Jake

Twin Peaks Rewatch 46: The Return, Part 11

On 7/24/2017 at 1:25 AM, Owl said:

This episode was perfection, and I think my favorite so far. : D I'm loving how the humor and tone of the original show is creeping in more and more these last few episodes, maybe not coincidentally as Coop is slowly waking up. Damn good!

All of Dougie's scenes in this one made me smile so much. Also I want to learn piano now.

I'm curious about the discrepancy between what Diane saw and what she said she saw. She sees the woodsman sneaking up behind the car, but she says she thought she saw the woodsman getting out of the car. If she didn't want to help, why mention it at all? And if she does want to help, why say he got out of the car rather than snuck up behind it? Maybe she did see him get out of the car when the camera wasn't on her, but in that case it still would be weird not to say the guy snuck up and got in (and the window was open, so he wouldn't have even had to get in). The way she squinted and didn't really react, and the fact she said that's as far as she'd go and stayed outside the fence, suggests that she is maybe familiar with the black lodge spirits, but the discrepancy in what she said makes me wonder if either she can't quite see or maybe can't remember. If Bob isn't in BadCoop anymore, maybe he's got her; she only started acting so sketchy after Bob was removed from BadCoop.

Don't you think Diane's lack of response is directly a result of the text message back and forth with bad Coop in the last episode? She knew, and it breaks my heart.   (I'm new BTW) 

I think the POV shot of her seeing the woodsman behind the house was literally just a horizontally flipped version of when Gordon and Albert saw him which makes no spatial sense, lol. Maybe that plus the 'getting out of the car' comment means she's experiencing some things in reverse? Could this mean she thinks bad coop is good coop? I guess that doesn't really track with the traumatic prison interview though.

And regarding her not saying anything when it was sneaking up, I get the vibe that people don't necessarily understand what they're seeing/remember what they're seeing even in the moment when dealing with woodsmen. This could account for Hastings not saying anything about them until prompted and then just saying stuff like "So many people!" instead of anything very concrete. Though then we have Gordon saying DIRTY BEARDED MEN IN A ROOM

On 7/24/2017 at 0:14 PM, Ford said:

Groan. That may have been the laziest, most obnoxious moment in the history of the series. 

As is this comment

10 hours ago, fellintooblivion said:

You have a real knack for spouting cliches and meaningless drivel. Most of your posts could just be a copy/paste of "It is what it is."

It's real easy for Lynch to say it was this or nothing when he got what he wanted, of course it completely ignores the fact that no one else was willing to give him money. It was this or nothing for his career and Showtime blinked first. 

Except Lynch didnt want to direct anything anymore, Showtime hounded him, he is content with his TM school and painting.  

Rewatch episode is live! Sorry for the delay, it was logistically complicated this week as Jake is on vacation.

7 hours ago, Ford said:

Well, the response from Lost was a bit snarky as well. The observation that this season has been a jumbled mess in need of either an editor, fewer episodes, or both is a valid observation IMO. It's not having "your cake and eating it to" to expect some structure. We may not get it, but it's not unreasonable to want that in place.  We can have differing opinions without being insulting to one another. 

No one is preventing you from bailing. Just keep in mind, your opinions aren't really based on anything except to tear down those who like the show, IMHO. Check out. 

11 hours ago, fellintooblivion said:

You have a real knack for spouting cliches and meaningless drivel. Most of your posts could just be a copy/paste of "It is what it is."

This isn't acceptable behavior. Be respectful of others.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Whatsis said:

No one is preventing you from bailing. Just keep in mind, your opinions aren't really based on anything except to tear down those who like the show, IMHO. Check out. 

I don't believe I've torn anyone down. I've put my opinion out there to be challenged and taken the opportunity to engage other opinions. I'm fine if you like the show. 

That opening scene with the kids was mostly framed oddly from what I could tell. The camera is following the arc of the ball at first, and the third and smallest kid is in the middle of the two older boys. He was always there as you see a glimpse of him at the bottom of the frame reaching up for the ball as it's thrown over his head during one of the very first shots. And then later the ball is tossed to him instead of the other kid behind him, which shows him in full. But I don't know why they shot it that way. It definitely had one or two obvious edit chops to it as well, likely multiple takes stitched together to grab the right amount of catching vs missing and rolling away to the desired spots.

And maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention but to me it looked like Bradley ripped a bandaid off Rodney's face. And was shocked because the wound was gone as in the dream. Even that take is still bizarre as it was obviously still there a few hours earlier in the breakfast scene. 

My bold prediction: Candie will say the episode title this coming week: Let's Rock! 

And I think that long shot on Cole looking into The Zone was important because it fortifies the theory that Jerry Horne is interacting with some sort of lodge element. If our ability to see supernatural elements depends on whose perspective the camera is with then he may actually be tapping into something (that is, besides weed, obviously).

Side theory: I love me some Chris and Jake. Like LOVE listening to them--I'm always excited to hear their perspectives--Wish I was as articulate as they are--and MAYBE I heard them wrong, but in this most recent cast, they kinda seemed mystified by Rodney Mitchum having a band-aid on his cut--like they didn't even know what it was... is it possible that they don't know what a band-aid is because they're actually lodge spirits who heal overnight with the help of Dugpas? A new head-cannon develops.

I only wanted to share this because it's amazing to think of David Lynch screaming "Oh Angelo!" as he plays Laura's theme for the first time. I have a feeling the new track "Heartbreaking" may become an emotional touchstone for the new season the way her theme was for the first two. Angelo displays a real knack for interpreting David Lynch's visual perspective on music. I'm guessing this is probably a trait that comes in handy for film and television composers.

48 minutes ago, pyide said:

It definitely had one or two obvious edit chops to it as well, likely multiple takes stitched together to grab the right amount of catching vs missing and rolling away to the desired spots.

