graddy

Super Mario Maker

This game is out and everything I hoped it would be. It'll be good to have a centralized place to post courses! :)

Here is my first dumb one

Cave Bouncin'

21FD-0000-0033-3580

I think it bears repeating how pleasurable this game is to actually use. The sound effects and UI make this far more than a clinical tool and much more inviting to play.

Another from me. I had to go back and make this a bit easier with power-ups before uploading, for my skill level anyway. I started with the basic layout then got a bit too crazy. Hope you enjoy it!

Layer Cake Castle

830E-0000-0034-F9C7

I can't believe more Thumbs aren't playing this. It's fantastic!

Well here are a few that I have made.

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69iYBNfUET0HfBb

The Cave. (974D-0000-001B-3DBB)

This was my first level and despite being my first it benefitted from my gf play testing it and being QUITE harsh in her assessment. Had to fix a few things (made it easier and began to think about enemy placement , I made the usual rookie mistakes, ha) and now it's my best stared with a near 100% clear rating. That's not to say I think it's my best level. ;)

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69iYGglEe9iEcI4

Long & Winding Door (006F-0000-001E-8712)

My second level. Playing around with the idea of an initial course and then redoing a similar but more difficult second course. I think I was mostly successful, though I am not terribly happy with how it ends.

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69iYLd6Igbdb-BB

In the Doors to Nowhere (7A18-0000-0021-732E)

My third. Started thinking about making vertical levels given the limitations of the toolset. In retrospect the first climb seems too difficult for most, but I really like how everything came together. I started to use power ups as a quasi-check point system to aid people and give them more chances

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69iYbzRUdWOoMhH

The Wizard's Fleet (FD70-0000-002B-DED7)

My fourth. Bit of storytelling through gameplay and course layout. It's my longest and so probably will end up least played, but I'm quite pleased with it.

I'd love to get comments and criticisms.

I'll check your two levels in a bit graddy!

Graddy, your levels are still too crazy! Ahahaha, I think you're waaaaaay too punishing. Both of them I found so frustrating, hah. Good 'Hard mode' levels. ;)

Won't have the game for a couple of weeks, but I love how the yellow packaging and the art book are hitting the same nerve from childhood when I would devour game manuals and pore over every detail on the box in the shop. I wonder what the ratio of digital to physical copies sold will be.

Get a look at young Miyamoto and Tezuka and then change to the 2015 versions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=6&v=DLoRd6_a1CI

If you play a popular stage and it isn't fun, you can get a new perspective that your interests aren't mainstream

This really needs to become some kind of anti-hipster meme.

I've made a few stages so far! Really enjoying it, though I imagine I would need a lot of time to make more creative levels. I have a few ideas in my head but translating them into the game might be difficult.

Anyway, here are a few of my creations, firstly Lakitu Terror: 10F9-0000-0035-EE91. The miiverse screenshot for it fails to capture anything meaningful, so I'll just leave it to your imagination.

Another one where I make use of one of the few Amiibo I own, Falcon Dash: B22C-0000-0035-C969.

And another random one that I called Koopa Kave: 1CA5-0000-0035-85B1. I later found another level called "Koopa Cave". 

Just signed up for the Idle Forums after many many years of listening and some of lurking here, just to take part in this hopeful Mario Maker community.  Hoping to find some more good levels to play out there, as well as share and build on my own.

I've made a few but the only code I have handy is:

46F7-0000-0021-F31C, and I forget what level this was (not at my console right now).  Heart me if you enjoy it though, my goal is to make "theme accurate" type levels that are moderately challenging, that wouldn't feel out of place in the games they look like, although I'm experimenting a bit as well for sure.  Not a fan of the "room full of giant Lakitus shooting out flaming fish" or whatever maps, or like silly hard trollish trick maps where you go in a door and fall into a pit or whatever.

I've found so far it's tough to balance this, maps I thought were pretty easy after a few attempts are getting abysmally low clearance rates, so maybe they're harder than I realize, or people are giving up after one attempt?  Anyways let me know what you think, I'll list up the rest of my stuff when I get home tonight, feel free to hunt it down through the lists though.

I do wish the Notifications would tell you when someone you follow has posted a new map...

I played this a ton over the weekend with my daughter and it truly is remarkable how fun it is to just mess around and create levels. The presentation is top notch. I'm not quite ready to upload any of mine yet as I'm still trying to find the right balance between making an engaging and interesting level without relying too much on making things super difficult. I am just not really a fan of the super difficult bombastic stuff and the automated levels that so many people seem to be gravitating towards making.

