Zeusthecat

The Big LucasArts Playthrough

I have my PC copy of Escape from Monkey Island sitting in front of me, unsure of how I would install it on my MacBook.  Residual's official release doesn't yet support it and there's no wrapper on PortingTeam that's still active.  I guess I could try creating my own Wineskin, but I haven't had much luck doing that for 3D games.

If the PS2 version doesn't work out, Zeus, let me know and I'll figure some way to get you the PC version.

The PC version of EMI is the way to go.  It's better in every way to the PS2 version except for the controls (assuming you've got no gamepad) and cutscene compression, and if you were fine with Grim's controls, EMI's is exactly the same.  Just drop a few bucks on a used copy.

Once you've scored a copy, install it with this, and run it with this.

How is the PC version better? Less compression on audio and video all around is nice since it's now on a DVD-rom and they have lightly added some more indiscernible polys here and there as well as a concept art gallery. Monkey Kombat is way less tedious as well. All of that stuff is a bonus and everything else is the same on PS2, plus it controls better. I don't understand.

Mojo's comparison of the two (which incidentally Udvarnoky wrote) covers the differences pretty well. It does seem to me that the PC version is the way to go: no iMuse is a glaring omission for a genre where music plays such a prominent role, and the loading times and lower frame rate would soon grow old. The PS2 does have advantages though, so I don't think that either can be described as better in every way — you just have to decide what matters most.

Where things become less clear is when emulation is a factor. If a PS2 emulator now exists that can improve the frame rate, loading times, and maybe even the resolution that would be a very interesting thing to consider.

Ah okay. It's funny, that list is actually what made me want to get the PS2 version, since it seems to list a lot of pros and then in the final paragraph discards them all. Seems to me all of the listed advantages make for a much better game.

I don't think I noticed much choppiness nor did the load times stick out, but I suppose I'm so used to games loading these days even on systems with a hard drive that I don't care anymore. I'm also not sure I've ever noticed iMuse with any of the digital LucasArts soundtracks, but that's just me (although I can definitely see what a mess the Special Editions are with their handling of it). But hey there are apparently unimportant extra lines of dialogue! I also preferred the Giant Monkey head to be brown again even if it was still an ugly monochromatic 3D model. They didn't really do well emulating Steve Purcell's artwork/background.

IOh well, guess I'll have to agree to disagree on this one since I'm not convinced the PC version is the better version.

Also on their completely false claims of 9x the added polygons, someone did rip the model of Guybrush from PS2 on the mixnmojo forums at some point and compared it to the PC one. He had 4-5 extra polys around each his sleeve ends where the edges weren't made so sharp. It's such a minor detail that would in no way be noticeable on a 640x480 game. I'm still somewhat curious how the other character models compared even if just to see how silly the differences were.

I think the obnoxious load times (you know how often you leave a location?) and inability to overlap audio (which means little to no iMUSE and even ruined gags) are dealbreakers.  Like you point out, the game is presented at such an unfortunate resolution regardless of platform that the reduced jaggies on the PS2 version is a pointlessly marginal benefit.  I think ultimately the PC version looks (cutscenes aside) and plays better with any halfway modern anti-aliasing capacity applied.  It certainly runs much, much smoother than the choppy console version with the full install.  It's literally the difference between no wait between environment swaps and several seconds.  It's not insignificant.

The only real advantage of the PS2 version is the less severe compression on the audio and FMVs.  The Monkey Combat chart is convenient but unnecessary, and there's a really good one online anyway.  A gamepad unquestionably works great for the game (and you can still plug one in), but the keyboard controls are fine.

Also, you never noticed iMUSE at work in The Curse of Monkey Island?  The Barbary Coast and the Goodsoup Hotel are standout examples.  You're right that once the soundtracks went digital, its use was dramatically lessened (although Julian Kwasneski, I think it was, pretty much asserted that there was nothing except nerve limiting the ability to do stuff as crazy as Monkey Island 2 with digital tracks).  It's not like EMI packs all kinds of wonderful examples of nuanced iMUSE awesomeness (my go-to example is rowing to Knuttin Atoll on the Jambalaya Island overhead map), but at the very least the lack of music segues of any sort kind of blows.  Point being, I think even presentation-wise the PC version defeats the PS2 handily despite its own faults. 

Both EMI and Grim deserve way more breathing room, that's for sure.  I'm still waiting for somebody with access to the right resources to break us off decent versions of the Grim cutscenes.  It's also too bad that the spigot for illicit EMI cutscene music got closed off after Bajakian gave us that one (and certainly best) piece from the game's giant cutscene toward the end.

I haven't played The Curse of Monkey Island in over a decade, so possibly I would have an ear for it these days since I know it is supposed to be there. I have always noticed it in Monkey 2 however. Maybe one day I'll revisit it.

This is out of the DF documentary stuff that's now going public, but apparently Steven Spielburg once called up Tim Schafer to get a hint on how to get through Day of the Tentacle.  Which is the best hint line ever. 

Didn't he call multiple times for hints? I don't think that's a secret from the DF documentary, since it's pretty well documented he was playing most if not all of the LucasArts adventures.

