Help me pick out a new mouse

CHOOSE ONE  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which mouse?

• Logitech G500s
    • Steelseries Sensei [RAW]
    • Trackball
    • Other (please specify)

Because it's a well-regarded mouse and I hadn't put my hand on it until I went to Best Buy last evening. Luckily they have the Logitech line on display, so I was able to make an informed choice on the sales floor.

You can do all the internet research in the world, but you might as well throw it out the window when you get to the store. I chose these two mice because they were on sale and both interested me. I have no desire to buy a Razer product (they seem so gimmicky to me) and I hate the way most gaming mice look, so I'm left with precious few options.

Totally reasonable, most "gaming" peripherals make me want to puke.  One of the reasons I like the G9x is it's rather subdued compared to a lot of gaming products.  Unfortunately it looks like Logitech has given up on that design.

Indeed, The G9(x) is by far the most comfortable shape Logitech has produced and I'm very surprised they've mostly gone back to the same shape seen in the OP (which has more or less been around for 10+ years now). Perhaps other Logitech mice are more suitable. Whatever the case, Logitech equals quality and that's why opinions invariably lean towards it. I haven't been impressed by the build quality by basically any other mouse in comparison — especially Microsoft ones.

I have no desire to buy a Razer product (they seem so gimmicky to me) and I hate the way most gaming mice look, so I'm left with precious few options.

I completely understand your sentiment here, but I have to say that I have a couple Razer products and so far I've found them to be of rather good quality.  They are a little gimmicky and maybe try too hard to cater to the "hardcore" gamer, but the bottom line is they're actually good products so maybe think twice before dismissing them out of hand.

Fair enough, you didn't really articulate that you tried out the Logitech models in the store and they didn't appeal to you.

I like the feel of the Sensei in my limited touching in stores, so you might find it to your liking. That said, the spartan nature of Steelseries's design tends to yield less features as compared to Logitech mice, which sometimes do end up being worthwhile. I've also heard that SteelSeries's drivers/software are not super great, but I have no personal experience with their mice. I do like their keyboards better than Logitech's, mostly because the extra features there are more superfluous for my purposes.

But if you're willing to go out of your comfort zone, I really do think the Razer Deathadder is the all-around best choice for a wired, reasonable mouse. The design is relatively understated for Razer and I've read extensive testing saying that it's one of the most technically proficient (optional cloud-based profile saving, optical sensor, low weight compared to similarly priced/classed mice, large and easy to press side buttons, ergonomic shape).

I bought the Razer Mamba because it's basically a Deathadder but wireless, and it's easily the best mouse I've ever used for an extended period of time.

I read this article a while ago, and it made me pretty sure that my next mouse will be the the Razer Deathadder.

I had a Razer headset that I did not like, but yes the Razer Deathadder definitely appeals to me. It has the right balance of functionally placed buttons and game-ergonomicality without being an ostentatious load of pretentiousness. I have never owned one but yes that seems like a good choice as well.

\

I'm pretty sure that my family owned the original Trackman Marble at one point:

3102JHY56FL.jpg

It's going to take me a while to get used to this mouse, but I think I'm gonna like it. I have learned that I do, in fact, actually need a mouse pad however.

God, this thing was fucking bullshit.

I read this article a while ago, and it made me pretty sure that my next mouse will be the the Razer Deathadder.

This is a wonderful, well-reasoned article and I'll admit it did a lot to almost get me to buy a Razer. In fact, I reread the whole article this evening on my phone while palming mice at Best Buy. In the end, however, I went with the Sensei Raw, and I'm confident I made the right choice.

The Rival is a great mouse, technically speaking. The software does lots of cool things, the mouse is more customizable than just about any other (from an aesthetic perspective), it has a killer sensor and the build itself feels fantastic. The problem's in the details, however, and I've got to say I absolutely loathe the ergonomics of the Rival. the ass of the mouse--for lack of a better term--is overly bulbous and tall, especially for a mouse of this length. The thumb buttons are hard to reach from a comfortable grip, and they offer too much resistance when clicking. I took the mouse to work today and even after 9 hours of Photoshopping, internet browsing and general use, I could not find a comfortable position on the mouse. Factor in the false advertising (the Steelseries software did not load per-program profiles as stated, the colored LEDs refused to reproduce anything resembling the color yellow) and the added cost, and I simply could not justify the purchase.

The Sensei Raw alleviates most of these problems (it only glows one color! it feels much better in my hands! It advertises less so it disappoints less! It's $15 cheaper!) so while I'll miss the rubberized side grips and the fancier options available in Steelengine 3, the Sensei Raw just feels so much better in my hand after an hour than the Rival did after 12. I'm sure some folk would lambast me for picking a laser mouse over an optical one, but you know the old adage--the hand wants what the hand wants.

At least, I think that's how it goes!