melmer

Destiny

Just added my times. I have a ton of stuff I want need to do this weekend, including PoE, ToO, Weekly, and Nightfall so please don't hesitate to contact me if I'm on PSN and you're available for any of this.

I am usually on sun through thurs 10:30pm to midnight pacific and am game for anything non pvp. If you see me during those times and I am not already fireteamed with anybody feel free to just hop in.

Wait, wait, wait...

The new mode is a PvP thing? For some reason I thought it was a horde mode, no idea why. 

Urgh! I suck at Destiny PvP.

Prison of Elders is PVE horde and Trials of Osiris is PVP. Both can bag you LL42 armor, so it's best to do both if you can bear it. Also, you should be running the daily Crucible at least once a day for Passage Coins which can artificially boost your Trials of Osiris numbers to give you better rewards.

I've not even logged in to Destiny since the patch. 

I'll have to try some this weekend when I'm not playing the Witcher or Metroid. 

Are the new modes fun?

I've only run the Prison of Elders once (PvE mode) and only on the lowest difficulty, but it was pretty fun. Trials of Osiris is starting today and runs to the reset on Tuesday. It sounds like an interesting mode even if I'm not a great PvP player. This wiki page describes it pretty well.

Should we try to do a Vault of Glass run Saturday? On the calendar there's 4 of us available then (me, Vasari, JonCole, Zeus). Are there two more that would be interested? Zeus shows his availability starting at 2pm (is that eastern time?), which I would be fine with. I also definitely want to get through the lvl32 PoE and give the Trials a shot.

2pm eastern I might be able to make... depending on social obligations and as long as it doesn't overlap with the Splatoon test fire.

I'll check later.

Something I've been thinking about since HoW came out - is VoG really worth doing? I've only done it a few times myself so I don't have much of the gear and such from it, but it seems like the immediate benefits of PoE, ToO and the Nightfall are way more efficient with time and effort than the raid. Also, are we talking about the level 30 VoG? I think there's even less reason to do the normal mode version but it might be necessary if people haven't gotten any post HoW gear to level quickly.

Granted, I'd still be willing to run VoG if only for shards/energy so I can farm motes of light + general fun factor, just wondered if I was the only one with some reservations.

The main reason it would be worth doing now is the guns. Fatebringer is top-tier for PvE even at 300 dmg and once it's ascended will be insane. Vision of Confluence (solar damage full-auto scout rifle) is also excellent. There's also the Mythoclast (great for PvP) and a few others that are pretty good. Having primary weapons with arc/solar/void dmg is a huge bonus for the nightfalls. And I guess if you like any of the armor you can hold onto it and ascend it at some point? But yeah you're right...at this point my main motivation would be the fun factor.

I figured the difficultly would depend on everyone's level. Plus if anyone hasn't run it before it might be better to do normal just to make things less stressful.

Doesn't the Fatebringer (and maybe some of the others?) only drop on Hard Mode? I could be mistaken in this. I would definitely want that stuff, but my collection of weapons is so threadbare right now that practically any legendaries or exotics are benefiting me quite a bit let alone some of the better/best ones in their particular class.

As someone who jumped back in today after a huge lapse, I noticed that by far the best way to immediately bump your light level and overall just Get Back In is just buying vendor gear. I went from 27 to 30 with two purchases, and one of the new HoW guns was sitting in my Gift Box and outclassed my Vanilla The Last Word immediately, without upgrades (this stung a bit).

I'm chewing through The Dark Below quests right now and it seems to me like HoW was designed as the perfect expansion to jump back in with. Once I'm caught up with all the Single Player-ish bits, I'd be game for some Thumbs Runs.

If you have the strange coins for it, grab a couple exotic shards and you'll bring that TLW up to speed in no time. If you have any exotic armor pieces, upgrading them with shards is also a good way to level really fast. Each shard is 7 coins from Xur, or you get one for every exotic you dismantle. I actually picked up the bounty for Super Good Advice but I already had one, so I went ahead and broke down my old gun for the shard.

The weapons only drop on hard mode raids. Mainly the loot value from VoG right now is the checkpoints and chests that can drop exotics, and the armour set if you want to ascend it. Mostly though it's just one of the most fun parts of the game and it'd be cool to get people in who have never had a chance to play it. The hard mode takes alot of coordination that wouldn't be appropriate for people on their first run. I'd be happy to play on Saturday. I know Horza has been playing Destiny so I'll ask him if I see him on IRC. If it comes to it we could get one or two people from DestinyLFG to fill out the group, or just go in with five.

I also have a friend who might be able to join us. If he can, that makes 5 going off of what's on the calendar.

VoG is actually weird in that a few of the primaries actually drop in normal mode (Crota they are hard mode only). According to the wiki, Atheon's Epilogue (admittedly kinda shit, but it's void so better than nothing) and Vision of Confluence both drop on normal. Mythoclast and Fatebringer are hard mode only.

The Last Word is the coolest gun. It's really good in PvP since it's full auto and you can drop people super fast. And even if its stats were shit, it has that sick twirling animation that makes it the best.

