Jake

Idle Thumbs 315: Goty Over It With Idle Thumbs

Idle Thumbs 315:

Idle Thumbs 315

Goty Over It With Idle Thumbs

The year finally over, you drag your tired, ragged husk into your desk chair, flick on your monitor and reach for your mouse, but your hand slips and falls to your side, sleep finally overtaking you. Two days later you wake up, rub the gunk out of your eyes, drink a half gallon of water, and feel alive for the first time you can really remember. "Let's leave the past in the past," you say aloud as you flick through your podcast library, "show me something new, I've had enough of 2017." Your eyes scan the description for the latest Idle Thumbs, and after skimming over a familiar sounding description of someone falling asleep using a computer, you settle on the final sentence. Though you didn't think you would, you smile: "Join us for a loving look back through our favorite video games of 2017." 

Discussed: Welcome to 2018: Take what you can get, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, Overwatch, Flappy Bird, Heat Signature, Super Mario Odyssey, Cuphead, West of Loathing, Thimbleweed Park, Oxygen Not Included, Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy, Gordon Freeman's Perfect Playthrough, video games academic curriculum, games you think won't be for you but end up loving, Civilization, Golf Story, Far Cry 2, Spelunky (2008), Spelunky (2012), Spelunky 2, Insufferable Pedantic Gamer With Chris Remo, the reason Sheik can't use Zelda's magic in Super Smash Bros, Star Wars, Weird Weird Popsenfarts GmbH

Totally agree about readability of PUBG making it a better spectator sport than Overwatch. I don't play either game myself but I like Kotaku's Highlight Reel series where clips from both are frequently featured.

Whenever a Overwatch clip comes on it's usually 30 seconds of colorful madness and I'm left going "Wh- what was I supposed to be looking at there? What was the the interesting thing?". Then a PUBG clip comes on where someone jumps a motorbike into a second floor window and I'm like "Ha! Great!".

The perfect embodiment of the supercut of Half-Life that Gordon sees is segmented speedruns. This one consists of hundreds of segments, each attempted hundreds of times probably, and in the end it's completely seamless

Well, if you want to know what the first controversy about Spelunky 2 - it isn't due on the Xbox One, after the first was a showcase on the Xbox 360.

Okay, not a big deal to most - I am just sad that I might not be able to play it.