Sign in to follow this  
Twig

Solitaire: The Lonely Hearts Club

Physical games are something I don't really do singleplayer. not because I think they're objectively bad - I just don't want to put together the time of setting up a game just to play by myself. I love board gaming, but only really in a social setting.

That's an understandable turn-off. Some games are a real bear to setup. Scenario-based card games sometimes have you sifting through decks to remove certain cards and stuff like that, which is totally annoying. 

I mean, it's better if you're more organized when you put shit away and separate everything out then, but when I'm done for the night, I just want to shove it all in the box and get on with my life. And that's assuming you can even fit it all in the box, which brings me to another thing that drives me crazy with board games: storage. I'm so tired of games where the box doesn't allow you to adequately organize things once it's all been punched out and used. And lord jesus forbid you get any expansions.

I've gone through the tutorial and played two matches against A.I. I like it. I like the art and the relationships between the mechanics and the theming is fun to discover. It's pretty neat how as a player you can make plans for how to allocate your cards on your journey across the board, but then you have to adapt, sometimes you realize that you no longer have the reason for the journey once you are there. It's neat.

have you tried Solitairica? Not sure if there's a PC version or not, as these are the kinds of games I generally seek out for play on my tablet. 

Screenshot_Attack.jpg

...it's a single player card battler RPG thing that uses mechanics from Solitaire (and Uno kind of?). It's totally not the best game mentioned in this thread, but it is pretty fun and easy to learn and looks appealing.

A combination of slow days at work and the Microsoft Games library being the only thing on the computers there has started me playing a lot of Solitaire card games, specifically Freecell and Spider Solitaire. While playing them I had a thought: is every newly dealt hand actually winnable? I never questioned it but now I wonder if

1. those classic Microsoft versions of those games just shuffle the cards randomly when dealing, regardless of winnable state OR

2. they randomly select from a preset number of hands already determined to be winnable OR

3. The nature of the game designs means there's no such thing as an unwinnable hand.

I did a little digging and apparently and found a thread some people arguing about Freecell in the 90s, and discovered some people specifically liked going through them number by number and also found this which guesses that all but 14 are solvable. Spider Solitaire and Solitaire seem have lower rates of winnable hands, but still high chances.

In the Windows 10 spider solitaire (which is annoying because of the ads but I still play it) you can opt to never get a non-winnable shuffle.

I think the game still has the problem that you can't know whether a move leads to a no-win situation, though. So even if the initial deal is winnable, I'm not sure how many moves it could require to get into a non-winnable situation? But I guess that's the point, if you could know then there would be no challenge.