toblix

Hexcells Hexcells Hexcells Squarecells

These games are great -- I had also been dabbling with Pokemon Picross and this feeds the itch without having to deal with the F2P garbage. I'm almost through Hexcells Infinite and then on to SquareCells.

Edit: Never mind, I am a dumb.

I had this page open from before and was about to go over it again -- it seemed like you were right. Then I refreshed just in case... So there were not two correct solutions?

The ruleset of SquareCells felt more ambiguous at first, but now that I've settled in, I think it's become my favorite. Maybe it's just because I've internalized the tricks to Picross over the years.

The fun I had restarting a level after 45 minutes of careful thinking and staring and solving because my fingers forgot for a second which button does what or just because they got lazy for a bit and 'fell' on a button. I even restarted when this didn't result in a mistake but solved something by accident for which I didn't have the solution yet.

On the upside this sometimes led to finding other, nicer solutions or at least a great feeling of flow in cleaning out the early sections I still knew the solutions for.

Fantastic games!

I am another of those who cannot tolerate any mistakes in a level.  I will admit that this lead to me screenshotting my progress once after a finger slip such as you describe though...

Steam recommended me:

Hook, LYNE, Mini Metro based on my Hexcells adventures. Anyone tried these?

LYNE is a real puzzle game like Hexcells, but I found it to become tedious quite fast.

Mini Metro isn't much of a puzzle game, it's more of a survival game ;) A battle against time to create working routes. It's a lot of fun.

Did not play Hook.

I'd recommend Hook -- it's not nearly as devious as *Cells, but it's a fun mechanic and it doesn't overstay its welcome. Totally worth the dollar if you're into this sort of game.

How about Hitman Go for a leftfield suggestion? It scratches the same itch as Hexcells for me.

It doesn't go for out-and-out minimalism, but the aesthetic is still clean and bright, while the music is just as smooth and relaxed. Puzzles focus less on deducing the next move (although this is still important) and adds an element of forward planning. Fun puzzler, and the PC port is decent if you're wanting to play on the big screen. Maybe worth a look?