Sign in to follow this  
Intrepid Homoludens

Fable: The Official Hero Progress Report Thread

fable-20040811100941686_thumb.jpg fable-20040713103655501_thumb.jpg fable-20040702031642148_thumb.jpg

Click for large.

Hero renown name: Piemaster. I bought this name for him because it was the cheapest out of all the available ones, and I got sick and tired of people calling him Chicken Chaser. Besides, all the other available names were boring, typical RPG titles like Ranger and Malificous :Z .

Behaviour: Piemaster is very mischievous, quirky, edgy, unpredictable, yet lovable in the end. He is rather disturbing but respected by, and even amusing to, everyone. He has a tendency to sneer at people and then laugh afterwards, and likes to flirt with both women and men. He loves going back to the village occasionally to visit the schoolkids and flirt with their male teacher. To relieve boredom in between battles and quests, he entertains himself by farting :fart: and belching in the woods, and punching the occasional traveller who happens to laugh at him or call him Chicken Chaser. He loves eating red meat, pies, and fruits, and hates Crunchy Chicks and fish, but will only eat them if there is nothing else available to replenish his health. He really hates Crunchy Chicks.

Skills status progress: Piemaster has decided to focus on melee weapons like the sword and mace, alternating with liberal uses of magic. Because of this he is gradually developing his musculature, but because he's still early in his heroism it'll be a bit before we see him really beefed up. At this moment his arms and shoulders are thickening. Using a lot of magic spells will inevitably see him aging a bit prematurely. As far as upgrading he's leaning much on strength and toughness, with a healthy dose of 'will' (magic). However he needs some help in his people skills like trading, and perhaps some thieving.

Alignment: Being ultimately good hearted, Piemaster may look menacing, but under all that he's truly sweet. However, no halos or angelic glow for him, he likes his tattoos and dark clothing. He likes saying hello to the villagers, but will steal from their houses just to have some fun (and instant cash). He has killed one or two civilians, but it was only by accident, honest!

Appearance: Piemaster has a decidedly very edgy but sexy look. He has tattoos on his face and arms, and a giant griffin inked on his chest - very pretty. To show these off he usually goes shirtless, wearing darkest pants, boots, and gloves, which often scares people. So far he sports a clean shaven face and a mohawk but will probably go back to being bald soon if no other cool hairstyle card is found. Unfortunately, because it's on Xbox I can't take screenshots of Piemaster.

Okay, whoever is playing Fable now, share your hero's progress!! I'll post further progress the deeper I get into the game. Right now I'm in at just over 6 hours. 8-)

Ahh Piemaster, if it wernt for the dateing his sister thing, he might not have tried to stab me. O well live and learn.

Hero renown name: Gladiator, I was about to go into the arena and it seemed appropriate

Behaviour: Good, the only bad things he's done is steal from people's houses. Is married to 2 women, and hasn't been divorced once. Has had sex 17 times.

Farthest chicken punt: 17. something. Has donated over 1000 to AVON

Skills status progress: Focusing on Physical and Skill, cause I don't like looking old, Ilike long-range weaponry, and I need more health

Alignment: Being good-hearted he's good, some butterflies fly around but no halo yet

Appearance: Two tatoos on chest, ponytail and normal beard.

Hero renown name: Chicken Chaser still, because I haven't decided which new one I want. Can you change it after you buy one?

Behaviour: Flirts and farts at friggin everybody. I'm serious. Sometimes I'll just start flirting and farting and suddenly wonder where those 20 minutes went.

Skills status progress: I'm trying to level my three areas pretty evenly, but the damn bows seem to frustrating to bother. Zapping people is fun though.

Alignment: Tries his damndest to be good, but keeps killing people due to using auto-aim with the lightning spell. Damnit!

Appearance: The closest beard I could find to my own beard, plus whatever lame clothes I can buy that don't give me an alignment modifier of -3095.

Hero renown name: Chicken Chaser still, because I haven't decided which new one I want. Can you change it after you buy one?

Yep. Just go to the vendor right outside the front door of the Hero's Guild (by the boasting platform). Most of them are rather expensive, but you can change it anytime you want.

Ah, cool. I know where the guy is, I just didn't know if I should hold out and see if he gets some better names later or what. I just beat the Arena, so I've got some gold to spare. Time for a new title.

Man, I can't wait to play the Witted Bastard. Can you tame a Balverine?

