Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Concept art from a new (presumably cancelled) ALIEN film

I feel like a lot of these aren't just trying to appeal to nostalgia; but pull in new audiences into known, safe franchises by abandoning canon.

I'm surprisingly okay with them rebooting Terminator so that it can work as a franchise, because it is and they'll keep making them and I'm certainly okay in theory with the idea, but Terminator was a one-and-done and Terminator 2 made it clear that a Terminator 3 couldn't work.

An Alien reboot, on the other hand... there's no reason why new Alien stories can't be made, it's just that making them good is hard enough that people shouldn't try.

The new Terminator also feels like kind of a transparent way to get Schwarzenegger back, even though he was always a terrible actor and will contribute nothing now that he's no longer as physically imposing as he once was.

I'd prefer it if they didn't make more Alien; because the more details you learn about the Alien, the less scary it gets.

Okay, now he's said that he doesn't want "to undo 3 and Resuurection", just stay close spiritually to the first two. So it's unclear what he's going to do...

That's a shame. District 9 was one of the best movies I've ever seen, but his follow ups haven't interested me.

So what we're hearing here is that movie studios aren't as dumb as they look: if Ridley Scott gets a good script he'll deliver a good movie, but Neill Blomkamp had one good movie in him and everyone was wary about giving him Alien.

I'm still buying the narrative that Blomkamp has some really good ideas and abilities. He just needs a Peter Jackson or a Del Toro to hang around and give him advice. Kinda like what some people are saying about David Cage right now.

I mean District 9 is great and this sci fi focus on Johannesburg has been really cool but I feel like if Halo the movie hadn't tanked and PJ + Wingnut Films + Weta weren't sitting around wanting to make a sci fi film District 9 could have just been another almost good sci fi film. 

Slightly related I got to see the Weta workshop tour and they have a stuffed Sam Niell sitting in a fully functional Warthog that can go 50kph sideways (it might have been mph actually). Oh and all the District 9 guns were really cool to look at/hold.

Good.

Blomkamp has been in a downhill slope since District 9 and his recon of Aliens 3 would have pissed me off.

3 is criminally underrated and I think they should just have a new character with history of the alien franchise looming over the new protagonist. Leave Ripely dead, I enjoyed her death I. 3

Apparently he wasn't going to retcon Alien3 so much as circumvent it, though I don't know how the hell he was planning on that. I won't get back into arguments about whether 3 was good or not, but Resurrection already shit the bed with regards to Ripley's death, the franchise, etc. So I'm with Moddy - Blomkamp just needs a good script and producer to focus him and he could turn out some (more, after District Nine) top-notch sci-fi.