Sign in to follow this  
Morpheox

Kraft - a text based iddle game im working on.

Hi, i came to this forum because its not easy to find iddle gaming communities, and this one seems pretty helpful, im working on a new text-based incremental game, im trying to get away from the sky-rocketing numbers, and trying to create a game with some complexity to it. My long-term plan its a game that requires some strategy and planning, and not just mindless clicking.(tho i love those games too).

Its a long term game, i add new content everyday, in case you reach end game too soon, just refresh for more content and bugfixes, i will assure the game will be retrocompatible with all saves in the alpha.

Its saves the game in a cookie each 5s, you can also save yourself manually.

Some feedback would be appreciated :)

I've been playing the game for a bit now. I'll get the grammar nazi out of me before i give proper criticism. I think the word you are looking for is consumption, not comsumption. 

I have played a few of these balancing games before, and I like how this game requires the player to switch out the current workers you have to speed up different resource gathering ratios. I feel a bit bad about constantly firing people, but it is just too expensive to buy houses, so the village is forced into it. I also like the small risk to continued playing reward you have going with the soldiers.

What tools are you using to create the game? is this flat jquery? I wuold look into using meteor or something, where you can push changes to your users without them needing to reload. It may be more hassle than it is worth though.

Huh, it's funny I never saw the Idle of Idle Thumbs this way. I think you're mistaken about what this forum is for, haha. It's a forum for a podcast called Idle Thumbs, not idle games specifically. But people post here about all sorts of games they're working on so this is still a good place to post.

I had a quick game, I could only sit at my computer so long this morning, so I didn't have time to get deep into the idling but I definitely have some nitpicky thoughts. Saying "wood consumption: -0.20/s" actually makes me unsure if this person is using up that wood per second or is slowing it's consumption somehow. I personally think removing the minus and instead changing the text to be red would be clearer. On that note, I know it's super early in development but it'd be good to adjust how it looks a bit. I'd prefer the boxes that explain what a button does to hover to the right of the buttons. At the moment I think they're appearing just to the right of the text, but that's less neat. If they were all to the right of the button they'd line up better too.

Also a tiny nitpick is that the text in the top left and top right (the population counter and the title with your email address) are a bit too close to the edge, I'd like if they were padded in a little. I know early on visuals aren't the focus, but these are small enough changes to make (I think) and if you do them now you don't need to worry about them later.

I also like direction it seems to be heading where everything is capped so there's actually something to manage (unlike in most I've played before, where resources go up exponentially and then you just divert them into getting more resources). I'll probably sneakily play in work tomorrow...

I do have to second that occasional typos and grammatical errors irked me. Funnily enough, I did get confused by one but it was one you did in this post. I assume you meant 'idle' when you said 'iddle', but I thought it was a joke/meant to be 'little' at first. Given that there's not that much text (I think?) I could possibly look over it to do minor corrections if you want. I don't wanna be too forward but just if you'd be interested you can let me know here/in a message.

Looking forward to getting a proper go of it!

EDIT: I did the terrible thing and after getting a population I turned off my farms, and let the food plummet to -0.02. It's a bit of a shame nothing happens there (yet) so I hope there's a plan for it. Also it may be a bug that it can go that low? Since it's stopped there I presume it's only meant to reach 0 and not lower.

Thanks for the feedback, english its not my native language, so corrections in typos are very welcome. The game its days old, so its very early in develpment.

About the farms, people dont die yet when food reaches 0, but they also dont produce anything, so they are as useful as dead, some units later in the game are very expensive, so to let them die seems a bit harsh, although with good management it shouldnt happen so i think it can be fun.

Oh, that makes sense! I think then, even if you don't want to add a dieing mechanic then it'd be good to signal that they're out of action somehow.