Unfortunately, I decided not to buy an Xbox at the moment so I hope they'll do a PC port. Or maybe I can convince my friend to borrow me his Xbox (though he bought it from the US, and my TV only supports PAL so I wouldn't get any colors).

Just a brief progress report, FYI:

Hero renown name: It is now Sabre (previously Piemaster). Still no interesting name available.

Behaviour: Sabre still flirts with both sexes. But now that he's advanced practically every woman in Oakvale has fallen in love with him. However, he's been courting an attractive blonde fellow in Barrows Field and is on the verge of marrying him. He is still a virgin. He had just purchased his childhood home in Oakvale and sleeps there in between quests. He's still quite mischievous, poking in people's homes in search of things to steal. Unfortunately he hasn't had much time to visit the schookids in Bowerstone South, now that he's very busy with all these quests.

When not kicking Balverine ass, Sabre likes the meditative sport of fishing.

Skills status progress: Still focused on Strength - physique over level 3 (yay!), health bar as high as I can afford, toughness alongside. With Skill, Sabre is now more agile and quicker with his Greataxe. His magic bar is much higher now, with emphasis on Lightning, Fireball, and Enflame. Strong melee combat skills augmented with Attack Spells is his specialty.

Alignment: Saber's developed a faint halo, not quite sure how I feel about that. He's ultimately good hearted, but will still punch any traveller who laughs at him or makes awkward remarks.

Appearance: I'm afraid I've fallen in love with Sabre. He has that perfect musculature just now, not too beefy and nice shoulders. Those battle scars on his face are fooking sexy! His hair (now that he's got it) is going blonde, which I'm ambivalent about, surprised me because I thought he'd stay a brunette. He prefers the darker clothes. He now sports a menacing face tattoo (forgot what it's called) which goes nicely with that tattoo on his chest that, according to the info, is supposed to drive enemies insane when they see it.

Do I understand correctly that the renown names can only be bought? That kind of goes against the 'for every action a consequence' advertising. As does changing alignment for money etc. I still think I'll enjoy it once I get to play it, though.

Do I understand correctly that the renown names can only be bought? That kind of goes against the 'for every action a consequence' advertising. As does changing alignment for money etc. I still think I'll enjoy it once I get to play it, though.

The names are used for nothing but identification. Since people can't pronounce the name you type in for your character, they have to refer to you by title. They still despise you if you kill their friends or whatever, even if your name is "Liberator".

my character - maleficus - the only hero name on the list that wasnt something super weak like 'ranger' or 'druid' (and means 'Evil; malicious') would crush you puny chicken chasers under his oversized hammer and laugh heartily. Not that I have anything against you, it's just in his nature you understand

A huge bukly bastard of a man with a blazing flame tatoo across my deep red eyes, a bald head and a 'power moustache'. Flies buzz around my Horned head whilst red smoke pours from my feet. He wears dark heavy chain mail all over and carries an obsidian great hammer augmented with fire and silver.

I have married 4 times, been divorced twice and killed the other two (after sex of course), I'm working on a Henry VIII thing here. I own 5 buildings and rent 2 of them to my ex wives. I'm working on purchasing all of Oakdale before I move on to the next village and buy that up too. Of course you have to murder the current owner before you can buy a house, and unless you want to get fined that can be tricky. Best way is luring them to a secluded spot or bribing the guards.

I haven't been using the bow really at all and only upgrading the skill points that relate to dexterity and melee. I use the lightning its cool... Berserk and assassin rush plus the slow time spell are all really useful for caning people off. I've just got that summon spell to see if that’s any good but my summoned wasp has so far achieved nothing.

I've just got that summon spell to see if that’s any good but my summoned wasp has so far achieved nothing.
How does the summon spell work? Does the summoned thing follow you around and help you fight? Does it get killed easily or timeout? Can you summon any creature if you upgrade it or something?

yeah it like starts as something weak and then apaprently if it kills something your summon becomes that thing.. with higher levels i guess it starts at something a little stornger than a wasp

those wasps scream when they die.. its frightening

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about that Summon spell, haven't 'activated' it yet. But, I do find the Ghost Swords to be quite convenient. It works very well at distracting multiple enemies while I deal with them one at a time, so I don't have to worry so much about getting bonked from all sides. Good stuff.

