Sign in to follow this  
Ben X

Chrome browser update disables Unity WebPlayer plugin

Just in case this affects anyone.

Hopefully anyone using Unity should be able to put out an installable version. If not, sounds like other browsers still work...

In other news: everyone's games look amazing and really exciting - well done, everyone, good luck in the last few days!

In Unity 5 you can do WebGL builds to get around this; the only problem is they take foreeever to build from Unity, and they take a long time to load in browser too.

It is possible to re enable the api needed to run the plug in. Just open chrome and put this in the address bar:

chrome://flags

Then you can go to 'enable NPAPI' and turn that back on then quit and reopen chrome and your plug ins will work again. This is a temporary fix cause they plan to ditch the API entirely by September but it'll do for the jam.

I just moved back to firefox. It's been a long time. I forgot how I used to have wikipedia as my home-page.

I've been using Firefox for the past year and while Flash seems to be super buggy, it's an overall much better experience than Chrome. Buuuuuuuut market share yada yada so we can't really ignore this.

Which means that I think everyone just needs to do both builds now, one huge, slow Chrome and one classic style for everyone else. Annoying but not the end of the world

Here's hoping that this has the intended effect of speeding up WebGL development so that it becomes truly viable

Every time I try to use Firefox I'm reminded how awful and slow it is compared to Chrome. I wish it wasn't because Google keeps doing stupid shit with Chrome. Ugh.

That said I don't really care about this because HTML5/WebGL should be and hopefully will be the best way to do things eventually anyway.

Sign in to follow this