Sign in to follow this  
gerbilsinspace

Posting Processing games to Itch.io

Hi eneryone, I'm looking to find any advice on posting games made in Processing onto Itch.io or similar sites. Has anyone had experience in getting them running without making them downloadable?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

What engine did you use? Was it Game Maker?

Edit: I think it was actually Unity.

So what you do is you export the webBuild format and that gives you a folder that has a file called index.html

Zip up that entire folder (the one with index.html in it) and upload it as an HTML game. Make sure that the resolution you put in your project export settings is the same as the resolution itch.io asks for.

Chrome will no longer play the Unity browser builds.

I'm trying to remember this all off the top of my head, so I could be wrong, but I can open it up and check when I get home if you haven't figured it out by then.

Second edit:

I should read.

I haven't uploaded a Processing game to Itch.io

I remember trying it a while ago and giving up... but I'm not very skilled at this sort of thing.

I think it would involve porting it to processing.js and then embedding it in an html file or something... I don't know enough about html to understand what I'm talking about. But since it's possible to get a processing.js file to run on a website, I assume that it can run on itch.io somehow.

For the moment I'm just posting the windows and mac builds of stuff, but if I make an actual game, rather than experiments, I'll give this more of a shot. Thanks for your help!

I don't understand some stuff.

So Unity doesn't work on Chrome anymore because they are dropping Java plug-ins (from what I understand). But it looks like Processing projects that are converted to Processing.js projects and then exported as HTML files will still work, yes? So Processing should continue to work on Chrome right? 

Javascript is not Java, so, based on the information in your post, there shouldn't be a problem.

Chrome is dropping support for an API that makes a bunch of stuff stop working, including the Unity plug in but doesn't affect HTML5 stuff.