Sign in to follow this  
Henke

Music Of The Year 2017

That's right folks it's time to pick your MOTYs! List your favourite 2017 songs/albums/mixtapes and let your fellow thumbs be enriched by your amazing music tastes!

I haven't listened to many albums this year so I'll just list my...

Top 5 Tunes

Superorganism - "Something for your M.I.N.D."

I actually discovered this less than a week ago so perhaps I'm a bit premature in putting it on the list, but I can't think of another song from this year that I've ended up replaying over and over as much as this one. That chorus is an instant earworm.

Hercules & Love Affair feat. Faris Badwan - "Controller"

This is probably actually my tune of the year. It's really good. Really good. It's almost as good as "Blind". That's how good it is.

Charlotte Gainsbourg - "Rest"

It's another cool and moody song by that French lady. Produced by one of the Daft Punkers apparently.

Mustasch - "Lawbreaker"

Swedish hardrockers Mustasch are back with a gloriously dumb song that's fun to scream-sing along to while you're driving.

Mavis Staples - "Try Harder"

Finally, Mavis Staples with a song about trying to be a better person. That's a message we can all take with us into 2018.

https://productlust.bandcamp.com/releases

Cassette EP by Product Lust. This is actually a 2016 but I saw them play earlier this year and it was a great show. Surf rock meets doom metal screaming.

https://unusualsquirrel.bandcamp.com/album/fuck-sandwich

Fuck Sandwich by King Missile front man's new act, Unusual Squirrel. Meditative and tongue in cheek monologues ranging subjects from fucking, sublime music, slow buses, financial predators.

https://parisonic.bandcamp.com/album/anatol

Anatolé by Paris Treantafeles. Mellow space funk melodies on 80s hardware.

I mostly listened to old music this year but my favorite working band, A Giant Dog, put out a new album and while I prefer their previous two albums there's still some great stuff on it, like this.

My favorite old music I discovered this year is The Platters, which is a 50's/60's vocal group. They're most famous for their rendition of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" but pretty much any one of their songs where tenor Tony Williams is the lead vocalist is a heart melter. 

I bought myself the The Platters Ultimate Collection for my birthday and it's been wonderful seasonal music, with some of the same tenor and atmosphere of classic Christmas music but none of the schmaltz and, most importantly as a real-life Grinch, none of the Christmas.

I did a little round-up of my top albums of the year in this Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/i/moments/940636642418810883

Hard to pick a single track, but the title track from Hurray for The Riff Raff's The Navigator nicely represents what is a really fine album.

I tend to buy a lot of reissues and compilations but, for whatever reason, I've not kept as up-to-date on old music (if that makes sense) this year. One big relevation was this box set of early, scrappy recordings from Twin Cities punk heroes Hüsker Dü. I'm still getting to know it, but it's great that this stuff has finally made it out.

On 12/12/2017 at 8:23 PM, Simon said:

the title track from Hurray for The Riff Raff's The Navigator

I've been listening to this this tune a few times now and, yeah, it's good stuff! :tup:

I'm digging that A Giant Dog track up there as well! On the topic of "Only you", have you played Batman: Arkham City? It's got a pretty amazing rendition of that song over the end credits. :)

I've been see the Riff Raff around best of lists so i'll deffo be listening. 

My faves of 2017 are (in no particular order):

Perfume Genius - The whole album

Passionfruit by drake. 

New Rules - Dua Lipa

Tonya Harding - Sufjan

Fench Montana - Unforgettable

Woman - Kesha

Some of the stuff I have enjoyed a lot this year. I'm probably forgetting a bunch of good albums, and haven't had time to familiarize myself with others.

Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 3

Technically came out last Christmas, but physical release was this year. I also don't mind that it is one of my albums of the year two years in a row.

St. Vincent - Masseduction

Queens of the Stone Age - Villains

Laura Marling - Semper Femina

Nadine Shah - Holiday Destination