Very nice presentation! I found it crazy hard, but that's probably mainly because I don't play with controller enough to have the arbitrary letters mapped in my head. Maybe a Super Easy Baby mode could have printed the letters on the controller model? Also I kept getting distracted by the L in the left stick icon and couldn't absorb the directions - but I can see how it's really tough to come up with icons for every button or stick on this controller that don't clash or misdirect!

(I also got the menu crashes and the instruction black boxes.)

It's not just you, it is hard, maybe too hard at the moment! I do need to make some tweaks to give the player an easier time, but I still want it to be a stressful experience to a certain degree. In past experience, when a score-attack game of this style is too easy, it becomes (for want of a better phrase) chore-like; which is fine if you're designing for a relaxing or meditative experience; but I wanted to make something on the more stressful side, like Super Hexagon or Flappy Bird.

I'm thinking about ways in which I can make the game feel more "fair" without actually making it significantly less challenging. Printing the button letters on the controller mesh sounds like something I could do in that direction.

But yeah, thanks for playing and sharing your thoughts, Ben. :)

Over Designed usually has a bit of a negative connotation... but this is brilliant! Damn hard though. Hard mode is certainly not a baby game!

Hah, it is totally over polished. I went into this jam with a deliberately basic game idea so that I could put a load of extra time into putting a gross amount of detail and polish into tiny things. Thanks!

Very stylish, great level of polish!

I am totally incapable of enjoying any difficulty but easy, but enjoy I did!

Felt like i was competing against the platonic ideal of a gamepad user, and boy did I not measure up!

Great entry!

(Note: How to play showed only black boxes  :adama: )

Glad you enjoyed it! You got the black boxes? That was a bug that I thought I had fixed but apparently I hadn't! Thanks for letting me know!

This game is now on Steam Greenlight! I decided to keep working on it and make it into a full thing. I just launched the greenlight page a few minutes ago and I'm pretty terrified! 

The page is here, if you're interested: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576631024

I voted YES! Good luck!

I haven't actually played it yet, but it looks really slick. I have to get the controller set back up on my PC... no small feat. You'll have to let us know over on the game dev board how this process treats you. 

I voted YES! Good luck!

I haven't actually played it yet, but it looks really slick. I have to get the controller set back up on my PC... no small feat. You'll have to let us know over on the game dev board how this process treats you. 

Thanks! Yeah I will, it's only been up for a night but it's been a harrowing ride so far.

Dear god those comments.

Haha I KNOW. Steam comments, right? I'm lucky to have a thick-ish skin about comments from having done Youtube stuff in the past.

Personal fave so far: the guy chanting PC master race and assuming the game is a console port because... there's a controller?

Finally got around to playing it. Style for days!

I think as you continue working on it you should consider a ramping experience as the round continues. Like, start with 2 inputs, then 3 etc. Also, I don't know if it matters, but for me, remembering a face button, because its colour coded and shit, is like 10 times easier than any other input.

Thanks for playing Spenny!

Yeah, I've been thinking about that; and I have the systems in place already to do it, but the problem is that I don't want to create a situation whereby the difficulty ramp is fine for the first few runs, and then as the player gets better, the beginning part is way too easy and boring as a result. Any ideas to combat this?

Yeah, I find the face buttons easier too. I want to make the labels all easy to parse, and I think there's a better way for the thumbsticks than what I'm currently doing.