tberton

Eggcorns

The name "Miles Prower" is a pun on "miles per hour", a reference to the famed speed of Sonic the Hedgehog. He is an 8-year-old[1] fox with two tails,[2] hence the nickname.

Aha.

I literally just got that.

"Miles Prower"

Good lord, I had never noticed that before.

My favourite thing is that every single time "Miles Prower" is brought up in a group, without fail, it will be someone's first time realizing it's a pun.

My favourite thing is that every single time "Miles Prower" is brought up in a group, without fail, it will be someone's first time realizing it's a pun.

The Deus Ex of puns.

My favourite thing about the Miles Prower pun is that the developers (or probably translators) of Sonic Chaos on the Master System didn't get it and called him Miles Power.

In everyone's defense, I believe that every time he's referred to in the manuals, etc, it's almost always Miles "Tails" Prower, or simply Miles or Tails. So it wasn't ever really in your face, at least as far as I recall.

More story than most people have probably read about Sonic 2 (from the manual): 

Miles "Tails" Prower, the fox, can't sit still when Sonic's around. Ever since Miles was a baby fox, he's dreamed of being like Sonic. He loves to run after Sonic, waving his two tails behind him, trying to keep up with his hero!

Mostly, Sonic lets him trail along. But sometimes, just to show off, Sonic explodes in a burst of super speed and leaves him behind. But Miles doesn't give up. He whirls his tails like a helicopter rotor and takes off flying until he catches up!

All the animals call Miles by his nickname, "Tails", because of his two special tails. And one day they saw an astonishing feat...

They were all together in the forest, watching Sonic perform. Sonic would run, spin and jump in his Super Spin Attack. Then "Tails" would whirl like a turbo engine and blast off in hisSuper Dash Attack. What a showoff!

Suddenly, "Tails" just couldn't help himself. He took a running start, curled up his tails, and - whoosh - he was spinning like Sonic!

Realistically though, we should have noticed how he has a conspicuous full name instead of just 'Cool Name' the Type of Animal.

Realistically though, we should have noticed how he has a conspicuous full name instead of just 'Cool Name' the Type of Animal.

At the time he was introduced though, there wasn't that precedent. Sonic and Robotnik were the only other named characters.

I did eventually notice it as a kid, but I think it was after owning and playing the game for quite some time. I'm pretty sure I thought it was Miles Prowler for a long time, since he's a fox, and foxes prowl, probably.

I'm still a little put out they got rid of the name Robotnik. It's so much better than Eggman.

(One of the novelisations decided his pre-bad guy name should be Dr. Kintobor, one of the many reasons why I instinctively try to reverse unfamiliar words. Also Dr. Namgge totally doesn't work, another strike against Eggman.)

Wait, if Tails has a full name, does that mean everyone else does too?

Is Sonic's last name just "The Hedgehog"?

I'm still a little put out they got rid of the name Robotnik. It's so much better than Eggman.

Not being a fan of the series, I always assumed it was Dr. Robot Nick. 

One of the novelisations decided his pre-bad guy name should be Dr. Kintobor

I had that. A science accident turned his name backwards and made him spherical. And evil, I guess.