I really don't think it did. Watching it back, it seems like one single shot until the ball rolls off to the road.

I actually really liked that shot because of how it hid the third smaller kid at first with the whip pan, almost giving the impression that one of the kids kept changing as the camera bounced back and forth. It lent the opening an uneasy feeling leading into the surprising reveal of the hurt woman crawling through the grass.

26 minutes ago, ThatThomas said:

I really don't think it did. Watching it back, it seems like one single shot until the ball rolls off to the road.

One of the cuts was very obvious to me: when the kid on the left is throwing the ball back to the kid on the right, the camera / view instantly jumps to a completely different spot mid-flight.

And then the final throw where the ball ends up rolling down to the street, the camera jumps ahead a few degrees to the right after it's thrown by the kid on the left again. That one is harder to see, though. I was convinced it was just a streaming hiccup until I played it back. But watching it again just now, it's even more apparent that it's an edit point. The ball completely disappears after the cut, not visible in the air or as the kids take off after it (still hear it bouncing), then in the next shot it's seen rolling down the the street.

I'm sure they tried to match them up as best they could, have to imagine those sorts of actions with kids are hard to get right in just one take. They had a few tosses that were not interrupted!

Yeah, my bad on the edits. I was rewatching it in slow motion to look for it at first and somehow missed it in the herky jerkyness of it all. Watching it at regular speed, that first splice is really obvious when you know to look for it.

I still liked what Lynch was going for though.

I read the band-aid thing as: it had just naturally healed, but the fact of it being healed, like the cherry pie in the box, was anticipated in the dream, so holy shit. Did not get the sense that the reaction was due to it having healed or disappeared in some mysterious improbable way. But the confusion over this from Chris and Jake has given me pause and now I'm not sure what I saw.

1 hour ago, KaiserAullirio said:

they kinda seemed mystified by Rodney Mitchum having a band-aid on his cut--like they didn't even know what it was... is it possible that they don't know what a band-aid is because they're actually lodger spirits who heal overnight with the help of Dugpas? A new head-cannon develops.

i loved the episode this week, the analysis was deep and on point, but this was a really funny miss. tbf though pulling a prosthetic wound off would have been great.

I forget if I already wrote this here but I interpreted Candie talking about traffic as a continuation of her talking about weather last week, like she's a newscaster. Is it possible the violent trauma she inflicted with a TV remote is somehow making her echo the newscast that was on, or is somehow making her tune into some other frequency?

Hmmm yeah just got to the wound bit as well.

What the heck?  Do they not have band-aids in Thumbs-land or something?

Here is my Dougie / Mitchum brothers fanfiction, though Chris' theory it comes from the name Sonny-Jim is clearly superior:

[[[[ M: Dougie, are you a family man? Do you have a kid?

D: A kid.

M: I got this boy, he's great. This last weekend I spent hours playing with him, on his gym set.

D (sounding lost): Gym set? ]]]]

M: You mean to say your kid doesn't have one? No gym set? 

D: No gym set.

M1: Even our fucking' orphanage had a gym set.

M2: Every kid should have a gym set.

1 hour ago, mondryle said:

I read the band-aid thing as: it had just naturally healed, but the fact of it being healed, like the cherry pie in the box, was anticipated in the dream, so holy shit. Did not get the sense that the reaction was due to it having healed or disappeared in some mysterious improbable way. But the confusion over this from Chris and Jake has given me pause and now I'm not sure what I saw.

Yeah I think that's the most likely answer. I don't know why we BOTH saw it as a make-up scar that was peeled off in a surprising way! It just didn't look like a bandage to me, but that's the most obvious explanation.

Bobby: *gets stared down by little boy*

Bobby: *gets screeched at by shrieking driver*

Bobby: *confronted by horrifying vomiting zombie girl*

Bobby: "Fuck this, I'm going back to watching my wife make out with some guy."

Gordon and Albert were definitely speaking in code when talking about the coffee vs the milk.

The blocking and positioning of Diane on a high stool was odd but purposeful, I think.  When Albert pauses after suggesting "the milk... for the cat... " *Diane looks down at them* "... on the roof," it seems like he's suggesting that they not talk about the hard stuff in front of Diane who is literally sitting above them, at which point he brings out a doctored version of the photo and trails off conveniently when discussing the actual location that the fake coordinates would indicate.

Re: Candy, I think her behavior definitely seems to indicate some sort of Zone exposure. Some folks compare her to Dougie, but her moments of disconnection actually remind me of Jerry's ordeal which apparently is still ongoing?

Also, Chris, I think you were more flabbergasted by the torn off wound than you needed to be since it was a uh... band aid. :P

Band-aid on the side of face:
Untitled.thumb.png.3644a092f5ea8917941831be6ce99d62.png

Band-aid curled up above Jim Belushi's right thumb:Untitle5d.thumb.png.314f1b33136152c06ff46ceb4fc2b7bd.png

"It was like he ripped it of and there was a scar UNDERNEATH!" 

Twin Peaks makes us all say and do crazy things. Great episode as always, fellas. 

27 minutes ago, Frohike said:

Gordon and Albert were definitely speaking in code when talking about the coffee vs the milk.

And Gordon's dialogue is so suspiciously bad-actor-y in that scene. "YES... THE PICTURE YOU TOOK OF RUTH... I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT, ALBERT."

So as mentioned before, here's Hastings/Albert/Gordon's view of the woodsman behind the house followed by Diane's view of him. I love this show's creative use of dumb barely-effects so much.

5978101815a9d_2017-07-25(1).jpg.cfed52621646c81b7fd538e8b0c33350.jpg

59781018f3392_2017-07-25(2).jpg.47286780750a9f25ad0e5630500c88a3.jpg