Thyroid

Game of Thrones (TV show)

He was being carried away by his own men.... or that's what I've had to tell all my non-ASoIaF-reader friends.

Ah, right. That makes sense!

I've spent the entire season making excuses for this show. I want it to be better, or I don't want it at all. A poor TV adaptation will turn people away from reading the books.

It's been a great season, IMO. There were some clunkers in between, but overall I feel they improved on last season.

Also, a poor TV adaptation would actually turn me towards reading the books. :getmecoat

Actually to be honest my memories of the book made me think he actually did die there, and when I saw him being dragged away, I was genuinely surprised that he was going to live to fight another day. So when I saw him alive the next episode, I expected it.

I can see how it would be unclear, but I would've just expected him to die if it was the enemy that found him.

Actually to be honest my memories of the book made me think he actually did die there, and when I saw him being dragged away, I was genuinely surprised that he was going to live to fight another day. So when I saw him alive the next episode, I expected it.

But (all books spoiler)

Stannis wins the War of the Five Kings, technically

. That's funny.

But (all books spoiler)

Stannis wins the War of the Five Kings, technically

. That's funny.

I haven't read all the books! I think I gave up at the beginning of book three because I was depressed at all dudes dyin'.

Anyway, spoilers! I think?!

EDIT: You fixed it. U:

I actually want to start reading the books again, so I'll probably find out soon enough!

I don't think the second series was any cop until the last two episodes, and the finale wasn't as good as the penultimate. The whole thing just feels too rushed, with some bits removed. Obviously they had to, as the books are mighty, and Martin worked on the script himself, so it was all 'sanctioned' by the canon originator, but still... it was vaguely disappointing, and a bit of a let down.

Have now watched both the most recent Mad Men episode and the last Game of Thrones episode.

Mad Men: This penultimate episode in the season has possibly secured Mad Men as the best show currently on TV in my eyes. I thought the first two seasons were good, and that the third had a pretty serious lull. The fourth and fifth, though, have been better than anything they did before and better than pretty much anything else currently broadcasting. It's so very rare that a TV series has that trajectory and not the opposite, so I'm incredibly pleased. Not to mention all the changes the writers have wrought that have now ended up being so truly for the best! I am not nervous about this latest couple of big changes simply because those over the past two seasons have worked out so well for the show.

Game of Thrones: Yeah, I seem to hold the common opinion at this point that it was fine and probably still leagues better than most of the stuff on TV, but it didn't quite grab me the way season one did and the final episode in particular was somewhat of a letdown. Final episode spoilers:

The temptation sequence with Daenerys was done well, I thought, and even the actual dragons burning the warlock and then the discovery of the vault and so on were decent.

Most of the Westeros stuff was just a little dull, though, and it felt very much like a setup episode for the next season rather than a grand conclusion for the season. That's fair enough from a writing perspective, but it's just not super interesting on its own.

Also, did anyone else find the final shots with the White Walkers just incredibly "meh"? I felt no actual engagement during that at all, and in fact the rider looked slightly comical to me.

Also, did anyone else find the final shots with the White Walkers just incredibly "meh"? I felt no actual engagement during that at all, and in fact the rider looked slightly comical to me.

Oh man, I could not disagree harder.

Major spoilers for Game of Thrones, season 3, episode 9. I'm talking the penultimate episode. The one that hasn't aired yet.

Edmure gets married today.

Heh.

I haven't seen the episode, since I wait for them to be available legally (in 9 hours I can see it on pay-for-TV), but from the reviews I'm reading, it wasn't similar, but apparently quite effective.

Spoilers for episode 10/finale (book readers you can read this):

However, they haven't shown what happens to the corpses.

Book three spoiler that might be a spoiler for season four:

And although it's looking unlikely, I'm hoping Joffrey gets married next week, too.

Hmmm, think I'll wait until I've watched the episodes!

I'd accidentally read a massive spoiler about GoT, but:

Even expecting the Red Wedding, holy shit. That was one of the most brutal, hopeless and harrowing scenes I've ever seen on TV. Also, just how screwed up is Arya going to be?

I'd accidentally read a massive spoiler about GoT, but:

Even expecting the Red Wedding, holy shit. That was one of the most brutal, hopeless and harrowing scenes I've ever seen on TV. Also, just how screwed up is Arya going to be?

It's been fun, having read the books, seeing the reactions. That said I'm way behind on the show, will have to catch up at some point.

Last season I'd been reading the book along with the TV show, but this year I hadn't had the time. As soon as I saw the latest episode, I immediately picked up book 3 to read up to it and see how it's depicted in the book.

I was pleased I wouldn't have to follow that boring storyline any more.

Last season I'd been reading the book along with the TV show, but this year I hadn't had the time. As soon as I saw the latest episode, I immediately picked up book 3 to read up to it and see how it's depicted in the book.

You get whatever you want if you manage to stop reading from that point on. The last four hundred pages of A Storm of Swords are absurdly good.

You get whatever you want if you manage to stop reading from that point on. The last four hundred pages of A Storm of Swords are absurdly good.

WHY WOULD YOU TELL ME THAT?

Why wouldn't I?

Seriously, though, enjoy A Storm of Swords.

That having been said, I'm not happy where they ended season three.

Game of Thrones season four spoilers:

- I guess they're leaving Balon's death off to introduce Euron.

- But still, I think ending the War of the Five Kings this season would have been thematically rewarding. You've killed off Robb Stark; finish the job, use it to introduce Dorne.

- I guess the whole North of the Wall thing is coming to a head next season, which means season five ought to cover the majority of A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons.

Game of Thrones season...five? Four, more likely, but just in case:

- From the Rat Cook exposition story (according to the comments I've read) and a certain sighting at the Red Wedding, we look to be getting some pie.

I believe they said each book from storm of swords on will be 2 seasons each about, with some events being moved around with feast and dance being at the same time chronologically.

They will feast and dance at the same time? Sounds way too optimistic for GoT..

A bookseller friend of mine was telling me that A Storm of Swords is sold as two books in Europe because we use thicker paper, but I thought it was a useful look at the division between Game of Thrones' seasons. A Dance with Dragons is split up into two as well, but that already has its own timeline issues. All in all a lot of interesting room for adaptation! Really like what they are doing.

Sherlock is a lot of fun, have been meaning to see if Elementary is worthwhile, has anyone seen it?