Jake

Idle Thumbs 105: XCOM Obama

Hey, did you guys ever play more Risk Legacy? The packet we just opened in my campaign was insane. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the game.

Hey, did you guys ever play more Risk Legacy? The packet we just opened in my campaign was insane. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on the game.

No, despite my best nagging.

No, despite my best nagging.

My Risk: Legacy game blew out too, mostly because several of the players had already played enough Risk to last a lifetime and weren't swayed enough by the changes. Was that the case with your group, or was it just "busy gamer" syndrome?

I think it's more because I'm the only one in the group not actively founding a company and/or working feverishly on a video game :)

That's lame. They're lame. Risk Legacy is, bar none, the most exciting board game I've ever played and I've played a he k of a lot of them. Anybody who's interested in games or game design is doing themselves a disservice by not playing it.

Hey, I'm popping this thread up a little to ask about Risk Legacy. Namely how long it takes to complete a round of it, because I'm considering buying it to take to my family's Christmas get-together to play with my brothers. Also, how accessible is it?

I think the time we played it was a couple of hours. But there was a lot of distraction in there.

Also, what do you mean by accessible? If you mean to new players, then it's pretty simple, especially if you've played standard Risk before. It deviates from that more as you go on, but at the start it's pretty standard.

Ah yeah, they've definitely played Risk before so if that's a good barrier of entry (? for a boardgame, why am I asking that) then it should fly as entertaining.

It's a good gateway. The game definitely gets more ridiculous, as you start ruining countries and creating new cities and stuff, but initially it's pretty close to vanilla Risk.

Hey, I'm popping this thread up a little to ask about Risk Legacy. Namely how long it takes to complete a round of it, because I'm considering buying it to take to my family's Christmas get-together to play with my brothers. Also, how accessible is it?

Your first couple of games could very well be under an hour each. I would definitely be surprised if it were to take more than an hour and a half to play a game before at least a couple of the packets are opened.

The game is quite accessible, especially if you've already played Risk before. It also has a kind of tutorialization built in to the design, so new game elements get layered on in an easily digestible way. One thing I would be wary of is rules mistakes: for obvious reasons, certain misunderstandings can be tough to take back, so I would try to have a crystal clear understanding of the rules before proceeding.

That in mind, it's an awesome game and a worthwhile purchase. I'm jealous that you're going to be experiencing it for the first time!