toblix

Awful Day-Ruining Bugs

Just make a favourites folder and drag shit into it, sheesh.

I have Pinboard for things I want to read later. My tabs are exclusively for things I intend to read today. INBOX ZERO

The thing is I want things constantly thrown in my face to remind me they exist instead of just occasionally browsing through a list/bookmarks of things to see if any of them are things that I forgot existed.

I am always torn between knowing I will forget about a thing if I'm not constantly reminded and my desire to clear that little icon telling me I have new emails.  Usually the icon clearing wins out and I forget to do everything until the next icon pops up.

The thing is I want things constantly thrown in my face to remind me they exist instead of just occasionally browsing through a list/bookmarks of things to see if any of them are things that I forgot existed.

Bookmarks bar.

The psychology of the bookmarks bar is completely different. That's for things you want instant access to at a moment's notice. It's for sites you access frequently, but while it's immediate, there's no urgency to it. If I have a tab open, that page is, in theory, something I intend to eventually deal with, and once I've done so I'll close that tab. Sure, you could use the bookmarks bar like that, but it'd involve deleting bookmarks all the time, and that would be weird.

I highly recommend all tab enthusiasts get a session manager extension for their browser that can auto-save their tabs. I also recommend that they periodically manually save because sometimes your browser crashes and when you relaunch it it turns out it hasn't automated for weeks for some reason.

Or just learn to let go (in the most pathetically small respect imaginable).

(This post is obviously complete nonsense.)

I used to use things like Pocket or Instapaper to save pages for later I didn't want to bookmark because I knew I'd only read it once but those suffered from the same problem as email in that I'd file a bunch of things away to read later and then never read them because I forgot that list existed.  Now I just look at it right away or never see it at all.

this may be better suited under "complicated computer" thread...but my chrome with 8+ tabs has become a memory suck in the last week or so.

i'll frequently open up every article i want to read from whatever sites i check everyday...and then play a dotes round or just walk away for a while - then i get back and my ram use is through the roof & dragging everything else down (like to the point that windows pop-ups up saying close things, out of memory)

did i get a bad update, miss an update, no good at things?

I have like four actual bookmarks in my bookmarks bar which are always the first ones, then if there's a tab I want to make sure I deal with but haven't got time during that session I'll stick it in my bookmarks bar so it's there as a constant reminder of my burden. Regular tabs I'm indifferent to I just leave open.

I find that this helps me get through the perpetually growing list of 'should look at that' shit more easily, because every time I go to open my everyday bookmarks it's there like a slap in the face. Comparatively, tabs are just so easy to ignore.

Inbox zero is a stupid thing.

I'm obviously being sarcastic, but I don't think the intent of it is a bad thing. I think there is a certain amount of mental overhead that comes from managing an uncertain to-do list, and putting procedures in place so that nothing stays uncertain for long seems like a good idea to me.

I just looked up Inbox Zero, and if this is representative:

• Process email periodically throughout the day, perhaps at the top of each hour.
  • First delete or archive as many new messages as possible.
  • Then forward what can be best answered by someone else.
  • Immediately respond to any new messages that can be answered in two minutes or less.
  • Move new messages that require more than two minutes to answer -- and messages that can be answered later -- to a separate "requires response" folder.
  • Set aside time each day to respond to email in the "requires response" folder or chip away at mail in this folder throughout the day.

then it's pretty much common sense; that's just instinctively how I handle email anyway, except my inbox acts as my "requires response" folder (and I therefore save valuable seconds over his method!).

I also practice inbox zero, but not with the specific intent of doing so.  It's just what I've always done.  I can't leave messages or emails for later unless I literally can't spare the seconds it would take to look at them.  I won't necessarily respond in a timely manner but I'll at least see it.

Yeah that's pretty much what it is, and yeah, it's pretty much common sense with a catchy name slathered on top of it, that is basically what Merlin Mann does.