By the way, Trials of Osiris has just started and I want to give it a shot. Any other hardcore PVPers want to team up? I'm level 33 using Gunslinger spec and Thorn as my primary.

Also worth mentioning, I'm still only level 29 (almost 30) and my friend is at 28. So I think for now I can probably only handle VoG. Crota requires at least level 30 right?

You can get by at 29 with a good group, but at that level anything with a sword will one-shot you. Since the DLC came out, the Vanguard/Crucible gear you can buy with marks has 36 light by default, so if you're rank 2 with either faction you could probably pick up something that'd push you to level 30. You can also ascend an exotic piece of gear with an exotic shard to give you 42 light.

By the way, Trials of Osiris has just started and I want to give it a shot. Any other hardcore PVPers want to team up? I'm level 33 using Gunslinger spec and Thorn as my primary.

I should be home in 1.5 hours or so, I'd be happy to ToO with you. I don't know if I'm hardcore, but I have a Striker specced Titan at L32 and my KDR is like 1.54.

Also, to Zeus - if No Backup Plans holds any interest to you, we could probably run the level 30 Strike prior to the raid for strange coins if that'd be enough to bag you that exotic from Xur. It's not a particularly great one for end-game content, but could work for a Strength-Defender build. Also also, if you have any leftover ascendant materials/strange coins you can trade them to Speaker/Xur for Motes of Light and risk an Exotic Helmet Engram from Xur.

I should be home in 1.5 hours or so, I'd be happy to ToO with you. I don't know if I'm hardcore, but I have a Striker specced Titan at L32 and my KDR is like 1.54.

Also, to Zeus - if No Backup Plans holds any interest to you, we could probably run the level 30 Strike prior to the raid for strange coins if that'd be enough to bag you that exotic from Xur. It's not a particularly great one for end-game content, but could work for a Strength-Defender build. Also also, if you have any leftover ascendant materials/strange coins you can trade them to Speaker/Xur for Motes of Light and risk an Exotic Helmet Engram from Xur.

Unfortunately I already have my one exotic in that slot. I think I only have 1 strange coin right now too so pretty sure it would be a couple weeks before I would end up with enough to grab another exotic from Xur. Regardless though, I would definitely like to run the level 30 strike since I constantly need just about every other material that it would end up rewarding. I am also still a ways off from having enough Motes of Light to get another exotic helmet engram but that is the one piece of armor I have that is still blue so I would really love to get one for that slot. On my last attempt at the exotic engram, it ended up decrypting into a Warlock helm which was useless for my Titan.

I'll get on as early as I can today but it likely won't be until after I get the kids to bed. If I see you on I'll definitely give you a heads up. I'm also still trying to wrap up The Dark Below quests and the one I'm on right now involves running the Strike that is part of that DLC. So I'm hoping to hit that up at some point too.

Unfortunately I already have my one exotic in that slot. I think I only have 1 strange coin right now too so pretty sure it would be a couple weeks before I would end up with enough to grab another exotic from Xur. Regardless though, I would definitely like to run the level 30 strike since I constantly need just about every other material that it would end up rewarding. I am also still a ways off from having enough Motes of Light to get another exotic helmet engram but that is the one piece of armor I have that is still blue so I would really love to get one for that slot. On my last attempt at the exotic engram, it ended up decrypting into a Warlock helm which was useless for my Titan.

I'll get on as early as I can today but it likely won't be until after I get the kids to bed. If I see you on I'll definitely give you a heads up. I'm also still trying to wrap up The Dark Below quests and the one I'm on right now involves running the Strike that is part of that DLC. So I'm hoping to hit that up at some point too.

Oh, I thought you still didn't have an exotic. Ignore what I was saying! I went on Bungie.net to actually look at your gear, your exotic is way better than the one on offer so no worries there. I'd run the Weekly Strike, then use the coins you get to get an Exotic Shard and ascend your Ruin Wings. That'd get you a quick 6 light (34->40) and probably a level. Then you'd want to upgrade your helmet or your chest piece (chest piece would get you less light, but would be cheaper in terms of marks).

In other news I hit level 34! Got extremely lucky with my Trials of Osiris run with Vasari, got 9 wins so I got all the possible loot (minus the loot chest you apparently get if you get 9 wins/0 losses). Managed to really luck out and get two Etheric Light, as well as the chest piece you get if you get at least 5 wins. I'm SO STOKED.

Trials of Osiris is really intense, it was great fun. I wish I hadn't wasted my coins or I would've had 9 wins as well. Still, that's a really awesome mode. I'm looking forward to doing more of it sometime.

So my friend can't make it tomorrow after all. So I guess we need 2 more people if we're gonna do this. I'll plan to be on by the time I posted regardless so if anyone's on, feel free to join or send me an invite.

So my friend can't make it tomorrow after all. So I guess we need 2 more people if we're gonna do this. I'll plan to be on by the time I posted regardless so if anyone's on, feel free to join or send me an invite.

That's 11AM pacific/7PM GMT, right? We can easily find two people on DestinyLFG to fill out the group. It shouldn't take us more than two hours to go through Vault of Glass.

Yep, I'll be on at that time. Anything I need to do to prep for it? This will be my first raid.