Sign in to follow this  
JBRAA

Your best xbox game.

I don't know if this is the right forum for this. What's your best xbox game? I want to buy a new one, a real good one, a 9.something at gamespot, or better. Gamespot game Halo 9.7 and I agree with them. I've checked out high scored xbox games at gamespot, but I tend to spot their flaws sooner or later after have watched 5-6 movied on each game. Like Burnout 3 for example. It seemed really fast and good looking in the beginning, and seemed to be varying in gameplay, but after much closer look, it fell sort of flat. A game that wouldn't be fun for a long time, due to the repetitive gameplay. Then you could say that games like Halo and Splinter Cell1, are also repetitive, but I don't know what to answer to that.I guess they are not, or are, but I like em anyway. I don't know what makes a game fun, and fun to play still after many hours straight. I don't know. Anyway, write down your top 3 or 5 xbox games, and it would be interesting to read how you motivate why you think they are your top 5. My top 3 xbox games are Halo, Splinter Cell 1, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Now I guess I like simple games with good action on my xbox, but that can't be all.

Halo?! Halo is without a doubt one of the worst games I have ever played. It's linear, repetitive and dull. How this game managed to become so grossly overhyped I will never know. Anyway, this is about the best games. I'm quite partial to a spot of Project Gotham Racing, particularly if it's accompanied by music I've ripped to the hard drive. I quite liked Medal of Hono(u)r. Don't tell anybody, but I liked Buffy (the first one).

Have you played Beyond Good and Evil? If not, pick it up no questions asked. Surely one of the best and most underappreciated games of recent years. Also Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, which got a lot of critical acclaim but didn't actually sell very well. I'm also really enjoying Freedom Fighters for its rather unique tactical gameplay. None of those games are Xbox-exclusive, but neither are the ones you mentioned I guess.

Halo?! Halo is without a doubt one of the worst games I have ever played. It's linear, repetitive and dull.

"One of the worst games"? Either you haven't played many games, or you're just trying to be inflammitory. "Linear" and "repetitive" do not make a bad game, and "dull" is extremely subjective. And no matter what, I don't see how you could call Halo's multiplayer any of those things. The game became as popular as it is primarily due to its multiplayer, which is varied (a ludicrous amount of game types) and balanced. And really, really fun.

I just want to say that I think Halo is repetitive, but in a good way. That fun action moments are regenerated, over and and over, and then nice 'other' gameplay moments 'relieve' the action moments. And repetitive moments or sequences of action, are somehow regenerated in new ways that makes the moment not feel the same as the last one. And I guess that Halo had a very nice continuity through out the game, which is probably the reason I like it so much. With the continuity and regenerated action, the game becomes an action story game. Atleast I think so. I don't expect you to like Halo now or anything, dont worry. The 'flood-maps' or flood-levels, the three or four (or perhaps five) of them, lacked something, and the game was not beautiful anymore, and it was harder to recognize your self in the story, and for short weren't as good maps/levels as the other ones. I guess there only were 10 or something levels in Halo and 5 were half good. But, there were 5 amazingly enjoyable levels. It's all about taste also I guess. I like the theme of the game. Now lets forget the halo discussion if anyone don't wanna say something about it.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is pretty great on the Xbox. One plus over the PlayStation 2 version is your own custom music in there as 'tapes' (although the radio stations are great, of course, and deserve much listening to). It is quite an in-depth game if you are going to get into actually doing all the missions though, so perhaps doesn't fit your request for simple gaming. But, the great thing is that you have so much freedom - it's hard not to enjoy the game on some level, as you're not forced to do an annoying mission over and over. You can take a break and do drive-bys from a golf buggy or whatever. It's a adult game in its dialogue and themes though, so bear that in mind.

I enjoyed Indiana Jones And The Emperor's Tomb. I read somewhere that it was the perfect rental game, which I'd probably agree with (it doesn't take long to beat and you're unlikely to go back to it, at least not straight away). Basically it captures the action elements of the Indy movies in a great way, with fun beat-em-up gameplay. Like the old-skool Streets Of Rage if you're familiar with that - several different neat moves you can string together, to have fun bashing the bad guys around. It's very simple in level design and nothing groundbreaking, but is just fun whilst it lasts.

Nearly everyone here loves Beyond Good & Evil, I haven't actually played the Xbox version but I'm sure it rocks. Definitely get hold of that one (it's super-cheap these days too).

