Sign in to follow this  
Erkki

Damn ATI and their drivers.

So I downloaded the new Catalyst Control Center. They've messed up the color settings AGAIN. They work, but there's a few of bugs making the settings revert to defaults in certains situations. And they've totally screwed up the shortcut keys. Previously, you could assign any key you want, but now only the letter keys work (and only the standard latin ones). And besides, they don't work in games any more. Those shortcut keys were my only option of running most games with normal brightness.

Now there are profiles you can create for each game, but THEY DON'T WORK EITHER (seem to work somewhat, but not completely). The only way I can run Doom 3 now so that I can see something when the flashlight is ON is by making a separate profile for it, activating a profile, and then QUICKLY tap the brightness shortcut key during the first loading screen (that's where it works).

I wonder when I'll learn never to update graphics drivers unless I have a big problem. What made me do it this time was curiosity for the new "Control Center" and ca 10% performance increase for Doom 3 (said so in the release not).

Sorry for ranting, had to get it out of me.

I downloaded the new Radeon drivers to see if it would fix my problem of the text not working in Beyond Good & Evil. It didn't. Boo ATI!

ATI supposedly doesn't do well with OpenGL. Blender3d (OpenGL powered) once would crash when used with ATI cards until ATI kindly sent 10 free cards to troubleshooting developers and the problem was (presumably) solved.

It doesn't do well with Linux either - http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/petition.html

edit - but looks like they updated, so nevermind. - edit

nVidia cards are supposedly slower and inferior, but fortunately for me they tend to work more often because of better drivers - or so I hear. I haven't actually tried an ATI card yet.

ive had 4 video cards in total ...

- an nVidia RivaTNT

- an ATI Radeon 7000

- an nVidia GeForce FX 5200

- and an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Go

so far, the only one thats given me trouble is the bloody radeon. yes, its an old card, but ive gotten terrible graphical glitches in many old games, new games, all types of games! they may make fast cards, but they're really not that reliable. which is why i stick to nvidia.

SiN

so far, the only one thats given me trouble is the bloody radeon. yes, its an old card, but ive gotten terrible graphical glitches in many old games, new games, all types of games! they may make fast cards, but they're really not that reliable. which is why i stick to nvidia.

I've been using the 9800 pro for quite some time now and I haven't had any problems at all with it at all... Their cards aren't unreliable, and the drivers have been improved quite a bit since the 7000 was brand new (and even back then I didn't have many problems... well, at least that's my experience). The "bad drivers" tag they got was given to them back when their Rage cards was new, so I don't really think it's representative for them now.

Here's my video card history

- Computer came with S3 Savage 4 (horrible, horrible card!)

- Wanted a GeForce 256, but couldn't afford it

- Bought a Radeon (now called Radeon 7000) instead of the GeForce2

- Bought a Radeon 9800 Pro, which I've been very happy with so far

- Waiting for the next generation of cards to come out, so I can decide what to purchase next :innocent:

:mrt:

nVidia cards are supposedly slower and inferior, but fortunately for me they tend to work more often because of better drivers - or so I hear. I haven't actually tried an ATI card yet.

Ha! You don't even notice the so called 'inferiority' with the naked eye. The differences are very minimal.

--Erwin

Decided to get rid of the "control center" finally and downloaded the new (4.9) version with the old control panel (how fucking often do they release these things?). Seems to be ok now.

Hmm... actually it's not ok. The hotkeys at least work now, but the brightness is still reset to default (gamma=1) when exiting from a game to desktop.

ATI, please make up your minds! You fix things in one version, then break them a few versions later.

ATi are pretty good for their drivers, they even made some 64-bit drivers for XP x64 and Linux, which is more than most manufacturers do.

Very tweakable too.

ATI isn't just "pretty good" with their drivers. The drivers are so great, I can't even understand one line of their code.

ATI isn't just "pretty good" with their drivers. The drivers are so great, I can't even understand one line of their code.
Only one line?