Sign in to follow this  
DaveC

An old game I can't remember the name of - driving me NUTS

Please help!

I recently remembered this game I used to play in the 90s / early 2000s, but I can't remember the name of it. I MUST KNOW, for some reason! It's making my brain crazy.

STUFF I REMEMBER ABOUT IT:

Top down RPG type game. Graphical style was 2D sprites, almost claymation-y. Your character is a druid-type dude with a green shirt and bald head whose main ability was summoning various magical creatures. The campaign was a series of arena-like encounters with enemy dudes who had similar abilities as your druid dude. 

Your druid dude starts every map standing on a mana stone. It looked like a celtic stone circle (the whole game had a celtic fee, now that I remember). This mana stone regenerated your supply of mana, which you could use to summon creatures (unicorns, goat-men etc.)

The game usually involved you moving from mana stone to mana stone, trying to take more of them than your enemy summoner, usually leaving a garrison of summoned creatures at stone circles while you moved to take over more stone circles and dominate the map.

OTHER STUFF I REMEMBER:

I think throughout the campaign there was an arch-nemesis called ''Panopticon', or ''Pendragon'' or something.

I know what I'm describing here sounds like the most generic RPG ever but the game sticks in my mind still. It's just been so long ago that I cannot remember for the life of me what it's called. It's kind of unsearchable too because of the generic themes.

Anybody?

The only thing I can think of that doesn't really match your description is Mystic Towers. I really don't think it's the right game, but I never made it very far in the game (maybe like fifteen minutes before getting stuck!) and don't know all the details, so I figured I'd drop the name just in case.

mystic1.gif

Magic and Mayhem

It only sticks in my mind because it was created by Julian Gollop, creator of Xcom.

YES!! THANK YOU!

Ahem. 

Yes, that's the one. I was convinced its name was ''Might & Magic'', which makes no sense.

Interesting that it's a Julian Gollop game. I'm off to watch a playthrough. 

Twig, that's remarkably similar to the character I had in my head! I hope the game is as deep as I remember. 

Cheers again. 

I played a lot of that Magic & Mayhem game back in the day. It's closely liked with Nox in my mind as a couple of games that did magic well.

Magic & Mayhem is fantastic and I played it a lot. Super charmy and a lot of fun choosing your spell loadout.

Mystic Towers (!!!) I also played a lot on our old 386 computer. It was hard as balls. Maybe because I was a kid and didn't understand what the hell was going on.

Who would have guessed that looking for a retro game with a bald, green clothed druid would have multiple options?

Mystic Towers looks crazy familiar, but I can't honestly remember if I ever played it or not.

Wow, never played it, but it looks very Julian Gollop! I loved Chaos, and later Lords of Chaos, and the description by the OP made me think of these games.