toblix

Awful Day-Ruining Bugs

Do you use a web browser and tend to have a lot of tabs open? Do you also sometimes use multiple browser windows? If so, WATCH THE FUCK OUT. Both Chrome and Firefox do this weird thing when you shut them down (well, it's not that weird from a technical standpoint, but horrible from a usability one,) and only remember the state from the last window you close. So if you have, say, your main browser window, with ten or twenty open tabs, maybe your email and other stuff pinned, and another browser window as well, maybe to test a web page or something, and you close the main window first, YOU'RE TOTALLY SCREWED.

I guess not many people use multiple browser windows (or I don't know what I'm doing.)

I sometimes use a secondary window to put on my secondary monitor to view movies fullscreen. Stupid Flash (and alike) don't have a multimonitor feature :/

I rarely close the secondary window later that the primary window. So, I don't have the problem.

You can actually just use the 'reopen closed tab' feature, it treats a whole window of tabs the same way as a normal tab. :tup:

The shortcut for that is ctrl+shift+T, by the way. I think it works in most browsers. That is knowledge that will improve your life!

Guys, he has like 20 tabs. is there a shortcut for that so you don't have to press it 20 times?

Ctrl+Shift+N will reopen the closed window with all its tabs in Firefox

Guys, he has like 20 tabs. is there a shortcut for that so you don't have to press it 20 times?

In Chrome, when you close 20 tabs, instead of a list of 20 different websites it'll just say "20 tabs" in the recently closed list.

Yeah, that's what I meant. You just hit that function and your whole window of tabs will come right back up. I know because I make this mistake a lot in Chrome. ;(

Guys, I was kidding! Obviously I knew these things. I was just pulling your "legs"!

I rarely ever have more than 10 tabs. People with more than 10 tabs open, regularly, are bat shit insane.

Also surprisingly useful when browsing porinteresting nature articles. Just is.

It's so hot here that my computer up and blue-screened, and since Mozilla is a garbage organization employing only useless hacks that only produce terrible software, all my tabs were lost. I had about fifty or so, and they were all cool things I wanted to read or watch, but didn't have the time for then and there.

Now I only have the four pinned tabs, and nothing but the Idle Forums. If you have a cool tab open, can I have it please?

My god I feel like some kind of n00b, I very rarely have more than 4 tabs open at any one time... I don't think I've ever had more than 10.

I currently have 40 tabs open in Firefox on my main monitor and 10 or so tabs in Chrome on my other monitor.  For some reason when I full-screen things on my second monitor in Firefox it goes full screen on my main monitor so I use Chrome, but other than that I'm committed to Firefox because I need my add-ons.

I've been cutting back on tabs a bit recently. I'd been using session managers to maintain unread tabs for months, accumulating more and more each day, but eventually I realized I was never going to actually get around to reading them, and I keep having to restart the browser for updates, and the tab buttons were getting really tiny, so now I tend to restrain myself to around ten and not worry too much about keeping things from session to session. I do have the old mega-sessions saved, because my neurosis would give me palpitations if I didn't, but I doubt I'll ever go back and look through them.

I basically keep tabs open as an alternative to bookmarks (I do use bookmarks for some things, but if I want to remember something I'll leave a tab open so that I see it as if I made a bookmark and forgot about it I wouldn't remember to look for it).

Speaking of tabs, does anyone know if you can reorder tabs on Chrome for Android? I have around 20 tabs open usually on my phone and try and keep them in a certain order, but sometimes I'll accidentally close one and when I go and restore it it just puts it at the bottom instead of where it was which annoys me.

Have you learned nothing?! Open tabs are fleeting things, easily lost like tears in rain should the browser crash or fuck up. Just look:

unjdSGA.png

Among those anonymous gray tabs are cool stuff I'll get around to, like updating my resume, a cool t-shirt, some youtube videos that were too long to watch at the time, a bunch of Cara Ellison articles, a Hearthstone strats page, an article on the linguist who made the language for Game of Thrones and much more. At any time, the slightest error in any of thousands of interacting software components can delete all this in the blink of an eye, and I'll have no way to recall their existence. It's crazy. It's 2014, apparently we can "put a man on the moon" but not keeping track of a couple of tabs is apparently an impossible problem in the field of computer science. Just fucking write them to a file or something! Jesus.

Oh, speaking of having many tabs. Whenever I restart Chrome, all the Soundclouds and Youtubes start playing at once. This is software developed by the company Google. At least Firefox has the sense to not automatically load all the tabs.