BTW, that boss battle in the Bandit's camp was very suspenseful, I didn't think I'd make it. Halfway through it I finally realized his weak point (after all but wiping out my food supply for health), and I went from there. However, the plot turning cutscene that followed sucked major!! I mean, come Mr. Molly Knew!! I want pure emotion! I want to grow limp and cry like a baby finding out what happened to you-know-who! :hmph:

i decided to put this in spoiler tags in case you dont want to read them, they arent giving away any story at all but some people might not want to read them and then letter bomb me.... useful hintage:

Hint: when you complete the last quest and the credits come up, dont skip them. if you do your game ends there, otherwise you can still play freeplay in the world.

for free XP do the arena, save your hero then reload the save and you'll start at the beginning again but with all your 30,000 xp that you just got.

not that i did that.. but i wish i had :)

evil is way more rewarding than good, which is a bit dumb.

not self rewarding just enjoyment of the game and what you can do. in order to be good it just seems you have to /not/ do things. so when you play evil you get all the extra fun of killing, stealing, tricking and being a cad. This in turn means its easier because you can steal so much equipment and cash.

cool, spaffzilla! thanks, and did i tell you how fooking sexy you are? well, i never did and i never will.

i wanna go back later after finishing and start from scratch as a nimble thief/mage/hot lover type. i want him to grow just enough horns to make him slightly wicked, but in the end still good hearted. prodigal stealthy sexy motherfooker if you will.

Latest news from the front:

Hero renown name: Liberator. Cripeys, these 'pre-fab' names are boring.

General world progress: Over 45 hours in (that long 'cause I love to run around the gameworld and kill stuff and get stuff); Liberator 'played around' with the white balverine; survived and championed the Arena but spared Whisper her life; rescued pivotal character from the Prison; footraced in nothing but skivvies (heh); kicked rival hero's ass and ended up marrying the Mayor of Bowerstone, but still trying to figure out how to murder her, Liberator thinks she's evil and doesn't like her; finally married that schoolteacher in Bowerstone South...he's such an incredibly sweet and humble spouse, Liberator's tenderly in love with him (always lavishes him with gifts after coming back from quests and exploring, then having a few wonderful 'lying downs' :naughty: ).

Behaviour: No more farting and very little sneering now. He still finds time to visit the schookids in Bowerstone. He deeply loves his husband, the former schoolteacher. Stops and says hi to everyone. Will get drunk and throw up occassionally, especially after completing the big quests.

Class: Legendary Spellwarrior.

Skills status progress: Liberator has maxed out his strength, etc., as well as Assassin Rush and Slow Time. These combined, he is nearly invincible, speed fused with sheer physical force. His main weapon now is the Katana Hiryo (found in Lady Grey's bedroom), with the brilliant Harbinger sword (pulled from the rock at the temple of Alvo by maxing out strength skills) a close second.

Alignment: Good. Liberator's halo is pronounced and he's followed by 3 ghostly yet annoying butterflies. He's a protector of travellers and stays true to his hubby (though he's inevitably also married to Lady Grey, hopefully soon to become her widower).

Appearance: At 62 years old, he looks weathered (battle scars and faint traces of tattoos long since removed) but supremely formidable and still youthful, what all younger inexperienced men dream of achieving. The Samruno Tattoo on his face and head, and the Vambrace Tattoo on his arms indicate an advanced stage of championship. He has the Buzz cut and is clean shaven. At the moment he's in the bright spellcaster's suit (found beyond the demon door at Rose Cottage), but will don the plate torso (a gift from schoolteacher hubby) and chainmail pants for very heavy battles. Overall he looks very powerful and invincible, but those baby blue eyes belie the sweetest heart.

FINISHED!!

Hero renown name: Liberator. Yaaaaawwn! :yawn:

General world progress: Done, at over 50 hours (much of which was spent on exploration and looking for goodies).

Behaviour: Liberator has been too busy trying to stop that Jack of Blades bastard to do anything anymore (least of all fart and sneer). Forgot about hubby back at Bowerstone South (who stopped being affectionate anyway), and that annoying wife Lady Grey, who he never loved, married her only as a means to move further.

Class: Legendary Spellwarrior.

Skills status progress: Liberator has maxed out his strength, etc., as well as Assassin Rush and Slow Time. These combined, he is nearly invincible, speed fused with sheer physical force. His main weapon now is the Katana Hiryo (found in Lady Grey's bedroom), with the brilliant Harbinger sword (pulled from the rock at the temple of Alvo by maxing out strength skills) a close second.

He finally maxed out his archery skills, augmenting it with maxed out Multi Arrow will skills. Convenient.

Alignment: Good, above and beyond everything. After finally defeating the climactic final boss, he was given the opportunity to kill a pivotal character and claiming the ultimate powerful weapon but refused, thus staking his supreme benevolence in all of Albion.

