zerofiftyone

[RELEASE] The Hypersonic Effect

Phenomenal! Pitch perfect aesthetic with the combination of VHS menus, visual and audio glitching and 2D spaceship mechanics. Speaking of which the mechanics are that great combination of easy to understand, fun to master and a combination of simple elements that escalate the difficulty when combined. And I didn't find this one punishingly difficult - I still only got to level 12 (perhaps a baby setting would have the boost give you slightly less speed!) but I feel like I could develop my muscle memory and get further.

18 hours ago, GammaBit said:

Wow - this looks amazing! You should turn this into a full game B)

Thanks! 

7 hours ago, Ben X said:

Phenomenal! Pitch perfect aesthetic with the combination of VHS menus, visual and audio glitching and 2D spaceship mechanics. Speaking of which the mechanics are that great combination of easy to understand, fun to master and a combination of simple elements that escalate the difficulty when combined. And I didn't find this one punishingly difficult - I still only got to level 12 (perhaps a baby setting would have the boost give you slightly less speed!) but I feel like I could develop my muscle memory and get further.

Thanks so much for the kind words! I've wanted to make a game with this aesthetic for a little while now, so going in I had a long list of audio/visual elements I thought would be cool to try out. The most fun was putting together the music system that dynamically degrades the track as it's playing based on events in the game (and occasionally randomness). Super happy with how all of that stuff turned out, so I'm glad you liked it :).

Also, don't feel bad about level 12; you got very close to the end! There weren't all that many levels in this one. One of the things that I didn't budget a lot of time for was building levels. I made most of them on the last weekend of the jam, because they were dependant on systems being already in place. I have more ideas for levels that I didn't get time for, so maybe I'll add a few more during the week.

This was really fun! I enjoyed the timing-based nature of the gameplay - no flying around freely as you usually see in games like these, but the meticulous precision in boosting was a fun challenge, and easy to understand but hard to master. And amazing graphics as always. Great entry!

This is really cool! I love how the VHS post-process looks throughout the game, and the music is great too. My PC struggles with it a bit, though, and I generally get 20fps, with a bit of a spike every time I boost, which makes it pretty hard to judge distances.

The audiovisual execution is fantastic! Perfect down to the audio and screen glitches.

The gameplay is really fun too. One can get the idea almost immediately, but mastering this would probably take some time (and be quite satisfying).

I finally got to a Windows computer with a controller attached, and yeah it's pretty well been covered but this is very good.