Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Weekend December 23, 2016: The Top Ten Before Christmas

Idle Weekend December 23, 2016:

Idle Weekend December 23, 2016

The Top Ten Before Christmas
The Weekenders are here to wish you a very merry Whatever You Celebrate! And also, to count down their most favorite games of 2016. Enjoy!

Discussed: Homeworld: Deserts of Karak, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Dishonored 2, Overwatch, Hearts of Iron IV, Commander: Great War, Even The Ocean, Total War: Warhammer, Event[0], Darkest Dungeon, Mafia 3, Doom, Quadrilateral Cowboy, Banner Saga 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Twilight Struggle, Firewatch, Battlefield 1

Yup, totally relate to the too-many-great-games dilemma. I wrote my list over in the GOTY 2016 thread last week, but right now I'm playing The Last Guardian and Duskers and feeling like they should probably be in there somewhere as well. And there's a pile of stuff I haven't gotten around to. Tomb Raider, DXMD, FFXV, that Witcher 3 dlc, Shadow Tactics. TOO MANY GAMES!

On 12/27/2016 at 3:03 AM, Henke said:

Yup, totally relate to the too-many-great-games dilemma. I wrote my list over in the GOTY 2016 thread last week, but right now I'm playing The Last Guardian and Duskers and feeling like they should probably be in there somewhere as well. And there's a pile of stuff I haven't gotten around to. Tomb Raider, DXMD, FFXV, that Witcher 3 dlc, Shadow Tactics. TOO MANY GAMES!

I'm having the exact same experience with the Last Guardian. I felt comfortable writing my list before I played it because of the lukewarm reviews I read, but goddamn... What a fantastic game. Trico feels autonomous in a way I have never seen in a game, and I have grown quite attached to him/her. The Last Guardian is a real achievement for video games.

I feel like in the interest of "transparency" Game of the Year lists need to have a "games I didn't play section."  Like most people I'm assuming, I spent a lot of time in 2016 playing catch-up from 2015 and even 2014.  I have barely scratched the surface on games that came out in 2016 except for Doom, Battlefield 1 (which I still haven't played the campaign at all), X-Com 2, Destiny Rise of Iron (which really doesn't count since I'd never played Destiny before and never even got to the new content).  Then I happened to purchase Madden 2017 to play a league with friends, and somehow I bought The Division.  I also got Civ 6 but have played maybe 5 hours in it total.  Most of my time was playing strategy games from the last few years.

Also, I really laughed when Danielle said in January they'd do a catch up show for 2016.  Danielle's backlog for games, movies, shows, and books is so long we'd be waiting until January 2033 before she got caught up!  At that point though we'll likely all be living in Metro 2033's world due to nuclear holocaust ... 

Oh and Rob -- Dang you!  Why did you have to talk about Darkest Dungeon and Deserts of Karak!  I don't need more games and now they're sitting in my "cart" on Steam, along with most of the DLC to Europa Universallis 4 (which is another game I blame on you and the 3MA crew).  

hah. i was looking at a bunch of forums and lists, feeling disappointed that some game i loved weren't making lists, then i realized they were from 2015, and i was just getting to them 

This is only mentioned in passing, but I'm glad someone else remembers The Good Shepherd. That movie suffers from the "freshman survey course of the history of the CIA" thing that it feels like a lot of spy movies/shows have, but I still like it and Matt Damon's weird performance.