He might have gotten mad and not played Grim Fandango because The Dig came out and was somewhat mediocre or not his original vision.

Ron Gilbert's told the same story. In his version, he goes on to explain how irritating it got to be Spielburg's personal hintline and how they started passing it around to the new guys who were still excited to be talking to the real Stephen Spielburg.

Guys, if you're going to keep spelling his name wrong, at least spell it "Spielrock".

I had never heard that story before, didn't realize it was one that's been floating around. 

I ordered Escape From Monkey Island last night. So hopefully I'll be starting later this week or early next week.

So is that going to be your last hurrah?  I know the thread is The Big Lucasarts Playthrough but there are other adventure games out there too.  Most of them won't be nearly as good as the highs you've already hit, but there's still lots of great games out there.

I'm guessing you already answered this, but are you playing the PC or PS2 version of Escape?

I just want to mention, if you're doing the PC version... do lots of saves. I've never had as many problems trying to finish a game as I did with Escape. I had to play it 4 times because I hit bugs that prevented me from being able to finish the game. Most often were being unable to click on an item at all, or in two cases being unable to move Guybrush. It wasn't a bad game, I actually quite enjoyed it, but being a dumb kid who only made one save file and never learned his lesson and then hit a point where I absolutely could not continue... I just got really sick of it by the time I finished it.

So, you know... be careful. That is all.

Per the original intent of this thread, Escape From Monkey Island will be my last hurrah. I might run through Fate Of Atlantis again to try the different paths and I'll post about it here if I do but I would prefer to keep this thread exclusive to the LucasArts games at this point.

This has been an amazing experience though, being able to share this with everyone else here. I feel very fortunate that you guys have been so receptive to this and despite being able to experience some amazing games, I'm kind of sad that I've nearly reached the end and that this experience will be ending soon. If you guys have any more good recommendations for games that you wouldn't mind me playing and posting about, I would be more than happy to continue sharing my thoughts in another thread as I go through.

I would recommend following up the LEC catalog with choice releases from some of the companies that vets of the classic adventures went on to form.  Check out Psychonauts and Broken Age from Double Fine, Sam & Max and Monkey Island from Telltale, and probably the two adventures that Autumn Moon has put out. 

The only one of those that isn't strictly a graphic adventure is Psychonauts - it's more like what would happen if you cross-pollinated a Tim Schafer graphic adventure with Mario and Zelda.  It's fairly required playing, though, and we'd hate to have to kill you, etc.

We're also qualified to recommend you the non-adventure highlights of the LEC back catalog, if you're ever interesting in delving into that.

I actually already have Psychonauts on Steam so I'll definitely be checking that out soon after I finish Escape. I also still need to play through The Walking Dead episodes (purchased on Steam but haven't played any yet) and I'm planning to go through several of Telltale's other games afterwards.

As far as other LEC games go, I already know I need to play TIE Fighter and X Wing but beyond that I'm not really sure what is a must play. So I'm definitely open to recommendations.

As far as other LEC games go, I already know I need to play TIE Fighter and X Wing but beyond that I'm not really sure what is a must play. So I'm definitely open to recommendations.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol!

I tried playing these SNES games a few months ago and got slaughtered by a giant baby.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors and Ghoul Patrol!

I tried playing these SNES games a few months ago and got slaughtered by a giant baby.

I remember playing ZAMN in co-op with my brother, and it being one of the best co-op games I had played at the point (I was a kid, no clue if this is true).  I also remember it being really batshit insane. 

I'd vote for Psychonauts being one of the next ones, would love to see your reactions to that.

I just got my copy of Escape From Monkey Island (for PC) in the mail and to my surprise, even though it was marked as 'used' on Amazon, the one I got was a brand new shrink wrapped copy of the game with all inserts in the case and completely immaculate discs. As someone who has spent years scouring pawn shops and building up my video game collection, I am super stoked that I managed to get a copy of a 14 year old game that is still in mint condition for such a cheap price ($9 total with shipping and handling).

Assuming the links Udvarnoky provided give me everything I need to get this game running, I plan to start either today or tomorrow.

Mac Gaming is hard!

Installing this game through Wineskin went fine, but resulted in horrible strobing effects.  I discovered that fullscreen seems to be the culprit and I will have to play this game in a window

I've never installed a CD crack before and I guess technically I still haven't, since I had to open up REGEDIT.EXE inside my Wineskin and make the changes manually to avoid hitting the D:\ drive I don't feel like plugging in every time I play.

But now all that's done and I get to enjoy some timeless Monkey Island humor:

post-8337-0-90283300-1400438382_thumb.jpg

The PC version of EMI is the way to go.  It's better in every way to the PS2 version except for the controls (assuming you've got no gamepad) and cutscene compression, and if you were fine with Grim's controls, EMI's is exactly the same.  Just drop a few bucks on a used copy.

Once you've scored a copy, install it with this, and run it with this.

I got everything installed and set up. Using the updated launcher, which resolution do you recommend if my native resolution is 1920X1080? Would 1280X1024 be the best bet or should I just stick with the default?