Jake

Idle Thumbs 282: Winnie the Putin

I would agree in non-rpg games, but these days RPG mechanics creep into almost every game. If I don't have a health bar to look at, then I understand absolutely nothing about what this sword upgrade does. 

I really hope this thread title turns into some dystopian game jam game where you wander around the Thousand Hectare Forest talking to other Autocrats mixed with Pooh characters: Kim Il Piglet, Christoper Robin Mugabe etc

I don't think I've played a game that had everything that takes damage die in one hit but having it as a not 100% chance.

Tying capability to HP just seems to still include HP bars but lots of games have done it I think. Thinking about it, all the Heroes of Might&Magic games, The Banner Saga, probably some RPG games, I can't think of more right now.

Darkest Dungeon sort of works like that. When a character runs out of health they're at "Death's Door", and any attack from there on has a chance to kill them. They can be healed to bring them out of that state. I actually really like the idea of making probabalistic, it's definitely something that hasn't been explored enough.