Sign in to follow this  
Stuart

Music of the Year!

This year has been really scarce as far as albums that I enjoyed. Some real disappointments even, like Mastodon and Aphex Twin.

The first half of Death Grips - The Powers That B was really weird even by DG standards(like that's a thing) but I really like most of it and the second part seems promising if the single 'Inanimate Sensation' is a sign of things to come.

But of course the album(s) of the year has to be Mouthsounds / Mouthsilence. If your one of the few who hasn't heard them. Congratulations, take 2 hours off and just listen to them and be pleased with your life.

2014's 2013 Album of the year for me is The Haxan Cloak - Excavation. I didn't hear it until earlier this year and I absolutely love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otvGoSmEDIQ

My hard drive just flipped it's shit so I can't freely browse my music right now, but my album of the year was hands down The Contortionist - Language. What at first just seemed like a very confident retread of popular metal tropes, soon revealed itself to be an extremely intricate, well-written and tightly-woven piece of music. At last count I was sitting on at least 50 full listens, all over the course of a couple months.

The first half of Death Grips - The Powers That B was really weird even by DG standards

Ha, I see those dudes at the coffee shop I go to regularly. 

Didn't really keep up to date with current releases. As mentioned above, I really liked Clipping, FKA Twigs, Future Islands (their David Letterman performance was incredible), Mogi Grumbles' FRACT OSC OST.

Other favourites: The Transistor soundtrack(s) by Darren Korb and Ashley Barrett, the Nebraska soundtrack by Mark Orton (from 2013, and since I'm cheating I might as well mention the Upstream Color soundtrack by Shane Carruth), A World Lit Only By Fire by Godflesh.

Superfavourites:

Reachy Prints by Plaid

(album playlist here:

)

Open by The Necks (three piece improv "jazz" group from Australia that does album length tracks, Open is probably the most melodic and accessible they've been in a while and it's great)

Still need to listen to all the new stuff released by Swans, St Vincent, Shabazz Palaces, Sun Kil Moon, The Bug, and so forth.