clyde

Double Fine's Amnesia Fortnight 2014

Wow, Mnemonic really worked for me. I'm really surprised. I mean, I knew it would look good from the episodes, but I loved the puzzling.

Little Pink Best Buds chat-system doesn't seem to work at all. I feel like I'm asking baby questions and getting no responses. The only time it seems to work is when I'm asked a yes or no question. I haven't found a single question or phrase that they are capable of responding to. I would think questions like "Who lives in the house?" would have had some sort of prepared statement. All I get is "The house is back." once and then nothing. For me, this prototype was largely about the open input. I can't even figure out any key-words. 

Edit:

I give up. If anyone can figure out how to get into the house, please put it in a spoiler-tag for me. 

As best as I can tell:

* talk to big leg, ask him to be best friends

* walk over to his patch of grass

* talk to him a bit, be friendly

* ask him to dance (probably other alternatives here)

* watch him tell off another pink best bud (small mouth maybe?)

* he'll say come up to the house

* go up to the door and click on it

Basically, focus on Big Leg and say yes, then whenever he stops talking say yes or no. If he asks if you want to dance touch him (you may need to move the finger in circles, that's what I did). At another point another bud comes up to you and asks if you want to be best buds with him instead. Turn to him and say no. Then big leg should go towards the house, at which point you should be able to enter it by touching. That's when the fun begins! :D One more thing: in case of danger, move backwards!

I have to say, Dear Leader turned out great. The only thing is

some of the decisions I made ended up getting mixed up in order. I ordered Generalissimo to be executed and then The Communiste assassinated, only to have a minister contact me to say we should then execute Generalissimo.

. Still, not bad for two weeks.

For anyone who's curious: I made

. Be warned, though: it's spoilerific!

Played mnenomic.... wow... this would have killed in the late 90s. I don't think it will be commercially viable these days.

Another interesting batch of prototypes from Double Fine.

Little Pink Best Buds

Certainly the most broken of the prototypes but still strangely funny and enjoyable. I haven't been able to finish it yet since the two times I tried I died shortly after the house exploded and didn't know what to do. In retrospect trying to get a chat system working in two weeks was way more than they could handle and it would have been better if they decided to settle on a more directed experience for the prototype. Also I feel like it should have been edited way down, I know they wanted to include as much of Penn's dialog as possible but there's just too much filler. I'm not sure I want to listen to Big Leg's rambling dialog again to see the real ending.

Steed

The first few moments when you pilot the game as a horse feel quite good and I still think the concept is very promising, but they never quite reach the charm of the initial pitch video. The prototype is definitely just standard 3rd person action beat-em-up with a horse as the protagonist. I would hope a full game draws more inspiration on mechanics that are better suited to a horse, I'm thinking of things like the boss fight in SotC where you need Agro. For example I wish there was a long distance charge attack. Also I wish it was possible to back up without turning around, that would make aiming the back kick easier.

Mneomic

Some of the art is quite beautiful in this game but I found the setting and story way too generic and the puzzles obtuse and frustrating. I had a hell of a time finding the hotspots for where to use certain items even though I knew where they should probably be used. A full game should either have more common sense puzzles or it should be way more obvious where you have to try things. I think it would be cool if they went forward with a noir black-and-white game, but I'd hope they would revamp a lot of things to make it stand out more.

Dear Leader

Definitely my favorite prototype, although this was also one that I put into a state where I couldn't proceed. However it feels almost as good as the Papers, Please prototype which is saying something for two weeks of work. I love the artwork and the way it creates an immersive narrative with super simple mechanics. It's perhaps even more on the nose than Papers, Please but this is still a type of game that I'd love to see more of.