Sign in to follow this  
Salka

I'm in Berlin! Tell me what to do.

I'm in Berlin for a week. I've already been here three times before because I love it so much.

What should I do? Never mind tourist stuff, I want to find awesome bars, clubs, games rooms, cafés etc. I love German beers (especially a good Dunkel although I know that's not really a specialty of Berlin) so anywhere that has an awesome selection would be nice. Art is also good, and I'd really love to catch some live music but have no idea about music venues... I've previously just stumbled across places by luck.

Anyone have any recommendations?

It's touristy, but don't miss the Pergamon. It's more antiquities than art, but really impressive IMO.

There's entire facades/arches/gateways reconstructed inside.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pergamon+museum+wikipedia&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&rlz=1G1SNNT_ENCA392&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=9oj0T4LLKMWgrAH_yfHFAw&ved=0CEcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=624

i once went to an all night bar in berlin. i missed quite a lot of that conference...

i once went to an all night bar in berlin. i missed quite a lot of that conference...

I will actually spend four days in Berlin due to a conference in August, so I'm interested to hear these recommendations as well. Can't afford to miss the last day of the conference though.

Probably not the most insightful advice and you most likely did that already, but for bars and music you could just go to Kottbusser Tor (U1, U8) and walk around Oranienstraße – lots of interesting places there.

You could check out the Soju Bar (Skalitzerstr. 36) in that area, a quite small and cool club you reach through the backdoor in a Korean food place called Angry Chicken.

You've most probably been there, and I'm not sure how open it still is: Kunsthaus Tacheles – the building and the people might be the only Kunst there, but it is a sight.

For photography-art, check the C/O Berlin in the Postfuhramt – current exhibitions here.

The Bird has good burgers – but it is popular with everyone (and tourists) so you should be there early or better have a reservation.

If the city gets too much, go to Tempelhof, the old airport, which is still in the city, but a wide and open space – you can walk on the former runways, I like it there.

And if you have time for a daytrip out of the city, go to Schlepzig, Unterspreewald, get a kayak – the most wonderful nature, on a weekday just a few people, renting a kayak is quite cheap.

My girlfriend's list was more for beginners, very impressive castorp!

Oh, thanks. My list is mostly beginners/outsider stuff too. I'm sure someone who is actually from Berlin would look down on my list with a condescending smirk.

One other place came to mind: Zosch (Tucholskystrasse 30), a small bar/music-place. They seem to have live music on Friday.

I'm sure someone who is actually from Berlin would look down on my list with a condescending smirk.

Yeah, Berliners are pricks.

Ben X, that list is awesome and I do appreciate it BUT I have already done most of the things on it! Like I said, I've been here a few times before... because unlike Elmeurte, it's about my favourite place in the world. I don't understand how anyone can find it boring or disappointing, it's one of the most vibrant, lively, interesting and amazing places I've ever been. I keep coming back because I never feel like I've even scratched the surface of things to discover here. Today I found a Gay Labyrinth and a some sort of gynecological maze (????). I have no idea how anybody could find it boring or disappointing, particularly given as it doesn't seem to have a real 'centre' like other European cities, so it would be almost impossible not to stumble on SOMEthing amazing no matter where you are...

I'm close to Tempelhof, Castorp! I'm staying in Schoeneberg. Also the Kayak idea sounds amazing, I will definitely check that out. Also the more links to pubs/clubs/live music, the better. Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

Dibs, if you like soul/jazz, I found a place called SoulCat Lounge in Kreuzburg. It's small and awesome and I saw a live ragtime jazz band who used old crates instead of music stands, so that was pretty awesome. I then went to a place called The Rauchhaus (sp?) which was only nearby, where there was more live music and win. So, I can recommend those places :)

If you have a group of people with you there's also a games room somewhere in Friedrichschain (sp again) which I will try to dig out the details of. They have walls and walls of board games and you can sit and play, while helping yourself to delicious dunkel beer and eating toasties :) I had a lot of fun there. Also EDIT: here is the link: http://www.spielwies...lin.de/blog/en/ .

Berlin game designers meet every Monday at 19:00 to test their new prototypes, discuss game ideas and are happy to take questions from gamers. So, if you’d like to meet real game authors, show up on Monday at 19:00 and who knows, maybe you’ll get a chance to play a game before it launches and even give feedback..

I had tickets to see Radiohead on Friday but... disaster struck. :'(

I'm going to see Julia Holter playing tonight if any Berliners are about?

I'm not in Berlin these days, but I'd still be interested in the cool places you find and the stuff you dig up - I am there fairly regularly and would like some exploration-markers.

Okay I have a load of hot tips, which I'll write up later, but the most important one I shall share with you now. Everyone who goes to Berlin has to go to Cassiopeia. There is a beautiful beer garden, a climbing wall built on the side of an old bunker, an awesome venue where I heard some amazing freeform jazz, lots of little cosy bars and cafés, an outdoor cinema, that awesome big blue paddling pool that you always wanted as a child - you know, the most expensive one in the Argos catalogue. There's a skate park built inside an old warehouse that I believe they used to use to fix trains. There's also more, but I can't even begin to describe the awesomeness of it all and the great atmosphere. So everyone should go and do that right now.

From a review on Yelp:

I have no clue, Why people get so excited about this place. All i remember are a bunch of really young people, many dark halls and weird music.