melmer

Destiny

Well that was fun! I think that might be one of the better raids. We still have the very last boss but I think we can get him next week.

So I bought the new complete edition of Destiny last week for PS4, which contains all the content released up until this point. I’m having a nice time with it so far. My only previous experience of the game was playing the demo in the pre-Taken King days, which I think included all the earth missions up until you align the arrays, but no strikes or PvP stuff at all. So I started from scratch and did all that stuff again to see what had changed; not a great deal as far as I could tell? I never had strong feelings about Peter Dinklage’s voiceover, but at least Nolan North sounds pleased to be there. If anything I think it might be a bit easier now. I remember dying a good few times the first time I did those missions, whereas this time I don’t think I died at all until I was at least level 8 or 9. 

I’m still not sure that the game does a great job of leading totally new players into the world. Wandering around the tower now — an idiot baby who knows nothing of the world — I feel like most of what’s on offer is aimed at people who have arrived at the level cap, which is fine of course, but I’m left conflicted as to whether I should be working through the story missions as they are presented, or just plugging away at patrols, strikes and crucible to level up ASAP. (And if I’m over the suggested level for strikes or story missions, is it still worth doing them? As I understand there’s some measure of scaling, but again, it’s hard as a newbie to see how that all works.)

Anyway the important thing is that the shooting is very good and the overall presentation is immaculate. I do appreciate the sheer potential for strange things in this world, too. I like that there’s weird creatures dotted throughout the world that are way too high above my level at the moment. I like that sometimes a spaceship will fall from the sky and disgorge a bunch of horrifying creatures. I like the hard sf vibe and the environmental art, even if the plot still feels like an irrelevance at this stage. I was told the story was to be found in the Grimoire cards but I have looked at those cards and…that’s a lot of lore, man...a lot of lore...

Wrath of the Machine was really awesome. I can't wait to go back next week and finish off Aksis! It was so much fun to figure all that stuff out, I feel like we did a really good job of putting it together. I'm working on gearing up now so I'll be a bit less hobbled by my level next time.

So I bought the new complete edition of Destiny last week for PS4, which contains all the content released up until this point. I’m having a nice time with it so far. My only previous experience of the game was playing the demo in the pre-Taken King days, which I think included all the earth missions up until you align the arrays, but no strikes or PvP stuff at all. So I started from scratch and did all that stuff again to see what had changed; not a great deal as far as I could tell? I never had strong feelings about Peter Dinklage’s voiceover, but at least Nolan North sounds pleased to be there. If anything I think it might be a bit easier now. I remember dying a good few times the first time I did those missions, whereas this time I don’t think I died at all until I was at least level 8 or 9. 

I’m still not sure that the game does a great job of leading totally new players into the world. Wandering around the tower now — an idiot baby who knows nothing of the world — I feel like most of what’s on offer is aimed at people who have arrived at the level cap, which is fine of course, but I’m left conflicted as to whether I should be working through the story missions as they are presented, or just plugging away at patrols, strikes and crucible to level up ASAP. (And if I’m over the suggested level for strikes or story missions, is it still worth doing them? As I understand there’s some measure of scaling, but again, it’s hard as a newbie to see how that all works.)

Anyway the important thing is that the shooting is very good and the overall presentation is immaculate. I do appreciate the sheer potential for strange things in this world, too. I like that there’s weird creatures dotted throughout the world that are way too high above my level at the moment. I like that sometimes a spaceship will fall from the sky and disgorge a bunch of horrifying creatures. I like the hard sf vibe and the environmental art, even if the plot still feels like an irrelevance at this stage. I was told the story was to be found in the Grimoire cards but I have looked at those cards and…that’s a lot of lore, man...a lot of lore...

You won't find much has changed in the old content, except that the quest system points you towards your next mission and gives you some more rewards along the way. The real difference comes when you get to the expansion content and see how their mission design and storytelling improved.

Feel free to jump into strikes or crucible matches if the mood strikes you (lower level enemies are no different from enemies at the same level as you), but you should just keep going through the story missions as they unlock. If you want to get to the endgame stuff there are areas that won't be available unless you've done the relevant story missions.

I'm hoping to get my warlock up to snuff before next week. The tether is nice but we had three of them and we could use another shock warlock.

EDIT: And not only is my Warlock ready I got a hand cannon that fires harder then a crossbow and a pulse rifle that is supposedly one of the best in the game. o_O-b

Yeah the new raid was a lot of fun. Nothing we came across was impossible to puzzle out or frustrating to execute. I loved our transitions from "there's no way we can pull this off" to "we can definitely pull this off...just one more try!"

I can only do Sunday next weekend. A similar time will probably work. I'll probably read up on strats for the stages up to where we got...still want to try and work out that final phase if we can though.

@marginalgloss: Vasari's got it right. Just play through the story content as it opens up. The way the scaling works means it shouldn't be a total cakewalk for you even when you're overlevelled. And aside from Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris, PvP ignores levels so jump into that whenever you're feeling up for it. I'd also say remember to grab the various bounties you think you'll manage to do since the XP is helpful in levelling up your various subclasses. And you're right that not a lot is explained in game (plus a lot has changed over the past two years) so if you have questions, feel free to ask them!

Yeah, the raid was a blast. Thanks everyone for setting aside your Saturday for it.

This coming weekend will be tricky for me. Sunday is better, but I couldn't start until like 3 p.m. ET (7 p.m. GMT). I doubt we'll need as much time as we did this past weekend, but that would still be a pretty late start. If a group can get organized around an earlier time, go on without me.

I can do saturday or sunday, but if it's sunday I won't be able to stay as long since I'll have work on monday.

Just a heads up, we're about to get hit by an apparently pretty severe storm over the weekend. I'm hopeful that I'll be fine, but that may impact my ability to play on Sunday.

Okay we have

• Me
  • Vasari
  • J.C.

So we just need three more. Will Moogle be able to make it vasari?

I'll ask, but I suspect not. He's pretty busy right now, he probably won't have a free weekend for a while.

Well we'll just move it up to next week on Saturday then. I'll still hop on around noon my time to try and dig people up for the nightfall though.

I'm not available Sunday until the afternoon (ET), probably around 3. Someone else can take my slot if you all don't want to start that late.

I'm ~367 with all three of my characters now, and I have a bunch of stuff stashed in the vault waiting for the WotM HM update later today. Will be interesting to see how much higher we all can get by the weekend.