Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Murder Mystery Half-Life 1 Mod?

banner.jpg

I noticed this Half-Life 1 mod called The Ship Online in Steam's third-party games. I don't have Half-Life 1 installed at the moment, and can't figure out what this exactly is from their website, but it seems to be something like a multiplayer murder mystery.

Has anyone tried it?

Hmmm. Verrrrry interesting. Thanks for the heads up, Erkkstud. I'll have to enlighten my fellow ForeverDream-ers about this, as we're working on our Curves Of Danger game, another murder mystery.

Does this mean I have to re-install Half-Life and download Steam again? Yech.

Hey, looks interesting. From reading the play guide, it looks like you (as the killer) have to kill as many pre-selected 'victims' as possible without being seen - kind of like an online wink-murder! I've played something similar online in the form of a text-based roleplaying thing (yes, shut up :shifty: ) and that was great fun (although in that implementation there was only one 'killer' who had the added difficulty of having to hide his victims' bodies, so unless you had lots of players it became pretty obvious whose company everyone seemed to be dying in).

I'm downloading it now, yay. Let me know if you want to connect to the same server or something.

Also Trep, just install Steam - it'll "remember" you and download HL all by itself! Unless you have dialup or something. In which case, yech.

Update - updating Steam platform? I still hate Steam. :(

sort of off-topic: I'm really not into the whole Half-Life deal, but what's the problem with Steam?

sort of off-topic: I'm really not into the whole Half-Life deal, but what's the problem with Steam?

¬ ¬

Incidentally, I would be the master of this Ship game if only I could find a gun, or indeed any weapon at all. Perhaps that's the trick, eh?

I haven't had any problems with Steam for over 6 months.

The Friends list still hits me with "You have been signed out due to network maintenance" messages all the time. I presume it's something to do with being behind a NAT router, but as that's not a particularly uncommon situation:

:gaming:

Steam = turd

:yep:

The Friends list still hits me with "You have been signed out due to network maintenance" messages all the time. I presume it's something to do with being behind a NAT router, but as that's not a particularly uncommon situation:

:gaming:

Steam = turd

:yep:

I'm using NAT too. Still, only one or two times I've seen that message you're talking about. And it doesn't mean you can't play a Steam game when the friends list is down.

I don't really use the Friends list anyways :blink:

--Erwin

What's the purpose of the friends list? Just so you know if other people are playing Steam games? I've never used it so I have no idea.

Oh man, you can change the theme? Awesome! Sadly, the grey scheme is almost as ugly as the default turdy one.

What's the purpose of the friends list? Just so you know if other people are playing Steam games? I've never used it so I have no idea.

I use it to play against people I already know. Or rather, I try to. I should be able to say "I'll join a server and you follow on", and the other guy should be able to right-click my name and say "Join game". Of course I can never stay connected so obviously this doesn't actually work.

You can also use it to send instant messages to each other while you're playing CS or something. And there are some mini-games in Steam as well (Chess I think) which can be played with people on your friends list, but those take you out of the main game, unfortunately. Playing Chess while dead in CS would be an excellent way to pass the time between rounds, and I usually have a lot of it to pass.

FWIW, I am supposedly connected to the Friends service now, but no network connections are showing up in Windows so god knows how it works. Or expects to work through NAT.