Sign in to follow this  
tberton

Twine twine twine twine

I'm working on a game in Twine, the free interactive-fiction development tool. I'm having a bit of trouble though and would love some advice. RIght now, I'm having trouble getting the visited() function to work. From the example on the Wiki, it seems that using

<<if visitied("PassageName")>>

text

<<endif>>

should make the text visible only if PassageName was visited. That doesn't seem to be working for me. Does anybody with any experience with Twine have any pointers?

I pretty much avoided anything complicated in Twine, but is that one of the in-built functions, or do you need to include it in its own passage somewhere? Does it work if you switch the style of your game (or whatever they're called, one of them is Jonah)? I found some stuff simply didn't work in both versions. Is it something you need to silently set to zero in your opening passage?

Finally, if you pasted that code directly from your story, you've got a typo in "visited"! (A lot of the time when something didn't work for me, it was a simple typo or using the wron bracket or writing a command from memory and getting it wrong!)

Haha! It was a combination of typo (although a different one: a was missing a quotation mark) and no backslashes. Thanks guys!

So, is anyone else doing anything with Twine?

I started mapping out my dialogue trees per scene for my adventure game with it, but then I got a unity plugin that basically has the same flowchart functionality while at the same time being the system that powers the dialogue itself, so I didn't see a need to maintain it in two places. I do like it though, I'd want to make something small with it someday.