Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

Let It Die - evolution of Dark Souls ideas?

So the live action trailer for Let it Die was perplexing and disturbingly gruesome.  But one of the components of it has me pretty interested:

...when players die, their dead selves are uploaded to Let It Die's servers (into what I'm calling the "Death Cloud"). From here, your dead hero is downloaded to other players' Let It Die game, where your character becomes an enemy. Likewise, your own world is populated by the dead characters from other players' worlds.

That seems like the kind of mechanic that could show up in a Souls game, and is the rare attempt to capitalize on a kind of asynchronous player interaction.   If the design/fashion element is strong, the idea of being able to customize a character and then die, letting it loose on others is really intriguing. 

Player "ghost" enemies have been a staple of roguelikes since Nethack I believe. It's always great to me to see more of roguelike games' great ideas bleed into the mainstream.

Your link just leads to joystiq btw, not a specific page. Here's the stuff tagged with the game.

http://www.joystiq.com/tag/let-it-die

every time I see this thread title I read it in the same way that I would read "let it go" after seeing Frozen.

Player "ghost" enemies have been a staple of roguelikes since Nethack I believe. It's always great to me to see more of roguelike games' great ideas bleed into the mainstream.

Your link just leads to joystiq btw, not a specific page. Here's the stuff tagged with the game.

http://www.joystiq.com/tag/let-it-die

Fixed the link, thanks!  I don't have much experience with the older generation of roguelikes and their features, really have only played the current iterations, so that's interesting! 

That's a really interesting idea. Although if you take the Driveatar (or deathatar in this case) to it's logical conclusion, you'll be fighting a bunch of enemies who roll around a lot then fall off a cliff. Or at least that's what mine would do.

It's sort of like the "multiplayer" in A Link Between Worlds. Except I assume better.