Appearance: At 65+ years old, he looks weathered (battle scars and faint traces of tattoos long since removed) but supremely formidable and still youthful, what all younger inexperienced men dream of achieving. The Samruno Tattoo on his face and head, and the Vambrace Tattoo on his arms indicate an advanced stage of championship. He has the Buzz cut and is clean shaven. At the moment he's in the bright spellcaster's suit (found beyond the demon door at Rose Cottage), but will don the plate torso (a gift from schoolteacher hubby) and chainmail pants for very heavy battles. Overall he looks very powerful and invincible, but those baby blue eyes belie the sweetest heart.

He is godlike yet tender, placing family and goodness above all, even at the expense of becoming the most powerful hero in the world. Definitely deserving of a night of celebration with beer and meat and pies at the tavern!!

Well, after saving all of Albion's ass, Liberator decided to celebrate by going into every single tavern and buying everyone beers. It's fun seeing everybody drunk and staggering around, but he's joined in as well, if you ignore him throwing up every other moment. Hooray! He's getting the whole town drunk!

I wonder if it would be fun to do a similar progress report for San Andreas. I already arranged that I'll borrow a PS2 from a friend when the game gets released this month... Can't wait.

BTW:

Fable Breaks European Records

The success of Fable continues as the epic RPG breaks all records in Europe…

After setting records in North America, Microsoft Game Studios today confirmed that Fable has become the fastest-selling Xbox title ever in Europe, according to independent research groups Chart-Track and GfK.

It helped to make the 9th and 10th October weekend the biggest Xbox launch weekend ever in Europe, with more than 30,000 shifted in the UK alone and an additional 18,000 in France.

“We’re very excited that so many gamers are experiencing the world of Albion in ‘Fable’,” said Michel Cassius, Senior Director, Xbox Platform and Marketing. “The success of ‘Fable’ is a tribute to the vision of Peter Molyneux and Lionhead and to the fantastic open-ended and accessible gameplay experience that ‘Fable’ offers. The choices the gamer makes during the course of the adventure creates a completely different experience each time the game is played, offering outstanding replay value and widening the appeal while satisfying the core gamer audience. This title is a great example of how the Xbox portfolio is broadening, encompassing titles for the committed gamer as well as more casual gamers.”

Totalvideo games.com

I watched a friend playing Fable for a few hours yesterday, and I have to admit the game made quite a favourable impression on me. I had expected otherwise, but whatever gameplay-wise flaws it has, I was absolutely anchanted by the wonderful design of the environments. Truly, when my friend ran around a graveyard for a questm, it was as if I was remembering a lively dream where I found myself in the greatest swampy graveyard setting ever. The game had captured that atmosphere so well! I was also amused by the demon doors, which was only damaged a little when I found out this wasn't a singular mysterious puzzle, but 'only' a returning recycled element. And I actually liked how the game has only linear paths. At first I thought it would be too restrictive, but this is completely blown away by how beautiful it all is. Everything in Fable is hills and sloped grounds; you're always running up and down, in a twisting and spiralling landscape. This makes it so fairy-esque, so quaint and dreamy... If only this sort of terrain would have been in Morrowind, whose terrain I'd desribe as 'dreary' (not because it's all grey, but it feels so flat, even though there are plenty of mountains).

The last thing I'd like to point out was the symbolic quality of some of the characters I saw in the great cutscenes. That blind sister with the blindfold on speaking in riddles, wow. Now that's a character that becomes more than just an NPC. It's like she becomes this iconic symbol, an archetype for classic stories. I don't know, hard to describe.

Anyway, favourable it is ^_^

Alignment: Good, above and beyond everything. After finally defeating the climactic final boss, he was given the opportunity to kill a pivotal character and claiming the ultimate powerful weapon but refused, thus staking his supreme benevolence in all of Albion.

Uber-spoiler:

Ranger used to be such a nice guy. Super nice. But when I had to make that choice, it took me long time to make. I could've taken the path of righteousness, and have the game end there. Or I could kill her, and continue to freeplay in the world, kicking ass everywhere with the sword of Aeons. In the end, the temptation was just too great and I killed her. I lost my halo and my little glowing orb things, but I was still a little on the good side. So now I've decided to wander around Albion doing good deeds until I redeem myself and get my halo back.

Honestly, there's nothing like turning the tables around and just completely kicking a rock troll's ass with this sword.