Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Call to Thumbs: Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast!

Surely you've all played Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast: The Revenge of Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight 1. As some of you may have noticed, we have a review in the works for Jedi Outcast and are looking for some second opinions from you.

What did you think of JK2? The story, levels, the lightsaber stuff... The multiplayer? Did it do it for you, or do you still find yourself loading up your hideously patched-up copy of JK1 for a quick round in the Massassi Temple? Got a story to share of something fun, or shit, that happened to you while playing? Is the game a hideous pimpley scar on the face of FPS gaming, or Extended Universe mythology, or does it totally rule and you're offended by my implications otherwise? You must share your thoughts!

Spaff won't even publish the review until you guys speak up, so let's hear it, what are your thoughts on Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast?

One could evey say you're our only hope, but maybe I'll spoiler tag that so it goes unnoticed.

For your convenience, I'll copy some of my ramblings on Jedi Outcast live from the Adventuregamers forums, so you can slap them onto the article and finally republish it.

Here it is:

I still uphold my belief that Stormtroopers are the best cannon fodder ever. I relished in the experience of killing them in Dark Forces, and the fun hasn't died away since then. It's still grueling fun in Jedi Outcast.

The demo of Outcast was a great, but when I bought the full version, I was dissappointed. I just didn't get the same feelings playing the full game that I got from playing the demo.

The lightsaber fighting was cool and done a lot better than in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, but I hated the last levels in the game and there were some bugs that bugged me out.

I thought it was an interesting spin on the definition of a First Person Shooter. I enjoyed executing my foe with the lightsaber, and hoisting them up into the air unmercifully with the force grip!

All in all, I'd say I had a great time playing the game, and it is certainly one of the more interesting FPS games I have played in my tenure.

It's one of those games I had a whole lot of fun playing, but I'd be hard pushed to remember many different levels from it now, or the plot. I think it had one, and it was cool, because it allowed for lots of saber fighting with 'Remnant' evil Jedi dudes. Also, Luke was in it, and there was some training on Yavin. Oh yeah, and Cloud City too (the best bit of the game).

As for comparisons to the original Jedi Knight - bizarrely, the second Dark Forces, making the game you're reviewing technically the third one of those - I think this one thoroughly trounces it in the execution of the saber fighting. That was a lot of fun, especially with cinematic slo-mo camera-circling enemy deaths (you can turn the frequency of these up and down, I favoured having them happen a lot because it made me feel like a badass).

Sadly, they dropped the player's Dark/Light side choice, which is why nowadays when I hear the names LucasArts or Raven, I can only snicker at their sissiness.