Either you haven't played many games, or you're just trying to be inflammitory.

I've played plenty of games, unfortunately that includes halo. I found it incredibly boring. Some of the levels were so similar that I'd thought I'd played them before. Ok, so maybe it isn't the worst game ever. But I don't think it's half as good as everybody makes it out to be.

I guess I want an action game, that is narrative, or somewhat gives a storytelling feel and you're in the story right now. A litte bit atleast. And it should probably be a story emerged into the action. Like, people tell me stuff, but not in a Zelda 2 fasion talking to folks in the town. I want the story little by little, in nice cinematic sense. I'm basically talking about the same thing as in the first 3-4 levels in Halo, or even GTA3. I've checked out Fable a bit, but however it seems like the Zelda 2 fasion of talkin to people, making me do the work. I guess I just want the action, and be the explorer in an amazing world, and I want the game to tell the story for me, and present it in an amazing way. However, does such a game excist? Well, perhaps many of them, I dont know. With this thread of "Your best xbox games" I mostly want to know what games you think are compelling enough so you can play for hours, and hours and not be bored with. That's what I want to know. (I might give Fable second, chance. I'll check out some more videos)

Lemme begin by saying that halo is a decent game, but grossly overrated. Repetitive ness I usually stand, but when the rooms are the same over and over again, with everything in the exact same place, then it really passes mildly annoying to completely frustrating, they do that over and over again, so a 5 minute level becomes a 30 minute level. Then there's the flood. Supposed to be scary but they end up being just annoying.

The best game exclusive to XBOX I have is probably Chronicles of Riddick or crimson skies.

Three words:

Silent Hill 2.

Okay, that was two words and a number, but Mr. T sez it's all right.

:mrt:- It's all right.

I guess I want an action game, that is narrative, or somewhat gives a storytelling feel and you're in the story right now. A litte bit atleast. And it should probably be a story emerged into the action.

A decent handful of words: Chris, as cool as Halo multiplayer is, I don't really see how it's relevant to the thread?

It's relevant to the better-than-you Halo bashers. :shifty: Ok, I'm done. Sorry.

Two words: Halo multiplayer

3: Halo multiplayer co-op. Blasting your buddies can be really fun, but there's nothing I enjoy more than the strategy involved in co-op. I have so many fond memories of that last (big) battle on Two Betrayals on Legendary. Good, good times.

Another one that I kind of like is Breakdown. It always kicks my ass, but it's still a great game. Oh, and Metal Arms: Glitch in the System is also a ridiculously fun game.

3: Halo multiplayer co-op. Blasting your buddies can be really fun, but there's nothing I enjoy more than the strategy involved in co-op. I have so many fond memories of that last (big) battle on Two Betrayals on Legendary. Good, good times.

Yes, Halo co-op is boatloads of fun. Really adds a ton of value to the campaign mode.

...I'm glad Psychonauts is coming out on PC.

I heard Psychonauts exists? I heard the guy who made Grim Fandango is making it? It's his newest game or something? I wonder if anyone is excited about Psychonauts? ¬

:D

I heard Psychonauts exists? I heard the guy who made Grim Fandango is making it? It's his newest game or something? I wonder if anyone is excited about Psychonauts?

Grim Fandango? I think I've heard of that game somewhere before..

(On Topic: Halo, Crimson Skies, Splinter Cell, etc.)

Soul Calibur 2

You can play Soul Calibur 2 for hours? How do they change the gameplay so it doesnt become repetitive. I like fightinggames, but they last for 30minutes to 2 hours of play. And after a month you really can't get more out of the game in singleplayer mode, ever. (I get so sick of the game by then) I'm not saying I pick up Splinter Cell and replay it all over, but I can play it for hours without getting tired of the gameplay all. If Soul Calibur 2 is fun, and somehow is also made for lasting gameplay enjoyment, please motivate how.

I was going to say Halo, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. Multiplayer, preferably co-op, makes it one of the best games I have ever played. I'm just so amazed that it's just as incredibly fun to pick up and play, all the time, any time, ever.

But, then someone mentioned Silent Hill 2, and since that may just be the best game ever created, I might have to go with that one. Tough call though.

(Btw, I expect Burnout 3 to be awesome. I've played the second game with my friends for an insane amount of hours.)