Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Filmmaking

Recently shot a video interview with 11 people and am editing those... Fairly simple, one camera and one person at a time.

Today shot a dance video in a house that had quite a large living area, but it was a HUGE challenge to get good angles. When I looked at the footage, I initially felt like a total failure, that I didn't manage to keep the dancers' bodies in the shot. But I really needed a wider lens, which I will borrow for some reshoots this Sunday. And after editing the footage, it doesn't look that bad.

After these I will need a break and get back to editing my movie - and I still have a few extra scenes to shoot...

Also, I have to say the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K rocks. I love the picture quality, especially color of skin tones. I rented it for the dance video shoot and will buy myself one. It's really a bargain for the quality it offers as I understand - so if you want to make low-budget films, consider that camera. It comes with DaVinci Resolve Studio, which can handle all the editing needs, probably (well even the free version can for the most part, but lacks some things you might need).

I already want to write or find a new good script to shoot with the Pocket 4K.

Haha, turns out the reason that I couldn't keep the dancers in frame was not because I needed a wider lens. I had actually previously tested the space with even narrower lens on a different camera body, and that seemed like it would be enough. It turns out when the Pocket 4K is set to record RAW 1080p video, then it crops in 2x, making the image 2x narrower that the lens would normally give. I feel so stupid, that I wasted a whole day of shooting trying to find good angles to shoot from without figuring out that this was what was hindering me - I naturally wanted to film RAW if possible, so I could get best options for color grading. The moral, I guess: always do a proper camera test with a new camera before taking it to a shoot.

But anyway, I have a chance to fix it today in the re-shoot and I hope it will be a cool video that I can share soon.

It's been a bit since I've posted here but I figure I'd wrap this up. I didn't get this into any festivals so I can finally make this public. Figure at the very least the first two minutes are of interest because the Thumbs were nice enough to let me use clips of Important If True. Making movies is hard and I am proud that I finished this.

I accidentally made a tiny short nature video yesterday