Chris

Idle Thumbs 278: Beef Chief

Oh, so I finnaly the blog they comment - is actually a tumblr - http://objectdreams.tumblr.com/ there is some gold there, not much, but finest gold there.

Now on the Deus Ex, I was looking forward to it - but even before most of the current debate about the game issues, I find myself floating away from it, don´t know exactly why however - I liked a lot the first game, despite that ending. When I saw the first offical stream/show of the game I find it cool, but didn´t "hyped" me or anything, then there was the debates/critics around. In the end between Deus Ex and God Eater 2: Rage Burst, I bought God Eater 2. Still I might maybe pick it later on a sale.

The guy who runs that tumblr is an editor for Clickhole as well.

Also, building on Chris' comment about movies being made like marketing (or the press in general) doesn't exist, I think that spoiler-by-casting is one of the oddest phenomenons of modern cinema in the mainstream. As excellent as it was, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy had one of the worst examples of it. I think Kelly Wand on the Quarter to Three movie podcast put it best, paraphrasing John Hurt's line to Gary Oldman: "I am now certain that one of five people in the Circus is a traitor: Colin Firth, three other guys, and you."

Also, building on Chris' comment about movies being made like marketing (or the press in general) doesn't exist, I think that spoiler-by-casting is one of the oddest phenomenons of modern cinema in the mainstream. As excellent as it was, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy had one of the worst examples of it. I think Kelly Wand on the Quarter to Three movie podcast put it best, paraphrasing John Hurt's line to Gary Oldman: "I am now certain that one of five people in the Circus is a traitor: Colin Firth, three other guys, and you."

This was always a big thing to me in procedural shows. I don't watch many anymore, but when I watched Castle, for example, or when Without a Trace was on when I got home I would often encounter this phenomenon. When the suspects in any given case are two guys you've never seen before and one recognisable character actor who does the rounds of all the procedurals... you know who it is.

This was always a big thing to me in procedural shows. I don't watch many anymore, but when I watched Castle, for example, or when Without a Trace was on when I got home I would often encounter this phenomenon. When the suspects in any given case are two guys you've never seen before and one recognisable character actor who does the rounds of all the procedurals... you know who it is.

I guess not every show can do the midsommer murders thing of nearly every character is a cameo by someone well known

I actually think that kind of works in the movie's favour a bit. In the book, Bill Haydon (Firth's character) looms much larger than any of the other suspects, to the point where it's obvious that he is the mole, except is so obvious that he can't possibly be the mole. which is why Karla picked him to be the mole. I feel like the director played the same double-bluff on the audience of the film 

Oh come on, no-one else ever rates an episode thread until there's a rating-out-of-5 reference to be ruined?!

I still listen to the Catacombs of Paris review every few days. Makes me laugh like nothing else in the world. 

"These people died from taking pictures of people who died from taking photographs of the tour guide!" in that strange Minnesota-esque accent pops into my head all the time.

I've been playing Deus Ex: HR so it is kind of funny to go back and see the criticisms that are leveled against Mankind Divided (which I purchased, but have yet to play). Not that the criticisms aren't warranted, but man is Deus Ex HR's plot dumb as bricks! When the game came out I never managed to get pass the 2nd boss because I had invested all my augmentations into a stealth/hacking build and got owned by the super combat heavy bosses even on easy difficulty. Playing now on easy difficulty modes, with a more balanced aug build, plus the developers going back and adding some baby's-first-win methods of dealing with the bosses means I can actually progress through the game (I'm still getting owned a lot though, I dunno why, but I find this game hard). The beginning of HR is amazing, but the game has taken a turn for the stupid:

-I immediately get back to Detroit, and the boss dude is like, "oh btw the illuminati are totally real, guy".

-The game pulls a time for you to lose all your cool shit and wander around a massively complex level of shipping crates (whhhhhyyyyyyyyyy)

-The game keeps being like "trust no one" but provides no agency to like not actually trust anyone

-Bad guy with a Southern accent does the "I'm going to rant at you over the intercom" move.

... And plenty of other things. I dunno, I think HR has aged very poorly, and I'm not impressed with the parts I never got to.

1 hour ago, sclpls said:

-The game pulls a time for you to lose all your cool shit and wander around a massively complex level of shipping crates (whhhhhyyyyyyyyyy)

To be fair, that particular thing was a standalone "interlude" DLC released long after the base game that the Director's Cut remake inexplicably chose to integrate into the chronology of the main storyline.