Sign in to follow this  
ThePope

PC or Console?

Which do you like better?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better?

• PC
    • Console

I must say that I am turned on by the prospect of not having to check the required system specs on the back of a game before buying it.

These days, all I can play is consoles because my computer is woefully out of date and I don't have the money right now to get a new one. Plus it's a laptop so I can't upgrade.

Jesus, Chris. The laptop with the 16mb graphics card is your only PC? Didn't you have a desktop at some point?

Yes, but it's old enough that there's no point in trying to upgrade it. I'd just have to rebuy everything except possibly the case, and knowing this industry there's probably been some new Extreme Case Technology introduced since that one was made.

EDIT: I can keep the mouse and keyboard!

Not if they're not wireless optical, you can't.

Get with the times, Chris.

I love console gaming, but in the past, the vast majority of games that I've wanted to play have been on PC, so for that reason, I'd say I'm a PC boy at heart. But in recent years, more and more of the console releases have interested me, so I'm nearing a 50/50 situation now.

I refuse to vote. Due to the different natures of consoles and PC's, they can't easily be compared, they're wholly different machines. Consoles lend themselves better for more action-based gaming, whereas PC usually supports more complex gaming or games that require the use of a mouse (think realtime strategy or Baldur's Gate type RPG's).

And it really depends on my mood. Sometimes I lavish in the fact that you can just turn on the console and play right away, without having to wait for windows, or wait for the cd-drive to gobble up my cd without spitting it out again, and generally have to wait for flawed and erratic pieces of machinery to see if they feel like working today. Also, I feel my Gamecube games are more "real" in a way. Maybe it's because of the internet, that everyone can just download a game or you can easily copy it that a PC-game doesn't really make me feel like I own it if I buy it. But a Gamecube game does exactly that for me. It even goes so far that I'm willing to spend 10 euro's more on a game to get it on my Gamecube instead of the PC. Just for the feel of it.

But all this'doesn't mean the PC is absolete. I just have to play Morrowind or Warcraft or any adventure to realise again that I like them both, and each platform has its own deficiencies and plusses. For instance, a console doesn't allow you to 'tinker' with your game, to take screenshots or extract sounds or download a plug-in for it (though X-Box has some of these features, they're not yet so far that they outwit the PC on this terrain).

I saw PS1 selling for 29 bucks the other day. I wanted to get it, but the games and memory cards cost more, so the hell with it.

I'd like consoles more if they were more affordable.

Consoles are way more affordable than PC's unless your one who pirates games which is always easier on a PC). Graphics cards are about the equivalent of consoles, games are just as expensive, and then there are tons of other things to worry about too.

computers have high resolution and the keyboard mouse set up is unbeatable for FPS...but as TVs and consoles work towards higher resolutions computer games might stop making making sense.

The poll is waaaaaaaay too binary for my taste, so I didn't vote.

That said, here are the logistics a la Trep. In my current situation - moving in with my fabulous sister - I have the best of both worlds: my PC, her PC, and the family Xbox. So then I can play more current PC games (HL2, Bloodlines, etc.) on her more powerful PC, recent games on my own PC, and console games on Xbox. The advantages for the PC are obvious, but unfortunaely I can't play online anymore because my dumb-ass brother-in-law installed satellite Internet, with its bandwith cap :frusty: , yet at least I have the option of playing single player PC titles anyway.

The biggest advantage of the Xbox is that I can play games with my niece and little nephew (I currently have a deal with him that if he unlocks and beats all the tracks in Project Gotham Racing I'll reward him with a Speed Racer DVD set). But so far I have no intense interest in the games they now have - Pirates of the Caribbean, Midtown Madness 3, Fellowship of the Ring, Spyhunter 2....they're all boring to me. I'm gonna get Fable and maybe another game. In any case, console gaming is far more conducive socially.

Ideally I'd love to be able to afford a laptop, for my writing, gaming, and Internet research, but that's a few years down the road. Hopefully by then the technology will have reached the point where laptops can finally have upgradeable parts like a PC. That would be the ultimate sweet spot.

Consoles are way more affordable than PC's unless your one who pirates games which is always easier on a PC). Graphics cards are about the equivalent of consoles, games are just as expensive, and then there are tons of other things to worry about too.

I paid 200 dollars for xbox and 1500 dollars for my desktop, and 300 dollars for a videocard.

1500 + 300 < 200

I study math, trust me.

You forget, Jayel, that you're also using the PC for: doing homework, paying bills, downloading pr0n, emailing, chatting with friends, downloading pr0n, photoshopping, buying new games online, downloading pr0n, researching, hanging out in Idle Thumbs forums, downloading pr0n, getting game demos, checking your bank balance, downloading pr0n, ripping music cds, making MP3s, downloading pr0n, watching DVD movies, and downloading pr0n.

You forget, Jayel, that you use computers a lot.

True, but you don't need a powerful computer (that is, a gaming computer) to do all those things. My PC is perfectly capable of doing all those tasks, but it is not capable of playing current games. I'm going to have to buy a new PC if I want to play games (even most one- or two-year-old games) but that money will be spent purely for the purposes of games, not for any practical purposes.

Yeah, but in fairness, you have easy access to game demos with PCs, which you do not with this Gen's Consoles. Although I hardly think that's worth the price of the PC over the Console.

EDIT: I'm getting an Xbox on Friday. Wooo!

Yeah, demos are one of the very few things that consoles have over the PC in terms of accessibility. In terms of just accessibility, I'd say that and online multiplayer are the two big ones, although Xbox Live is surprisingly painless and affordable.

Yeah, demos are one of the very few things that consoles have over the PC in terms of accessibility.

You saying consoles have the edge over PC in terms of accessibility? I thought the opposite. :erm:

In terms of just accessibility, I'd say that and online multiplayer are the two big ones, although Xbox Live is surprisingly painless and affordable.

How much does it cost to subscribe to Xbox Live (for gaming only) versus the fact that you can have Internet access for general purposes as well as multiplayer gaming on your PC? And if you subscribe to Xbox Live AND Internet, that would be even more expensive, yes?

And there's also free downloadable mods and other amenities. Just thought I'd throw it into the mix.

pc, because of usually better graphics, easier controlls (i hate these §$%!$% gamepads) and the possibility to be more creative to name a few reasons for me.

ohhh...and pc games are cheaper than xbox/ps2 games. at least here in austria.

I find it far easier to use a single controller over a keyboard&mouse combo...

But that depends on the game, doesn't it? I wouldn't dismiss an entire system - PC vs. console - on a generic preference of control schemes. There have been and are console games that have crappy interface and control configurations, sometimes uncustomizable. Same thing for some PC games.

...pc games are cheaper than xbox/ps2 games. at least here in austria.

That's one really plausible advantage. PC games go on sale much faster than console games, it's primarily tied in to the royalties console devs have to pay companies like Sony, etc., for the rights to make games on their systems.