the game that inspired him in Getting Over It. It’s on steam, and the site is ninasays.so/cibele. Check out the trailers.

header.jpg?t=1447550160