Sign in to follow this  
TheLastBaron

Guild Wars 2

the digital copy was sold out on Amazon and through Arena Net (which is weird for a digital copy).

Apparently ArenaNet has stopped selling digital copies for the moment because of overpopulation causing server problems. However, I'm not sure if they're actively trying to scale the servers, get more servers or are just waiting for the concurrent population to naturally drop off.

My friend just bought the game from them because the digital copy was sold out on Amazon and through Arena Net (which is weird for a digital copy). Same experience, except for the part about getting the serial key.

Yeah I had to wait overnight before they'd let me get my serial key. Seriously, fuck Best Buy. Never buy digital copies of anything from them.

Also, it's amazing how, even though I hate it, I'm quickly falling back into the MMO pattern of run from point to point doing all the shit they offer just to get it done and level up. I am now making the conscious decision to never ever touch any of that shit again. You can level up through WvWvW, right? So, I can play that to get to the point where I can do something interesting instead of this lame "cleverly" disguised typical MMO trope kill X, deliver Y crap?

Also, I guess the more important question is... is WvWvW actually even any good?

Also, it's amazing how, even though I hate it, I'm quickly falling back into the MMO pattern of run from point to point doing all the shit they offer just to get it done and level up.

Whoa, yeah, don't do that. If levels aren't coming naturally, do something else. The PvE doesn't get much more interesting, there are bosses and things out in the world and some light platforming but if it's not doing it for you now then it's never going to do it for you. Get your ass to the Mists.

(XP in WvW comes from the triggered events, not player kills. Defending is going to be the easiest way to get some levels and improve your gear.)

I'm eager for the launch buzz to die down for this game. 'cus right now the queues for WvWvW are hours long, making an element of the game I was really looking forward to nearly impossible to play. MMO launches are never going to go smoothly, are they?

I've really enjoyed this so far. It's been a while since I've played an MMO that presents so bafflingly huge, with so little hand holding.

I like their iteration of the Warhammer Public Quest/Event thing, and how it can transition players from solo to impromptu groups without any work or chatter. You can feel comfortable starting a difficult event because players join in right away.

It seem like they learned a lot of the right lessons from other games, quick travel anytime, some form of bank & mail access anywhere. Those streamlining elements don't make things feel trivial though.

That's too bad, I've been having a super smooth ride, the most terrible thing being thrown back to Lion's Arch in preparation for a patch in WvWvW (I like this abbreviation by the way. It looks like a little sleeping tentacly monster, or 3 men or women waiting for the bus, 2 with an umbrella, but it isn't raining so they put it down) after we finally got a decent team effort going that was even, dare I say, tactical. Our server, Seafarer's Rest, is basically getting the bajeesus pounded out of them. Some say that's because our server has a lower population size, so not as many players. IN ANY CASE, it was so supremely satisfying to take back our entire own map and then proceed to take most of the eternal battle thing including the giant castle while constantly destroying enemy zerg. Anyway, the predictable thing happened where, once we all got kicked out, and 15 minutes later it was impossible to get it back together. Saaaad face.

Still, I'm really pleased with the consistent updates and the excellent communication on what they're doing.

Edit: I jinxed it! I went to do a dungeon and we all kept having the worst lag spikes. It might've been smooth for me because I've not been playing during peak hours. Or more players joined, which also a possibility since we're currently doing pretty well after having been decimated for an entire day. :D

Whoa, yeah, don't do that. If levels aren't coming naturally, do something else. The PvE doesn't get much more interesting, there are bosses and things out in the world and some light platforming but if it's not doing it for you now then it's never going to do it for you. Get your ass to the Mists.

(XP in WvW comes from the triggered events, not player kills. Defending is going to be the easiest way to get some levels and improve your gear.)

You get XP in WvW for people that get finished that you assisted in enough.

You get XP in WvW for people that get finished that you assisted in enough.

I should have been more accurate. You do get XP for player kills. You just don't get a lot, much like killing monsters in PvE doesn't give you much unless they've been alive a while. Defending is still the best way to stay safe and earn XP until you can start getting the nicer gear.

Logged on for the first time in a few months as there's an event going on this weekend open to all levels across loads of zones. Players seem to be rushing from zone to zone helping fight crab people wherever they spring up. The one I attended said that the wizard's tower was under attack and we had to go help.

The lag was awful and no models would load so it was just fireballs and animations everywhere. As soon as you saw an enemy it was dead. I really don't know why they didn't use the overflow servers to help keep the numbers in check.

9GXHi.jpg

And we didn't even get to see any wizards. The sweet floating wizard tower just remained floating there in the distance. Forever out of reach. :(