JoelWmusic

AFI's Top 100 Greatest American Movies of All Time Endurance Run

I'm watching the Top 100 Movies according to this list: 

http://www.filmsite.org/afi100films_2007.html

I would like to have some conversations about them as I go. Why is it on the list? Does it still work today? What makes it good? Stuff like that.  

I'm starting at 100 so over the next week or so if you can carve out a chunk of time please watch Ben Hur :)

P.S. if you don't have time to watch and/or rewatch that doesn't mean you can't chat in here. I just don't want to be alone. Lol

P.P.S. My start date is hinging on whenever my girlfriend finishes binging Orange is the New Black, but based on her dedication we should be able to watch the first movie this weekend.

My only question so far is why Titanic is on that list, I was under the impression it was just a 90s delusion mistaking spectacle for quality.Everything else seems pretty legit.

Wow, two Marx Brothers films, that is pretty cool.

Otherwise, a lot of this is good, safe, and kind of boring.

If your goal is to see The One Hundred Greatest American Films Of All Time, this list won't get you there, but if you are looking for a good overview of successful, beloved. and oh-so respectable 20th century Hollywood films it works fine. 

For pure quality and breadth of culture, origin, and sensibility, the Sight and Sound 250 is a good antidote, though that might err too far in favor of esoteric art films for my taste.

I've always been partial to 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die as a good canon, though obviously that's way more of a commitment and the most recent entries often trend towards flavorless Oscar bait (really, does anyone even like The Theory of Everything?).

There is of course, my own 50-film canon list I made on Letterboxd, which is the only place you'll see The 400 Blows and Jackass Number Two listed side-by-side.

I think I will try to watch along with you, or at least watch Ben-Hur pretty soon.

I appreciate the input. My aim is not really to watch the 100 actual greatest American Films because I know this list is not definitive. I saw this list last year and had the idea of blogging it as I went. I'd rather have a conversation about them instead and I have a girlfriend now who didn't hate the idea so here I am.

14 hours ago, Patrick R said:

There is of course, my own 50-film canon list I made on Letterboxd, which is the only place you'll see The 400 Blows and Jackass Number Two listed side-by-side.

That is a pretty good list - makes sense to have Elm Street III on there as it is the best. In my mind Halloween II is better than Halloween so I totally get it.