I've made a few but the only code I have handy is:

46F7-0000-0021-F31C, and I forget what level this was (not at my console right now).  

All the levels you've uploaded are automatically posted to miiverse, so you can access that from any browser =) Just go to your profile and click on your posts (the new redesign made it a bit harder). Anyway, as much as I like novelty levels, I do like levels that you actually have to play like a Mario level. So I'll be checking out all these levels you guys have posted tonight =)

So glad to see a Mario Maker thread here! Prediction: 100% wheat, 0% chaff around here.

Here is babby's very first level:

4EFF-0000-001E-A32C

(Wherein I attempt to bring a level of sanity and predictability to the enemies-in-?-blocks concept.)

And here is the second, which I'm quite pleased with!

4051-0000-0027-81CC

(Wherein I built a standard enemy-dispensing system and tried to see what fun things I could do to make it more and less of a pain in the ass, and where I tried designing a level with an "easy" path, with some other exploring options that are hinted at.)

Thoroughly enjoyed this BoingBoing article, ("Your Super Mario Maker level has no chill") though I suspect posting it here is preaching to the choir.

Here's a link to my Miiverse posts. Copy-paste your own Nintendo ID into the URL to display your own.

Looking forward to checking out all your levels!

Tango, I enjoyed that Shell Game map, nice use of those.  Sure beats the usual "haha gotcha".  And you even isolated the first one so you wouldn't accidentally jump right for it.

Nice second layer on that spiny-tube map.

Goob - thanks!

ColinP - Hey, those are great. I like the shapes and layouts and aesthetics you have going on in there. They're fun levels to explore. Also: I really like the climbing level. That's smart, using the door to chain climbing sections. I assume pipes would work the same way.

New level! I took the critique and eliminated auto-scrolling. Tell me if it seems too easy. Nice short level, and I love the SMB1 airship theme \m/

Seat Clenchin' Airship

55D3-0000-003B-487C

Spent a lovely evening playing quite a few of the creations here! Some really neat ideas on display. There were a few that I thought were too hard and I gave up on =P 

I couldn't figure out how to get to the bit with Bowser Jr, graddy!

Spent a lovely evening playing quite a few of the creations here! Some really neat ideas on display. There were a few that I thought were too hard and I gave up on =P

I couldn't figure out how to get to the bit with Bowser Jr, graddy!

There's something important you bring with you

This is bad. On the other hand, I can see why nintendo wouldn't want a bunch of people wondering "hey, how come i can't make THAT in Mario Maker?"

Hmm, though that's probably a real edge case.

It's just a dumb tack to take in this day and age. Nintendo's fighting a losing battle against the march of time and will soon find itself irrelevant if they keep attacking the fanbase like this. Sure, these people are hacking levels together and infringing Nintendo's copyright (if you follow the letter of the law), but modified Super Mario World levels will have exactly zero impact on the sales potential of a game like SMM. 

New course!

Options

FF29-0000-004D-A497

VENTURE UNDERGROUND ONLY IF YOU DESIRE AN EXTRA CHALLENGE.

New course as well!

Bowser's Panic Room!

AFBF-0000-005F-9DF1

Mario World castle level with an attempt at a boss fight.

Sharing these around, it's been interesting hearing reactions from friends and stuff, for sure.  Things I expect to hear and what people find hard and frustrating is really interesting to watch, and I love it when it's something that I intended, so that's great.

Also I really wish this editor had a way of scooting like, say, "all columns to the right of this point shift left by a block" that you could tap out.  Once you do a big layout but then want to adjust a few jumps in the middle or something its pretty much stupidly tedious, so I don't bother and just live with like a less perfect level.

I also wish you could put things on timers/cycles so like, you could have a whole row of podobos or firesticks or whatever all going together, instead of just popping up as they happen to appear on screen.  Patterns can get really messed up.  Am I wrong or did Little Big Planet have something like this, to keep certain objects in sync to a specific "beat"?

Coincidences! I also made a Bowser castle level. I noticed people were using some neat ideas to force people into engaging in boss battles (blocking the pipe with a Boo, using those falling donut-platforms to block a downward exit) and figured I'd do the opposite: make the focus on skirting the boss battle. I'm pretty proud of the results:

Blowing Up Bowser's Back Door

B930-0000-005F-88D5

CPijP2aUAAAbko_.png

And another, which I made to test an idea, but I think the level is not too exceptional:

The Feather-Gap Loop

5B84-0000-005F-7F24

CPjGrY2UAAA_L-e.png

I saw a few friends making "album art" for their MM levels, and then Jake mentioned it, so here we are!