Broxxar

[Released] Get Hoisted!

On 6/6/2017 at 3:53 AM, badatstuff said:

I've sent you a link for a music idea, I've made a couple of versions of coin sounds I can show you at some point, and I was wondering if you wanted goofy mouth sounds for the running man?

Yeah everything is sweet so far! Didn't really have a plan for the peasant's VO but they should definitely have some little dopey voice barks and stuff!

Progress!

Work's been super busy this week but I'm still making a bit of steady progress. Doing a bit of the purely functional implementation of things without any of the polish. I've got a say, I'm not a fan of this. Is it a bad thing to be polishing everything to final quality the entire way through? I think there's enough time in this jam to do just that, and not really leave any one part of the game behind for too long. Nevertheless, I did a basic pass of picking up a petard, planting it in the ground, and then detonating it by proximity. The bomb asset is protoype, literally just a sphere and two cylinders slapped together. Notice the tip-top of the bomb is poking out of the ground here... I think for the actual petard, I'll have a little flower on top, but then also have these flowers pop up from time to time naturally to throw off the player. Probably even start the round off with a dozen or so flowers scattered about. So players could always avoid the flowers... or you could B-line through flowers that you think aren't petards in disguise. By the end of the round, with the randomly blooming flowers and petards player's planted, the ground should be so littered that it's nearly impossible to tell what's safe. Hopefully players remember which one's they put down to avoid the devastating self-hoisting.

5938e726d737f_Animation216.gif.deb27a27f9bba45effcd5d909adf37df.gif

This peasant appears to be miraculously immune to self-hoisting.

Everybody is jealous of his resilient pants.

Looks great! Im dying to see a character be hoisted animation and all.

As for polishing, I know what you mean. The thing is I have no idea if ill get everything done on time so im avoiding getting each piece perfect until I have a enough game to feel safe.

Dang, this is looking pretty quality, nice character with a funny face all rigged and animated and some good explosion effects.

Keep up the good work!

Be Lazy

I had originally thought I might need to animate a few things with/without the petard in the peasants hand. But thanks to Avatar Masks and Animator layer blending, there's no need! I just created a mask from the shoulders, and made a single animation of the arms in an item hold posture. Then I attached the item dummy transform to the right hand, et voila! I can just blend in this layer when I need to show the peasant with his arms out carrying an item. The gif was already a bit large and awkward to show off the running animation but it also works with the same principle, and the held item moves with the character in a pretty natural way. My progress is feeling pretty slugish, mostly because work has been a bit of a grind this week. Hopefully I'll catch a second wind tomorrow and really get a lot done. I'll do an update tomorrow that re-tallies the major remaining tasks and get things on track!

593a4d1767038_Animation217.gif.29041752e0288a0a3339819683b5a36f.gif

"And one and two and one and HOIST and..."

Yours is the game I keep coming to whenever I want to feel intense jealousy. I love your peasant and I can't wait to Get Hoisted!

Heads Down

Okay I have been super busy with other stuff and it really ate into my jamming time. For the next couple of hours I'm going into full-on uber game jam mode to finish this off. I'll leave you with the snazzy incomplete title screen for now. Looking forward to playing all your games! (after a short break from staring at my computer screen...)

title_text.PNG.48d8e4ec61297af544a3573e159ae583.PNG

"HHHhhooooiissttteed..." - Jake Rodkin, 2017

One Billion Things Left To Do

The last 10% is 90% of the work. It's a common saying in software development, but my god is it ever true. With game development especially, it's easy to write off a lot of the tasks that fall into the "Oh and I just need to hookup X system with the main game" category. X may be very complex or very simple, maybe you set yourself up for success and made it robust/extensible, maybe it was a bit of a hacky mess. No matter how you engineered that thing, integrating it with every other little piece of gameplay/code/art it has to touch is going to be a bitch.

But the upshot is, I'm really in the last 10%... I think. I mean, there are still MAJOR features missing (like the game time limit, scoring, and wrap up screen), but I mean, those seem so small compared to everything else right? How much time could the last 1% really take?

onebillionthings.thumb.PNG.2e28918d9ab24451ce7db008ba043299.PNG

The Hoisting Arena, filled with a bunch of gizmos. And for some reason there's a petard floating in the air.

Who put that there?

Wait, I still need to model stuff?

Wow I really just, forgot how much stuff I needed to do. I think I'm just gonna keep grinding super hard right up until midnight. Like how did I forget that I didn't even have a coin modeled yet? Gosh darn it. Anyway it is a Mario-ass looking coin because everyone knows what that is and Mario fanfare is pretty on brand for Thumbs! This is probably my last update while I really go crazy for the last few hours... Wish me luck!

coin.PNG.7cc28d26f146f14048f8d45caf10f07c.PNG

"Threat neutralized!" - Super Mario

A Good Bug

Me: Okay item spawning should be working, let's just double check real quick!

Game: YOU WANT ITEMS? YUP NO PROBLEM HERE YA GO BUDDY

sweetbug.thumb.PNG.9fa1e24dfb2372c0c55e9a7e65facdb9.PNG

The sky cracked open... and from above a bunch of random garbage rained down. Everyone was pretty nonplussed about the whole thing.

Just updated this post to reflect that the game is in a much more playable state than it was at the jam's deadline! Specifically, there's an end screen to show the winner, and some SUPER basic AI so you can play without a full group of 4. Have fun! :)