BigJKO

[DevLog] Tiny Tires

I've been trying to help with Tiny Tires by building a track editor. The editor is based on a spline object I created - you can drag anchor points and curve points with the mouse and the track mesh will regenerate itself on the fly. Here's a gif of me trying to replicate the original Tiny Tires track with the new editor. I'm almost there in about 45 seconds :)

post-35123-0-47878000-1461874021_thumb.gif

I wanna play this game in VR.

Ha! Jón already has a tabletop micro RC theme going. It'd be neat in a vive setup to walk around your room with the RC controller in your hands to follow the cars as they drive. Actually, lol, now it's seeming essential :D

Oh hai! I've actually been working on this occasionally for the last month.

Until now my track I was trying to generate rounded corners using Bezier Splines when it finally occured to me I should just.. actually just calculate a circular arc for the corners. So now the corners are sweet and smooth and perfectly round! :tup:

giphy.gif

And then I decided to finally model the bottom of the Tiny Tires car. But then.. I thought, this model is old as shit. I should just remodel the whole thing! Then I discovered Substance Painter and started doing all new textures. Two days later the game is basically the same, except now it has a sweet, new car chassis in it. :tup:

DUZf7s1X0AAX4xk.jpg

If you wish *really* hard for it, it might come true! :tup:

Did a bunch of editor scripting to make my life easier when making tracks. Placing elements on the track spline now works and I've added some start positions.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Say hello to the latest member of the Tiny Tires asset family!The Mehlers Compass

2Kky2V4.jpg

Thanks Dinosaursssss! :tup:

Here's a little video update showcasing the latest assets and spline track updates.

The sounds are temporary and were quickly made just before I recorded the video and are literally just me making "vroom!" noises with my mouth..

It's hilarious checking out this old 2014 Tiny Tires video now. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it, but I have made *some* progress on this after all. :)